UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please explain the meat content of Bozita wet food, Tetrapacks state mainly 4% meat content but their web site and advertising blurb states 93% meat??

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
The 4% meat content in the Bozita tetrapacks refers to the flavour meat. For example, in the rabbit tetrapacks, there would be 4% rabbit and the rest would be chicken and pork, with the bulk being made up of chicken. The part of the chicken they use to make up the rest of the meat content is neck, heart, liver, etc, which is produced according to Swedish regulations; no meat meal, antibiotics, growth hormones, beaks and feet.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that :) A friend has just made an order for us to split/try it and she'd queried it with me. I feel pretty sure it's going to better quality, considering the raw ingredients, than most commercial 'wet' cat foods but still think the "93% meat" draws you in a little unfairly... never mind, if they eat and do well on it...

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Well, at least there are no fillers (i.e. grains in there). You get 93% of meat, just not necessarily of the flavour meat.

If you are interested in trying some other equally high meat content food, then there is also pet's kitchens (90% but a pate) and Grau (89% but a pate and contains some (1%) wholegrain rice).

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'll take a look at those. I've fed mainly a raw diet for years but recently had trouble with supply; time (lack of) since returning to work is a factor so I was looking for a better quality commercial food as a back up.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I bought some Bozita food for my basenji when i was at Crufts, i think i bought Reindeer and Elk flavoured as i thought she'd like that :D

I have to say, she absolutely loved it! Wolfed every meal down and was looking for more afterwards. I would definately buy more of it if I had a local supplier.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Have you checked out Darlings? They now do raw minces for cats.

Forgot to say, there is also Ziwi Peak that you can now get in the UK from Bern Pet foods. Slightly expensive (£1.80) for a tin but you only need one a day per cat. Mine get that (as well as two german foods called petnatur and tigercat) on the odd day they are not getting raw.

Ingredients for venison:
Venison - Meat (min 40%), Liver, Tripe, Heart and Kidney (min 18%); Green-lipped and Blue Mussel (min 4%); Carrageenan; Guar Gum; Flaxseed Oil; Sodium Tripolyphosphate; Minerals; Vitamins; Taurine.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Funnily enough was just about to take a look at Darlings as I'd 'heard' it mentioned on here. I'd previously used Yeomans for many years then, as you might be aware, they went out of business and another company took it over, rebranded the meat but in my (well, quite frankly, a number of people) opinion the quality took a nose dive. Delivery was unreliable, the meat stank; not off exactly, but definitely not 'right' and on a few occasions it turned up a day late, starting to thaw :( I'd previously been spoilt by having a reliable, in terms of delivery and quality, source for years so I'm not clued up on the alternatives. Don't quite have the time or inclination to make it myself from scratch :eek:

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Yes, check out darlings. Their website is still dog-focused but just email Vicky at Darlings and she will give you more info.

They do a trial pack of their three minces for £10 including delivery.

I have used them for 2 months now. My cats love the food - apart from their current lot of chicken mince, which is too finely ground for them and me because they have changed over to a new blade in the mincer.

Their meat comes from ethical, free-range farms.

There is also Woldsway for rabbit minces.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Remember Butchers Classic for cats sold by Sainsbury, Asda, Waitrose and others.

This too is high meat content with no additives - £5.50 odd for 12 400gm tins.

It is like Bozita tetra packs in content - jelly

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Ooh I don't know Butchers Classic at all. How much meat is in there?

On the waitrose website it only says: Meat and meat derivates (4% flavour meat). It also says that it contains EEC permitted colourants. :confused:

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Gskinner123, how are your cats getting on with Bozita?

Have you checked out Darlings? They will also be doing raw whole rabbit minces soon, though not sure how the price will compare with Woldsway.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oops, there seems to be two threads going about Bozita.

Bozita a bit disastrous (my fault) as you already know :) I'm trying to empty my freezer a bit before ordering from Darlings but will do shortly. I'm just the tiniest bit apprehensive about trying a new raw food as two of my girls are pregnant and will be, fingers crossed, both feeding kittens in 2 weeks time. I probably worry too much!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.