Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bozita

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by sarahdisco, Jun 30, 2010.

1. sarahdisco

sarahdisco PetForums VIP

Sorry - me again!

Re: Adult food.

I've tried Felix (she's not keen - neither am I), Tiger Select (she's keen, I'm not), Hi Life (She's not keen - I was happy), and now I'm thinking maybe she will like Bozita, seeing as it's a Jelly one - and she seems to like jelly.

It may be because I'm knackered... but have I got my math right?

Spartacus is 2.5kg so based on the feeding guide on the Zooplus website, if I get the canned variety she'll need around 250g per day. as I'm feeding dry too (only a small amount) say I drop the feeding to 200g per day means 1 can lasts 2 days.

With me so far?

Zooplus has 12 cans for £11.90 which means its just under £1 per can, 50p per day.

Is that right? At the minute we feed Felix Kitten - at £3 a box for 12 pouches. £0.25 per pouch which at 3 a day works out at 0.75 per day?

Am I right in thinking that Bozita is working out cheaper?! The only thing I can think which affects this is the amount we feed. But, if we make the transition to Iams dry (she's had a samply pack and LOVED it) as her dry food, what sort of amount should I be feeding, bearing in mind the half tin per day of Bozita.

Sorry if this is mega confusing, just want to make sure I ahve the sums right before I tell OH.

This also depends on her liking it! Does anywhere do single cans that are easy to get hold of (delivery charges etc!!!)

On another note - I have 3 tins of HiLife Essentials Pate going spare if anyone wants it - the Vet wouldnt take it for strays or to give to the cat sanctuary and I cant get down there without a car.

If you want it - PM me.

Thanks!

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Ah someone else has caught the calculator bug today :D :thumbup:

Just to point out that the Bozita tins are pate, not chunks like the tetrapacks. The Bozita tins also contain 97% meat, whereas the tetrapacks contain 93% meat. So, if your cat eats pate, then go for the tins.

As far as I know you cannot get the bozita tins anywhere by Zooplus, and they unfortunately don't sell them singly.

Your sums are right, tinned Bozita will work out cheaper than Felix pouches and it is miles better food. :D

3. sarahdisco

sarahdisco PetForums VIP

Damn - hadnt realised it was Pate. She doesnt like Pate!

Back to play with the calculator - and my mega cat food spreadsheet (I really do have the data bag today!)

Does Bozita in Jelly resemble anywhere near the same value as the tins? Or is there a decent Jelly alternative thats in a similar price bracket?

Sorry for the million questions but dont know what to do now! Wouldnt be a problem if she werent so fussy!

4. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

Sounds about right to me - 1/2 tin per day does work out about 50p if you buy the twelve pack.
    Bear in mind that the tins are heavy pate type rather than chunks in jelly though.

You'd be amazed at the price difference.

I was feeding one Matures Menu am and one HilLife pm, each, to my 2 and it was costing almost £12 a week.
    I worked out I could feed either Bozita or Animonda Carny tins for as little as £6.99 a week, and Smilla for only £5.24 a week!

I think there are two things that make a difference:

1) Decent food means you need to feed less, so its more cost effective.

2) Bulk buying saves loads of money! Most UK foods (from the awful to the excellent) come in teeny tins or pouches only 75 - 100g, and the biggest pack avalaible is 12 - which lasts no time.
    The imported stuff comes in larger sizes (usually around 400g) and in packs ranging from 6, to 54 for bozita tetra packs.

5. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

If your cat likes the tetra packs and you buy in serious bulk:

You get 54 packs for £48 currently, so 24p per 100g.
    A 2kg cat needs 230g per day, so about 55p per day.

Would obviously suggest buying in much smaller quantities first though just in case!

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Of all the chunks in jelly foods with a high meat content Bozita tetrapacks are the cheapest. Maths already done by Colette who has also caught the calculator bug :D

Ooh, I also have a cat food database! Maybe we should combine?

7. sarahdisco

sarahdisco PetForums VIP

I've just started mine - I'm only doing Zooplus prices at the minute but my idea is to have:

Amount to Feed Per Day
    Cost Per Pack
    Cost Per Serving
    Cost Per Day

Not factoring in price fluctuations (cant imagine it would vary too much in the couple of weeks it'll take me!) and that Im feeding dry too (we'll I will eventually when she eats these bloomin Tiger biscuits!) but hopefully it'll give me a decent idea of whether its worth it.

When I've finished mine I'll send it over!

I wish these high quality companies would do sample packs - maybe with a discount off a full order if you decide to go for it!

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

You know - I keep saying exactly the same - sample packs of different equal quality food. But i guess the money for them is in you buying a lot of six to find that they don't eat it and you then need to buy another lot of 6 from a different brand to try.

Your database will complement mine - so maybe we should pool knowledge. I am looking at ingredients, analyses, dry analyses etc - so your stuff would fit in fabulously. :D

9. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Oooooh help me too then!! :) Lola is a small female kitty cat...I will try and weigh her in a minute. Now, does one stick to the amount recommended or...feed them until they don't want anymore?? For instance....I have just put down half a tin of her favourite food (Turkey in gravy) and she has not eaten it. She is a fan of biscuits though. :)

Lets start a cat food calculator thread!! :) :)

10. sarahdisco

sarahdisco PetForums VIP

Yeah i guess so - I still keep looking at the mini wine bottle in ASDA - (you know the ones where you buy the mini bottle - and if you end up buying the full one you get money off. ) and thinking - I wish they did that with cat food!!!

Well sorry to gross everyone out but I've just done her tray and what i thought was true - she dont like HiLife Pate! Tried it out last night and it doesnt seem to have agreed with her (although I'm not sure if it's because it's completely different to the chunks in jelly varieties - her tum dont like it.0

Back to Tiger Select for a few days I think - want her to get "back to normal" before i try any new food again.

Gives me plenty of time to get this spreadsheet done!

11. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

If she is just a slight build then I would stick to the recommended amount. If she needs feeding up then feed her slightly more.

Did she not eat her food tonight because she had enough biscuits you think?

12. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

13. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Yes, she has been inside all day today whilst I have been at work. She will eat the wet food overnight usually. What is the recommended amount of wet food? I have a feeder down for biscuits so they are always down. She is of slender build :) Shes beautiful :)

14. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Well, you are jolly tonight!

What is the recommended daily portion for wet? Well, that depends on what you feed.:D The likes of felix etc it is probably 3-4 pouches, bozita it would be one tetrapack and with high end pate food it is about 200g.

15. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

There is no way Lola eats 3-4 pouches of the likes of Felix or Whiskas. She loves Asda chunks in gravy and she grazes on biscuits so 1 tetrapack would probably be enough for both cats (when Oscar is older). I won't be putting Oscar straight on it...I think it might be too rich for him after being on Whiskas and Arden Grange biscuits.

Hobbs...do you feed both wet and dry? How do you do it? Do you have dry down allllll the time? I feed Lola in the morning before work and when I get home from work. Do you think this is enough? Obviously I can't feed her during the day but I often give her Morrisons cat milk as she loves it. (Maybe I spoil her a little bit sometimes and give her little bits of cheese too :lol: )

16. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Mine get a raw meal in the morning and another in the evening. No dry food - they have dried chicken breast for treats or some prawns or yes, some bits of cheese.

I think you would know if your set-up isn't working for you, don't you think? You said yourself that she is a slight, lithe girl. So feeding them wet in the morning and the evening and leaving dry down too - well, that sounds like plenty of access to food. :)

17. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Yes indeed. I suppose you are right. :) Felix was slightly overweight before I moved to this house in March. In just 2 months he slimmed down and was happy and healthy. So I think that the set-up is good. hehe.

Anyway, back to Bozita.

For £5.99 you get 6 x 370g which works out at 54p per 200g. So, roughly, 1 tetrapack should last one day. I will see soon enough because I am going to order a pack when my kitten arrives.

I think I will try Applaws too...£11.99 for 2kg. Lola eats about 50g a day I would day. This works out to about 30p a day. Good stuff.

Does anyone want to borrow my calculator? Its purple!! :lol: :lol:

18. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Lol!

Why 200g of Bozita tetrapacks per cat? :confused:

Doh, figured it out by myself - you also feed dry!

#18 hobbs2004, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  19. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

hehe...you defo need to borrow my calculator. It is 2 more sleeps until I pick up my little Oscar. I have just been having a look at the P@H website and they have a range called Purely. Lola loves the pate cartons they have and they are 90% meat so I am going to try her on they dry food. It is only 40% but when Oscar is bigger I will move them both onto Applaws.

Thanks for your help Hobbs :)

20. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

Ooh - where have you found Applaws dry for £11.99? I paid £13 something for mine and I thought that was good.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice