UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tetra or Canned?

What website is the best value?I bought from zooplus but there has to be a cheaper option?Zooplus are the worst for delivery they use yodel or 50 p extra for parcel force,but they take like 5 days to dispatch it.Its a joke in my eyes

·
Registered
280 Posts
I use the Tetra packs, and I also purchase from zooplus, i am planning to try the cans on my next order though.

Wow 5 days? I get mine in 2 days which is great. Maybe send them an email?

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Tetra or Canned?

What website is the best value?I bought from zooplus but there has to be a cheaper option?Zooplus are the worst for delivery they use yodel or 50 p extra for parcel force,but they take like 5 days to dispatch it.Its a joke in my eyes
Well, you will only get the canned from zooplus. The tetrapaks you can get in other places but imo they aren't much better than Whiskas and co. So, if I had to feed Bozita, I would stick to the pate tins. But I think there are other brands I would feed either instead or in addition.

Don't forget though that you really shouldn't get "stuck" on just one brand. Much better to have a few brands in a rotation to avoid food boredom and to cover nutritional bases. Also, if they change a recipe and your cat doesn't like the "improvement" or if they stop doing it, then you aren't left scrambling around for an alternative.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Canned is better in my opinion the tetra packs look like whiskas and there is lots of jelly in there ( i've only seen the jelly ones). I haven't had any proplems with zooplus delivery. I have ordered on a sunday and recieved on a wednesday. I don't think it is that long to wait really.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, you will only get the canned from zooplus. The tetrapaks you can get in other places but imo they aren't much better than Whiskas and co. So, if I had to feed Bozita, I would stick to the pate tins. But I think there are other brands I would feed either instead or in addition.

Don't forget though that you really shouldn't get "stuck" on just one brand. Much better to have a few brands in a rotation to avoid food boredom and to cover nutritional bases. Also, if they change a recipe and your cat doesn't like the "improvement" or if they stop doing it, then you aren't left scrambling around for an alternative.
I have just finished full time study and I am looking for a Job now,as soon as I get a full time position I am going to get a few different brands of food.I was thinking Animonda Carny/Bozita

Funny thing is before the internet I had 2 cats that lived till they where 17/19 and I didnt really put much thought into nutrition

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Herrmanns seem pretty impressive

Herrmanns Organic-Menu Mixed Value Pack 36 x 85g at zooplus

High meat content,no carbs and decent price.They say only 1 packet for a 4kg cat?Seems they must have such good ingredients you dont require alot

I do appreciate everyone's help here,I understand I am asking a lot of questions but I have a greater understanding now of cat nutrition.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
I have just finished full time study and I am looking for a Job now,as soon as I get a full time position I am going to get a few different brands of food.I was thinking Animonda Carny/Bozita

Funny thing is before the internet I had 2 cats that lived till they where 17/19 and I didnt really put much thought into nutrition
I still wouldn't discount the likes of grau - it is slightly "better" food imo and you should be able to feed less of it than you do with the Bozita and the Animonda.

We hear this "argument" here so often. At the end of the day, feed what you want to feed them. If you are interested in what goes into your cats' food I don't think you would go back to feeding them what you used to feed before you had a look. Also, before the internet, you didn't have quite the variety of food available to you.

If you don't care, then make your life easier and just pop to the supermarket and grab whatever you want off the shelf. As long as it is a "complete" food it ought to contain the nutrients cats need to survive. But I personally have different yardsticks but each to their own.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Herrmanns seem pretty impressive

Herrmanns Organic-Menu Mixed Value Pack 36 x 85g at zooplus

High meat content,no carbs and decent price.They say only 1 packet for a 4kg cat?Seems they must have such good ingredients you dont require alot

I do appreciate everyone's help here,I understand I am asking a lot of questions but I have a greater understanding now of cat nutrition.
No, you need to feed more than one sachet. It also has the weirdest consistency - sloppy mash. And yes, it does contain carbs - just look at the ingredient list but because they are using the crudest of crude analyses, it doesn't quite calculate.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, you need to feed more than one sachet. It also has the weirdest consistency - sloppy mash. And yes, it does contain carbs - just look at the ingredient list but because they are using the crudest of crude analyses, it doesn't quite calculate.
I cannot find the analyse part :S

See the ingredients,has veg in it.

Which brands do you recommend?From expensive to middle of the road?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
I cannot find the analyse part :S

See the ingredients,has veg in it.

Which brands do you recommend?From expensive to middle of the road?

Thanks
Didn't chillmix recommend you some brands in another thread: http://www.petforums.co.uk/1062404112-post2.html and my response: http://www.petforums.co.uk/1062405310-post7.html ;)

The analyses or analytical constituents are at the bottom here: Herrmanns Menu: Bargain Prices at zooplus. To calculate carbs at crude analysis you take the macronutrients - ie. moisture, protein, fat, fibre and ash away from 100. What remains are carbs. To be able to compare the carb content of one food with the carb content of another food you need to derive the dry matter content, which is 100 - moisture content. You then take your carb content / (100-moisture) to get the carb content at dm.

However, because the analyses in Europe are mostly given at "crude" level, they aren't always neat and you oftentimes end up with - numbers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Didn't chillmix recommend you some brands in another thread: http://www.petforums.co.uk/1062404112-post2.html and my response: http://www.petforums.co.uk/1062405310-post7.html ;)

The analyses or analytical constituents are at the bottom here: Herrmanns Menu: Bargain Prices at zooplus. To calculate carbs at crude analysis you take the macronutrients - ie. moisture, protein, fat, fibre and ash away from 100. What remains are carbs. To be able to compare the carb content of one food with the carb content of another food you need to derive the dry matter content, which is 100 - moisture content. You then take your carb content / (100-moisture) to get the carb content at dm.

However, because the analyses in Europe are mostly given at "crude" level, they aren't always neat and you oftentimes end up with - numbers.
I did get some samples sent out to me from the company (Natures Menu) lets see what my moggy likes :) maybe I will use Bozita/Natures Menu and later add in one more perhaps to mix things up

So Hermanns has 2.6 carbs?I think I have done my Calcs right..Thanks for the explanation

·
Registered
212 Posts
My cats only eat the gravy options (tetra packs). Is the opinion here that I am giving them no better than standard whiskars/ felix because of the gravy etc? I thought this was a good middle ground between completely meaty food (which they won't eat because no gravy) and supermarket quality (which I want to avoid because of the low meat content)

·
Registered
212 Posts
They will also only eat chunks of meat which is why I have so many unused HiLife pouches (like mince!) also Smilla and Animonda Carny, all minced up meat not proper chunks.

Are all Bozita chunks or are some like th emince/ pate style? If so please let me know which these are so I can avoid making any more expensive mistakes!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They will also only eat chunks of meat which is why I have so many unused HiLife pouches (like mince!) also Smilla and Animonda Carny, all minced up meat not proper chunks.

Are all Bozita chunks or are some like th emince/ pate style? If so please let me know which these are so I can avoid making any more expensive mistakes!
What have you done with all the food you have bought but your cat does like?If you still have them tell me what you have and how many perhaps I could take some off your hands

PM me

·
Registered
14,207 Posts

Bozita tins are pate style - look at the food club sticky at the top for food exchanges/ selling etc

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
My cats only eat the gravy options (tetra packs). Is the opinion here that I am giving them no better than standard whiskars/ felix because of the gravy etc? I thought this was a good middle ground between completely meaty food (which they won't eat because no gravy) and supermarket quality (which I want to avoid because of the low meat content)
The meat bit is good quality - it's just the gravy and jelly that let it down. But if that is all they will eat it's better than Whiskas (imo)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Also can anyone tell me if they know of any wet cat food (in chunks, not pate style) which has a pork free recipe? I've been looking round zooplus but most of them seem to contain pork/ or are pate style free from pork.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.