Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Brand new puppy owner - scared stiff!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Ruthipegs, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Ruthipegs

Ruthipegs PetForums Newbie

Hi all,
    I'm Ruth and a brand new owner of a 9 week old (today) miniature dachshund pup named Herbert.

I've joined after seeing loads of advice on here after frantically googling for tips at silly o'clock in the morning for the past few days.

We only got Herbert a few days ago. He's a cutie, but I totally underestimated how exhausting and demanding a new pup is. I'd been researching for ages, yet nothing prepared me for reality. 10 times worse than a new baby!

I'm in desperate need of support. I think I'm suffering from "puppy blues" and was all set to give him back to the breeder yesterday morning. Husband said that I'd regret it and shouldn't make a decision after having 4 hours sleep in 2 days, so am grinning and bearing it at the moment. I still feel hugely tearful and thinking what the hell have I done?

He's a sweet dog, appears quite intelligent, though we are getting nowhere with toilet training. He won't go in the garden at all, and seems to go wherever, whenever. He also chases my cats, which I know is normal, but I'm struggling with.

Up till yesterday he had huge attachment issues with me - I totally understand- but left me feeling I couldn't breathe and would never be alone again. Read some tips and this had gotten better. Husband did "night shift" last night.

Please tell me this gets better. I'm fearful we'll never get a good night's sleep or be able to leave the house again.

Thanks for listening.

2. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello Ruth.
    I've moved your post to Dog Chat so more people can see it and advise.
    At the top of this section is a thread for puppy owners, you should find that helpful.
    I don't know much about puppies but plenty about dachshunds as I own a mini-wire and lost another one just before Christmas at 15 yrs old, both taken on as adults. Wonderful little dogs !
    We need pictures of your puppy please.:)
    Meantime adopt the mantra ' this too will pass'. You will have a devoted friend before you know it.

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Puppies are hard work but I wonder if you are making it harder for yourself. I have had lots of puppies in my time and I have never really got up to them in the night. Usually my husband, who is a late bird , takes pup out at midnight and then puts it to bed and I get up at 6. Most pups are happy to sleep for 6 hours. Is he crate trained. You could have his crate beside your bed initially if you are concerned about him and then you can reassure him easily and also hear if he is getting very restless and needs to go in the garden.

Start leaving him alone in a room or preferably go out of the house every day. If you do not build it up from day one you have a pup that expects you are a permanent fixture. My pups have always been left from day one, admittedly usually with another dog but my current two were both left in a crate for at least an hour or so from day one because I did not want a small pup on the farm with me and my other dog was out with me.

As for house training. You need to carry him out to the garden if he doesnt go willingly and stay out with him till he performs. This is every time he wakes up, every time he is fed, every time he pauses in play, every time he sniffs the floor. Loads of praise when he has gone and try and introduce a word like 'have a wee' or 'hurry up' first of all as he does a wee or poo and then when he understands the two go together you can start to ask him to go. Some pups take longer than others but if you pay attention and never give him the opportunity to go in the house accidents should get few and far between.

Good luck with it. I actually have a friend with a mini dachshund who is about a year old and he was a puppy from hell unlike her previous one who was an angel so they can vary.

4. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

And breathe this is all normal I promise it does pass. It's only been a few days he will pick up toilet training as long as you are consistent don't use pads. Where is he sleeping? My puppy is six months old and is fine with toileting and being left now but he nearly got taken back to thebreeder a few times it is seriously stressful at first. With the attachment take it slow he has just left his mum and siblings this will pass. Loads of advice on the puppy support thread.

Oh and we must have puppy pics ! As susie said you will soon have a friend for life.

5. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum PetForums Junior

Hello and welcome to the forum

You will find lots of advice on here and as all pups have different needs you need to pick which ones suit your pup. and of course just as important your family!
    My pup is six months old now and so we have recently gone through this world of confusion and hopefully are coming out the other side!
    For the first few weeks we took it in turns to sleep on the sofa with puppy pads in the kitchen, this worked as it was December and freezing! After a few weeks of this we decided that we both needed to be in bed! So we took Dan in with us - we all slept until early morning, progressed from that to him sleeping on the floor by the bed - he does have a bed but is always by my side of the bed in the morning on my dressing gown! (please don't gasp in horror it was worth it for us to do this, I know it's not the "right way"). We took it slowly and although it took a while we now have a pup that is happy to go for a pee in the garden but prefers to poop on his walks lol. I too was in tears as lack of sleep and frustration at the whole puppy ownership responsibilty thing hit home. The toileting the biting/chewing, food refusals, tummy upsets etc etc....
    I would recommend puppy training classes- it taught me so much, not just behaviour but how often to walk what collar and lead and id disc you need, loads of information I was ignorant of. If you have had dogs before you will know all this but it helped me massively and Dan has a good citizen award and is working towards bronze.
    Please don't give up you absolutely will get through this - and look forward to regular pupdates. ((*))

6. Ruthipegs

Thank you all for the replies.

Good to know it will pass! It's rather tough at the mo.

We are first time dog owners so all this is brand new to us!

He sleeps in a crate in our living area, but considering moving him to the kitchen with a stair gate and crate open so he can toilet in night without us? Is this advisable. Same for lrwging him in day - closed crate or open crate/ kitchen.

He's having loads of toileting accidents in the house... we take him out, but it seems he's holding it until he's back in? He's going all over the place too - totally random.

We've just left him for the first time for 30/ 45 mins (have worked up towards it). He was barking/ crying when we left, but quiet when back. Quite hyper after.

Struggling to find treats a 9 week old can have. Have a kong with some kibble in it, but he's not quite worked it out.

He isn't going to be allowed upstairs - we have cats so that's their safe place!

Have attached some pics.

Attached Files:

DanWalkersmum likes this.
  7. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Lovely pictures , he looks angelic !
    Stick around for more advice and support and get hold of a book called ' Easy-peasy,Puppy squeezy'.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Easy+peasy+puppy+squeezy&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

8. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Not really - ideally you want every toilet to be outside so he 'gets it' that outside is the place to go. Once you crack toilet training it all gets easier because you don't have the same cleaning to do.

Toilet training happens when two things come together - the ABILITY to hold the toilet, along with the DESIRE to hold it in order to earn the reward for doing so.

Ideally you want him to not be in a position where he needs to toilet before you have him outdoors. So set him up to succeed by taking him out even more than he needs; for example every 45 minutes to an hour and always after sleeping, eating, playing. The time between a puppy realising they need to toilet, and being unable to hold that toilet, is zero. So your aim is to have him outside before he can't help himself. When he toilets outdoors make a huge fuss (never mind the neighbours, act like outdoor toileting is the best thing you have ever seen) and reward him with a high value treat. Do that immediately, don't make him come to you for the treat so he is clear that it's for toileting and not for coming to you. The idea is that he eventually wants to earn the treat enough to hold the toilet until he is outside - once he is physically able to control his toileting obviously.

If you take him out and he doesn't toilet after five minutes, bring him in but don't take your eyes off him. Any hint of a toilet inside, scoop him up and get him out fast. If he doesn't try to toilet indoors (great!) take him out a second time and repeat until you do get outside toilets. You need the outside toilet to happen SO that you can reward SO that he learns.

If he has an accident inside don't react at all. If you get annoyed he may learn to fear your reaction and avoid you if he needs to toilet - the opposite of what you want. Dogs cant make the distinction between you being annoyed at him toileting, as opposed to toileting indoors. Take a rolled up newspaper and hit yourself over the head for not having taken him outside in time. Not when he is there though in case you scare him. Then clean the area with an enzymatic cleaner to remove any trace of smell that might attract him back to the spot. As he is actually performing the toilet you can introduce words he can associate with it (like 'do weewee' and 'busy busy') that later when he is reliably trained you can use these to tell him when you want him to toilet.

Indoors if you see him circling or scratching the floor, that can sometimes precede toileting so get him out fast.

Overnight he is unlikely to be able to control his toilet as his little bladder and bowel are underdeveloped and not strong enough to hold all night so definitely keep setting your alarm to take him out at least once if not twice during the night.

9. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Great advice about toileting above it's normal for them not to get it at first I would sleep on the sofa with the crate next to you for a few weeks. This will settle him. Build up leaving him slowly start with 5 to 10 minutes. Settle with a stuffed kong.

When I first got my old boy (he is five now) I kept getting up to take him to the toilet he would have slept through otherwise. If you hear sniffing or movement get him out.

Ps if it doesn't work out stick a stamp on his bottom and send him to me he is gorgeous!

10. Ruthipegs

This is really helpful - thank you so much. Especially the part about bringing him in after 5 mins then out again if sniffing... I've been spending a cold half hour out there everytime!

JoanneF likes this.
  11. Ruthipegs

Haha, butter wouldn't melt. He is a darling.

12. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum PetForums Junior

He's gorgeous! Good advice on keep taking him out loads as you have learned , he will pee and poop at will at this stage.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice