UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay....I've just taken on a gorgeous 1 year old ginger tom.

He has been an indoor cat from a kitten as I was informed by his previous owner.

I have a rather large 2 bedroom flat, but he will only have use of the lounge, kitchen and bathroom. I'm worried now (!!) that he might get bored of being confined to just these areas? My lodger has use of one bedroom and as I'm a light sleeper I'm not allowing him to come into my room either.

Any opinions? :rolleyes::

Thanks in advance.

·
Slave to the Hairy Hikers
12,358 Posts
I am a light sleeper, too, but I sleep better when my cats have access to my bedroom, as they will come and sleep on the bed or on the floormat instead of tearing around the house in the middle of the night.....
And the sound of a purring cat is a wonderful lullaby.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I think if you can give him lots of levels in the rooms he can go in it would add some more dimensions. My two just love to go up on things and watch you and the world go by. I did wonder about getting some cat wall shelving for us, but cat trees etc would add interest.

Of course numerous Da Bird type toys and balls, but mainly your time. I have to say cats when left on their own indoors sleep most of the time.

We kept to our rule about no cats in our bedroom with our old cat and Harvey but when Reuben came that went, I am also a light sleeper inevitably 3.00 am tv is my friend! But I have to say they've been great,waking me up at 6.00-6.30 if not up.

We also worked on some basic training with the cats- paw, up, down, come, jump, and roll over- they seem to enjoy doing it?

Hope there are some ideas for you!

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
You could always get a nice harness for him and take him for a walk everyday for a bit of fresh air and exercise.
I don't know if you live on main road or not so you would have to consider the noise if you do decide to walk him.

·
Dad to Puss Puss and Shadow
4,844 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Personally I would let my cat have access to my bedroom and in most cases in my house they settle down to sleep and hardly ever move around. I would certainly get a cat tree for him and have plenty of different toys for him to play with and off course he will need lots of interaction with yourself. This I would think would keep him from getting bored.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I wasn't allowed to shut my bedroom door. I tried it at first but slept better without the scratching on the outside;) and am now used to having a furry body snuggled against me when it is cold.

I just leave the door ajar now, although the catch doesn't work and she has figured out that she can open it if she pushes in the right place :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.