Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Brainless....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by BredaKim, Jan 14, 2008.

1. BredaKim

BredaKim PetForums Member

Brainless please see HERE

2. Brainless

Brainless Guest

Have replied.

Just to add that a problem is considered to be breed related if it occurs more frequently than in the general population, or that occurs in all dogs frequently.

So all breeds should be hip scored but other health issues are tested for if they are a breed problem, like Elbow scoring in Labradors.

If you tried to test for every possible problem it just wouldn't' be workable (not to mention some problems have no tests and only pedigree research to avoid problem areas helps.

Of course all problems should be notified to breed clubs so that if a problem appears to be emerging steps can be taken to nip things in the bud.

You will need to inform the stud dog owner, and also the owner of your bitches parents that a pup with haemophilia has been produced, and informing the breed club will mean they can get advice from a canine geneticist as to how to avoid this problem spreading further.

you can even contact the Kennel Clubs Geneticist Geoff Samson directly via the Kennel Clbu website. He is very nice.

3. BredaKim

BredaKim PetForums Member

Hi Brainless,

Read both the attachments, again very interesting reads. I was advised by the vet to contact all the pups new owners...which I have done, but not the stud dog or Megan's parents. However, having read your post, I will do so.
    I will also contact the Kennel Clubs Geneticist Geoff Samson...or find a way to!
    It would be good to get more advice on the labrador with this problem. It appears so far, that only the one pup is affected, he has haemophilia A factor 8. Other pup owners are in the process awaiting blood test results from their own vets, but none, so far, have shown any signs of the illness, only Banjo.
    He has been for several tests and been in and out of the surgery for overnight testing, blood transfusions etc. We should get his results back tomorrow (fingers crossed) to see just how much factor 8 he is producing or himself. We are hoping the results are good for his sake, but the slightest knock causes a bleed in him...not good considering he's a pup and you can't protect him from play! :(

Many, many thanks for the advice...will let you know how I get on with the KC club and local breed club.

Breda :)

4. Brainless

Brainless Guest

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice