Have just had a distressing phone call from a friend telling us his Labrador has now been diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumour. The dog has been undergoing tests for a while, with possibilities of thyroid trouble or Horner's syndrome, but now a brain scan has shown the worst. Options seem to be chemotherapy, with possibility of giving the dog a couple more years, or steroids, giving shorter lifetime but easing discomfort in the meantime. This is a sweet and very much loved dog, and owner is torn between wanting to do the best for him and not wanting to put him through stressful treatment which might only prolong discomfort. I know nothing about brain tumours and their treatment. Have been looking up on line, and it seems to me that chemotherapy would entail quite a lot of travel (possibly putting owner's job at risk if he has to take time off), cost a lot more than I suspect owner can realistically spare, be quite a lot to put a dog through, and have no guarantee of results. I've seen the treatment quoted as twelve sessions over four weeks, and none of the treatment centres seem to be near us in the south-west, so from where I'm standing it doesn't sound like the best option, given that it wouldn't give the dog his full lifespan and that there are possible bad side effects. But I know that if it were my dog I would be absolutely torn as to what to do, as is this dog's owner. Has anyone any helpful/supportive/practical comments that I can pass on? This is a horrible thing to happen to a great dog and a great owner, and I would love to be able to help in some way, even if only to support a decision to let the dog go.