Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bored kitty..

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Figaro, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Figaro

Figaro PetForums Member

Rocky's 17 weeks now and eventually will be able to go outside (not for a while, I know) but he's desperate to get out now, he sits and gazes at the back garden through the patio doors constantly and knows what the door handle does! Not booked in to be 'done' til November.

He has two scratching posts (plus the door mat which he prefers), hex bugs, feathery sticks, cat nip mice, jingly bell ball things, but he seems a bit 'meh' about them all now. I think he's getting bored, any ideas what older kittens like to play with?

2. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Frankly I think he is probably keen to get out so he can start looking for females to mate with! he is not interested in playing because he has more important things on his mind! :)

My 2 female kittens are now about 18 weeks old and are also very keen to get out! One of them has already had her first *heat* and I think the other one is starting.:(

Providing your kitten's testicles have already dropped, (which they usually have by 17 weeks) there is no reason to delay the neutering until November. I would ask the vet about having him done sooner. I am sure that once he is "done" he will settle down, be more playful again, and less interested in going out.

I am not planning to allow mine outdoors until they are about 9 mths old. I play interactively a lot with them, using a laser light, Da Bird fishing rod toys and e.g. home made games using sheets of newspaper and cardboard boxes. As there are 2 of them they do play on their own quite a lot too, chasing each other around the upstairs floor where they live at present. I think one kitten on their own is harder to keep amused as you do have to be prepared to put in a lot of time and effort, and be inventive with home made ideas. Base all games on chase, or hunt the mouse, and you can't go far wrong:)

4. Figaro

Figaro PetForums Member

Thanks for the advice, I will try making a cardboard house for him and get creative, forgot the best cat toys are things like that, he loves the curly plastic that comes off the top of a wine bottle :huh: and screwed up apple pie cases.

The reason I don't have him booked in til nov is we have a Vets Klinic and you have to book a slot in advance for a good price (£18) and it's paid for in advance too.

5. ScruffyCat

ScruffyCat PetForums Senior

Tin foil balls and screwed up till receipts keep scruff amused for hours!

6. CharlieChaplin

CharlieChaplin PetForums VIP

I wonder...... Do cats looks outside cos they are dying to get out, or is it merely because it's another area they haven't explored. Lots of people say their cats look longingly outside so they feel they have to let them free roam. But if a cat has never been outside then they aren't missing out on it.......

My cats look out my back doors - then when I let hem out into the garden they just spend most of the like lying out there instead of inside. :rolleyes:

It's probably more of an inquisitive thing rather than a I'm bored thing.

Just a thought.

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice