Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bowel habits (bit grim obviously!)

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Coffee, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Coffee

Coffee PetForums VIP

Warning - you might not want to be reading this if you are eating :p

Ever since we got Alfie (just over 3 months ago now) he has never had consistently firm poos. We might go 2 or 3 days of 'firm' then he would have a day of 'sloppy' then a day of firm etc etc.... there was one occasion when it was properly watery but 24 hours of rice & chicken soon sorted that out.

I was never 100% happy with his food (Royal Canin) but I'd bought 30kg of it before he came to us (before I knew it wasn't the best) so I've recently changed over to Wainwrights (2 weeks ago) :D and hoped that might finally do the trick, but it hasn't as much I'd hoped. It's definitely better but he's not 100% firm all the time.

What we're getting now is 3 or 4 nice firm poos a day (all fairly small which is a good thing right?) but after the 2nd one (which is generally around 10.30am) we're now getting what I've called the "after-poo" and this is generally within 5-10 minutes of that poo and it varies between sloppy and proper runny :( It only happens that once a day and it's been happening now for the last couple of weeks, since the food change (which I did do gradually and correctly).

Basically what I'm wondering is, is this normal or should I be concerned? We're at the Vets next Monday anyway for a "development check-up" so I was going to mention it then but just thought I'd ask on here in the meantime :)

He's 5 and a 1/2 months old now if that's relevant.

2. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

What flavour of wainwrights food is it?

No, its not normal. Buster has been going through this too. Vet thinks it’s a food allergy. He also has inflamed paws too. :(

3. Coffee

Coffee PetForums VIP

It's the turkey and rice flavour. Forgot to mention that he has wet in the morning (1/2 a tray) and then dry for his other 2 meals a day.

Could it be that because it's at such a regular time each day, it's something that he's eating in the morning? He's does share my toast in the morning after he's had his breakfast :eek: I know, I know! But it's only the smallest bit, he literally has just a couple of crusts.

He has no other symptoms at all, he is happy, bright and healthy in all other aspects.

4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Sometimes a slightly runnier one when the rest are firm can mean over feeding. May be try cutting back the food a bit and see if it helps.

Another suggestion would be Bionic Biotics from Pooch and Mutt. Heidi went thro a spate of tum upsets which left her tum so sensitive it was a vicious circle. BB was a godsend and got her back on track.:D

5. Coffee

Coffee PetForums VIP

Interesting, thank you. :) I can easily do that, will start from the next meal and see if it makes any difference.

6. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

Try what mumtoheidi suggested, and if after say a a full month, there is still no improvement, put him on the wainwrights salmon and potato (hypoallergenic). This is what I did with Buster and there was improvement. However, I have changed his food again to fish4dogs now :rolleyes:

7. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

You never know, got to be worth a try.:D

It was something I had read here a lot but not given much thought about. Then noticed Heidi does it. I cut back her food and she was fine. Turns out, she needs less in summer but is ok with full RDA in winter:rolleyes5: It's only a matter of 40g but does the trick.

If it doesn't work for you, at least you will be able to tick that box and move onto the next ;)

8. Coffee

Coffee PetForums VIP

Thank you both :)

That's definitely worth a try and easy to do too. If that doesn't work I'll stop giving him the toast :eek: but I think he'd be very upset about that and would probably wonder why mean mummy isn't sharing anymore :lol:

9. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Banjo used to have a last :arf: poop after a walk or run around, sometimes he still does. If either of them have been eating something at the beach they should'nt have :incazzato: :eek: I put a little arrowroot powder in there food.

10. Coffee

Coffee PetForums VIP

He is a disgusting little scavenger too (Alfie, not Banjo! ;)), I'm forever fishing all sorts of revolting things out of his mouth... I'm sure that can't be helping the situation :rolleyes: The other day it was a dead bird <heaves> I don't think he actually ate any of it though, it was pretty much intact as I was trying to shove it in a poo-bag. Niiiiiice!

11. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Holly is a dead bird bandit :arf: well anything dead realy :eek: :incazzato: :incazzato: :incazzato: although since they started haveing a chicken wing each for there supper she has'nt botherd :D she must be getting her feather fix that way :lol:

Banjo is usually pretty good at droping things when told but occasionally :incazzato: :rolleyes: Holly is a nightmare at droping anything :eek: she's great in the house but outside :sosp: she did start droping stuff when I started useing "fetch" instead everything else under the sun :lol:

12. Lil Doglets

Lil Doglets PetForums VIP

I had the same thing with Charlie when we first got her (she was 13 months at the time) she had been on arden grange when she came to us but she wasn't too keen on it and just like Alfie she kept going from firm to sloppy. Tammy was on WW at the time so i was gradually changing Charlie over but all the time it was still firm-sloppy-firm etc and then continued like that once she was completely changed over...
    But to keep a loooooooong long long story short and get to the point :eek: i ended up changing them over to raw and it was the best thing i ever did for both of them :D
    That may not be for you of course but i thought i'd share as it was the only thing that solved this problem for Charlie aswell as solving Tammy's food problems (everyday she either left meals completely or only ate a tiny bit) so you could keep it in mind if nothing else helps :)

Perhaps you could try changing to a grain free diet and see if it helps?
    Or maybe you could mix the wet into the dry rather than having just the wet on it's own?
    I'd also say try not giving the crusts for a week or two and see if that helps at all

:)

13. Mumbles

Mumbles PetForums Senior

Toodles has runny poop always on a walk, first poo is firm but rest of the walk it tends to be quite runny, don't know if yours is on walk or not. But vet suggested this was because when running around a dog likes to try to completely empty his bowels and thats why its runny.

14. Coffee

Coffee PetForums VIP

Yes, it is on his first walk of the day! The first poo (firm) is always within 5-10 minutes of getting to the doggy park that we go to, then the next one always within another 5-10 minutes after that. Like he's possibly trying to get himself all cleared out so he can get down to the important business of sniffing and playing? ;)

15. Coffee

Coffee PetForums VIP

I've been thinking about the possibility of changing to Raw for sometime now but I'm scared and a bit over-whelmed at the thought of it to be honest :eek: Silly of me I know. I need to make time to sit and read through all the stickies thoroughly, I'm sure it's not as terrifying and confusing as I think :p

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice