Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Brandy and Karma. More victim's of DDA.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by JSR, May 28, 2010.

1. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

2. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

I have written to the Home Office and so have others, we are yet to receive an answer, correspondence does get read! The more of us write to the Home Office the harder it will be for them to ignore us!

Please take a moment to voice your opinion, it is an injustice and it could happen to your dog, it could happen to your neighbour' s dog.

3. alison

alison PetForums Junior

Some of those who have written to the home sec have had a response stating its not a matter for her and their emails are being forwarded to defra...we beg to differ! If you do get a similar response please email them back,,, a suggested template is below

To whom it may concern,
    Thank you for your quick response to my email however I must insist that my initial correspondance be fowarded to Ms May. You will note that Kit Malthouse, Deputy Mayor of London is stated as contacting Ms May requesting powers to destroy dogs prior to a court hearing and a fair trial. It is therefore, a matter for Ms May to issue a response too.

I seek reassurance from Ms May that this would not be something she would allow and that she would be taking steps to repeal the legislation that has failed in such a spectacular fashion.

I look forward to hearing from her directly as swiftly as I have heard from you.

Kind regards.

4. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

flippin heck i need some tissues

Gorgeous girls and im really pleased they made it out. x

Oh and i'll do the letter aswell

5. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

Thank you Alison, I will keep that in mind. Although they have not replied to me as yet, could they start to feel uncomfortable. I will quote your post of the other ongoing thread about his if you don't mind.

More of a reason for more people to write.

Please this is important.

#5 dodigna, May 28, 2010
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
  6. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Would be interesting to know more statistics TBH. They say 51.2% of dogs were killed but dont tell you what percentage were pitbull puppies or aggressive sadly 'many' isnt a quantifiable amount.:confused:
    Nice dogs though, I dont see how anyone could look at them and think they were a banned breed?

7. MontyA

MontyA PetForums Member

I didn't get through it without crying. Will do the letter.

8. alison

alison PetForums Junior

"Many" is used because the Met dont keep figures on how many are pups.

What we DO know is between 28th Febuary 2009 and 1st Jan 2010 the Metropolitian Police seized 498 dogs under section 1 of the Act as alledged pit bull types. 470 of those dogs had committed no crime other than be accused of looking a certain way yet would still spend time in secure kennels at the taxpayers expense.

We deal daily with many people who have their dogs seized. If the dog has a litter of pups those are taken too. I have only ever seen one litter get out alive and ive seen many litters destroyed.

The problem is you cannot id pups properly until 7 -9 months and spending that long in kennels as a young pup will ensure the pup misses out on alot and may become unhomeable. So often if they win, they cant get the pups back.

If the pups are deemed pit bull type, they cannot be rehomed and no judge is going to register 5 or more pups to a single person.

So many of the dogs that die are pups.

dodigna likes this.
  9. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I sent a letter off to her today so I'll see what response I get. Those dogs didn't deserve that no dog does just for looks

10. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

Possibly Alison might have that information but I know that of the 498 dogs seized last year by the Met. police only 28 have been charged under Sec. 3 (the bit above behaving dangerously).

Puppies form a large part of the destruction figures because a seized litter is pretty much doomed regardless of temperament. The main reason for this is that the law allows for stable dogs to be returned to owners under strict conditions, one of which is that the dog cannot be sold, gifted or passed on. When the police raid a dwelling and seize an adult bitch and six puppies the court may return the adult dog but it will not return the litter because the owner would not be able to safely cope with seven restricted dogs nor legally sell or gift them to anyone else.

Edit to add: Ah - I see Alison types faster than me.

#10 Johnderondon, May 28, 2010
  11. alison

alison PetForums Junior

Maybe so JDR but i cant do a website for toffee lol :thumbup:

12. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Ahh, I didnt realiese that. Not many other people do I bet!!
    Even though I have silly little toy dogs I am a big fan of bigger breeds. Its a shame they have to suffer for the fault of bad owners and bad legislation.:(

13. alison

alison PetForums Junior

I think many dont realise much about it all at all. The authorities like to keep everything pretty quiet. We see all sorts and are not too shocked these days but sometime they do something that even I find hard to really believe. I keep saying one day, ill write a book about whats really happening...if i ever do it will cause shockwaves in every direction.

14. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

perhaps you should shock us then :) Tell us what really happens (if it is legal to do so).
    It is such a dreadful thing that is happening and yet people don't seem all that bothered, take this thread 97 views and 12 responses :(
    makes me feel people rather turn the page if they are not affected directly when they are the ones that can make a difference...

15. alison

alison PetForums Junior

:) One day maybe but for now its more useful to know it and say nothing. We say enough that imho should shock people into action. We can only just keep trying x

16. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

Replied on the other thread - have written and emailed already - havent had a response as yet but will use Alison's suggested response (or something similar) above if I do get the standard response about DEFRA etc.

I dont have and never have had dogs that could be seen as 'type' and I don't even really know anyone that has, but it hasn't stopped me writing in as I feel this is just criminal, it really is.

The Dangerous Dogs Act & BSL itself is a sham, the recent stuff about wanting to kill the seized dogs, as per the other thread etc...it is just terrible and for anyone thinking that it wont happen to them and their dogs - well what if they decide that other breeds need to be put on the list?? Then what? Then the dogs you previously thought safe from all this nastiness are not safe at all - and then it will matter! So write in now and make a difference!!

Its madness, it really is :mad:

#16 katiefranke, May 28, 2010
    dodigna likes this.
  17. julianne

julianne PetForums Member

I have wrote a letter and got a reply back saying they would forward it to Defra and i replied back with the response you suggested .I have had nothing back as yet .

18. dodigna

dodigna PetForums VIP

Funnily enough I just got that reply as well, will post the body of it so we can all compare whether it is the same (very likely)

Will respond as per suggested by Alison :)

19. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

Well done!:thumbup:

<applause>

20. julianne

julianne PetForums Member

Mine was just the basic response :-

Reference : T9402/10

Date: 28-May-2010

TREAT OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE

Thank you for your e-mail of 28/05/2010 15:10:06 regarding.....

The matters you have raised are the responsibility of Department for
    Environment Food & Rural Affairs.

We have therefore transferred your e-mail to
    OGD.transfers@defra.gsi.gov.uk, who will arrange for a reply to be sent to
    you.

Transfer Desk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice