Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

boy and girl kitten?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Scratcher26, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Scratcher26

Scratcher26 PetForums Newbie

we have recently got a girl kitten, misty, and we have had her for three weeks and she is 12 weeks old. We are thinking of getting another kitten for company and think it is best to do it when she is young. We were thinking of getting a boy kitten but I'm not sure if boy and girl cats get along. Any comments are much appreciated. Thank you x

2. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

Hey! A girl and a boy should get on fine as they are still very young..They will (should) just play together...They will prob play fight but nothing major..

Its only if you have a boy or a girl alot older and then you introduce another cat in the house..
    so 2 kittens of either sex shouldnt be a problem...:smilewinkgrin:

3. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

boy & girl cats get along fine, not sure where you heard that!

Just make sure that she is spayed at 6 months & so is he or they will both spray and call and have babies!! :eek:hmy:

Boys & boys get along & girls & boys, not so much girls & girls, that ive noticed, more tolarate then anything else :)

4. Scratcher26

thank you - I thought it would be ok but just wanted to check as this is our first kitty. Would you recommend seperate litter trays or will they be ok using the same one? i feel so clueless at the moment so want to be prepared when we bring him home! :idea:

5. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

It is totally upto you..Mine use the same large one...and get on fine..should be no different with kittens..

6. badbudgie

badbudgie PetForums Member

I have a boy and a girl, they are mother and son though. They play and sleep together lovely, as you can see from my photo!

7. badbudgie

badbudgie PetForums Member

How do you get pictures on?

Thanks to Janice I can do it now.

#7 badbudgie, Jul 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  8. LisaLisa

LisaLisa PetForums Junior

i used to have a girl and boy kittens together. i had the boy first then got a girl when he wasabout 5 months (she was 8 weeks). He hated her for about 2 days, then they were the best of friends. I would try keeping them in different rooms for the first day or 2, with something that has the other's scent on, so they get used to each other. then introduce them gradually. it worked for me :)

9. Scratcher26

thanks Lisa. I had heard that about the scent, planning to keep him in a seperate room for a few days! :)

Bad budgie - if you go to edit photo you can add pics on there - just select create an album! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice