Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Border Terriers

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Roofs, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Roofs

Roofs PetForums Junior

We’re getting a BT in 4 weeks time and everyone I’ve spoken to has been divided, they’re either telling me they’re great first dogs or they’re giving me a look like I’m mental! I have a fairly active life as I have a horse so I’m not looking for a lap dog!

But yes I do work full time, my other half often works different shifts to me and I’m only a 10 min walk from home, so planning on going back for lunch (which I do currently anyway) so even if OH and I are working the same hours (which is quite rare!), the dog will get 40 mins at lunch time.

Of course if there are issues, I’m happy to work from home for a few hours or get in a dog walker!

Please reassure me I haven’t made a wrong decision? We also plan to have him castrated so I believe this will have a slight effect on his attitude? Not making them fat and lazy but just a bit more chilled?

2. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Is this a puppy?

From my experience (a family member owns one) as young dogs they are high energy and need a lot of attention. But as adults, if they've been trained of course, they do calm down a lot (but we're talking after 3-4 years old).

I have no idea whether they're a breed that cope well or not with full-time worker owners.

As for being castrated - its not clear cut that this will calm a dog down. Yes it removes most of their testosterone but this alone will not do all the work. Training is the main factor to be honest. Do some more research into it - its a serious operation and although commonly accepted, it's still a serious decision.

3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I think with Borders, a lot is down to genes. If you've got the right breeding you've got a dog that's tough but a sweetheart.
    The wrong breeding and god help you ;)

4. Roofs

Roofs PetForums Junior

I’ve met both of his parents. Both live in a house with young children and are fantastic with them, Dad apparently sits there watching CBBC with the toddler! Neither of them are walked on the lead and both have good recall, apparently the mum stays with the owner during walks but Dad goes off investigating but not wondering off. Both were welcoming to a stranger in the house and neither were over excited or yappy. I’d be happy to have either of the parents as pets!

5. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Well apart from it sounding like a BYB (sorry if I'm wrong) they sound as if they have the right temperament

6. bordie

bordie PetForums VIP

wonderfull dogs:)

7. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

With the right owner I believe ANY breed can be a great first dog to be honest. If you've done your research (and I don't mean just knowing someone with a BT) and a Border Terrier fits your lifestyle and what you want from a dog then there's no reason not to have one imo.

Neutering did nothing at all for either of the two dogs I had done. Well, it stopped Shadow pacing and whining when there was a bitch in season but that was it. Certainly didn't make either more chilled out. The most chilled out dog I had was intact all his life.

8. Galadriel17

Galadriel17 PetForums VIP

Any dog, no matter what the breed requires commitment and hard work but in my opinion they’re worth it! They give you everything you put in back and more :) Some people, especially those that are dog-less think I’m mad but I think anyone that doesn’t have a dog (through choice not circumstance) or doesn’t like them are mad! :D

Borders are great little dogs, I’ve not owned one but have a few friends that do; like most dogs, especially hunting terriers they have an ability to think for themselves and will try and manipulate a situation to get what they want :D they are intelligent and will learn quickly. Judging by your lifestyle which you mentioned in another thread and providing you’re consistent with your training methods and put the work in then I don’t think you’ll have any problems; and if you do then again, with a bit of work and commitment and a different approach you’ll be able to work through them.

I’m sure there are lots of people on here who will help you and give advice if you need it, not to mention the masses of other resources out there.

If mum and dad have got a good temperament then you’re off to a good start but I think most of how a dog turns out is down to how it’s brought up/training so do plenty of reading up and then decide on how you’re going to do things with your other half (it’s important you both agree and approach teaching a particular task in the same way otherwise it’ll confuse the dog).

As far as neutering is concerned, it’s a hot topic on here (and everywhere else!) and there are lots of differing opinions but the choice is yours in the end. I think this seems to be a good review of the various scientific studies that may help you make up your mind - Benefits & Risks of Neutering » Skeptvet.com – I personally would always spay a bitch (unless there was a specific medical reason not to) and almost always neuter a male, especially after they've matured and in smaller breeds like a Border (again unless there was a specific medical reason not to) but that’s just my opinion and there are plenty of others out there that would disagree.

I can't confidently reassure you that you've made the right decision and I'd be foolish to do so as I don't know all the facts like how long you've been thinking about/planning to get a dog, how aware you are of the time you'll need to put in etc. however, like I said at the start, I think owning a dog is very rewarding and I personally will never willingly be without a dog for the rest of my life :)

9. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

All dog's are hard work.

BT's are great little dog's no reason why they shouldn't be a first time dog :) All dog's have little quirks , no dog is 100% perfect :w00t:

My mum and nan have one each :)

10. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

borders are great little dog, some say not a good idea as a first dog, but if you have had dogs in the past you will have some experience, terriers can be and are at times hard work, i know i've got 3 of them, but wouldnt be without them either, borders are usually good nautured and good with people and children, not so good with small furries as they do love to chace given the hunting instinct. A border is very adaptable to lifestyles and will adapt to you working etc, i'm lucky as my OH works from home so dont have to worry when i'm doing a long shift at work. I would advise that as you are getting a puppy being out all day and only poping back for 40 mins is not ideal with one so young as they need constant toilet breaks as you need to learn him to be house trained, can you take some time off for a couple of weeks until he is settled in, or have you family or some one that can come in more often to let him out. A puppy pen will be essential while your out as they will be into everything and being loose in a room at that age is a nightmare, chewing etc.

borders as they get older love to be active and do like lots of exercise and attention, some do agility, obedience etc and some even work, but they also love nothing better than cuddling up with you on the sofa or coming up to bed when you let them,

borders also need stripping at least twice a year you can either get a proffessional groomer to do this cost approx 35- 40 pounds a time as it takes at least 2-3 hours to do it right, what ever you do do not let them clip his coat as it ruins the coat.
    you can have ago and learn todo it your self, a good dvd by Kate Irving is excellant for learning step by step guide to doing it.

borders are not generally fussy eaters and you do have to watch there diets as they get older as they will eat anything going, little hoovers sometimes mine are.

As to having him casterated, please do not get him done to early as it does not give them time to mature mentally and if done to early can cause behavioural problems, ideally around 18 months. My personal opinion is i wouldn't neuter him as it does change the texture of the coat making it soft and very difficult to strip, and also you have the added bit where he is likely to put on weight. we had our jack russel casterated at 4 years of age and it made no difference to his temperment he was still a little git with other dogs and it didnt quieten him down any or make him more chilled out. unless there is a medical reason i advise keeping him intact

any more questions please ask as i love taking about borders as you may of quessed.

is your breeder aware that you work full time etc and has she discussed things like diet/grooming etc with you

best of luck with the little one

#10 aurora, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  11. missnaomi

missnaomi PetForums VIP

I know quite a few....some lovely and some not so lovely, but all very much loved by their families.

Being active is a good start, and as long as you like the personality of terriers I am certain you'll be fine. My first dog is a terrier, and our second a GSD (neither are labelled in the books as s good first time dog, and we've been fine- so I don't think it's the breed, more how prepared you are to do what is required to raise a well balanced individual...and all dogs require effort to do this.

That said, I think terriers in general are an acquired taste, and there a huge variation in personality between the different types - but as I'm sure you've researched this, I am sure you'll be fine. And all the people I know have always ended up having more than one border - so they must be pretty addictive. :)

Naomi x

12. Martyn

Martyn PetForums Junior

Borders are great. I have a nearly 3 year old called Eddie. He was cuddled up next to me 5 minutes ago before I put him to bed.

Eddie is very vocal, and I don't mean barking. He can bark, but I mean he talks!

I walk him everyday off a lead in a country park and his recall is very good, he doesn't wonder off, and he's semi trained to recall on his whistle. I say semi as if he doesn't want to come back, he won't, but he will in his time. "Eddie time" we call it! :D

Don't get me wrong, he was and can now be a right little s**t at times. But he's a Terrier.

13. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

They're great!! I love terriers. Heidi is my first, not that she's a border (westie x JR). She came from a family environment too and has been great with my grandchildren.

Terriers are def a challenge but if you take the time out to understand your little character, you'll be fine. I soon learned that discipline was a non starter. Distraction worked everytime. Made the mistake of thinking once the puppy training was over - job done:eek: Na:hand::hand::hand: with a terrier it's always a work in progress. Great fun tho.:D:D

Friends have a border with absolutely no recall. Lovely dog but no good off lead. It's the only border I know like it. We meet loads at the local nature reserve and they're all great little characters with good recall.

I wish you well.;):D

14. Firedog

Firedog PetForums VIP

I would agree with everything aurora has said.They are great little dogs,can do with a firm hand but the love you get back,you just cant beat it.I have 3 and wouldnt be without them,they are addictive.

15. Barcode

Barcode PetForums Senior

Scrabble, our 17 week old female Border Terrier is presently curled up next to me as I type this. We have never owned a dog before, and a BT was OH's first choice of breed.

We are quite active, and she has a 40 min-ish walk on a stray in the morning, then I do the evening walk - it can be up to an hour, but walking along with me dog is one of the best things about the day - watching her run around, and find out about the world.

We've just spent the w/e with friends, and she was fine with their sheepdog, newborn boy, and toddler. She sleeps through the night.

It's hard work at times, especially when she does things like play tug of war with me pants when I'm on the loo :eek: but we love her to bits, and wouldn't change anything. All I can say is:

Research. Research. Research.

16. Barcode

Barcode PetForums Senior

p.s. have attached a few photos I've taken over the past few weeks so you can see what you may get! - beach ones were taken today.

Attached Files:

17. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

My sister has one great little dog brilliant with my 9 yr old niece :)

Attached Files:

• 808.JPG
      808.JPG
      File size:
      236.8 KB
      Views:
    • 130.JPG
      130.JPG
      File size:
      253.3 KB
      Views:
  18. mel@fish

mel@fish PetForums Senior

I recently went to stay with a friend who breeds and judges Borders. Her dogs are magic. One of my other friends has a Border alongside her labrador, another friend has a Border with young children. These dogs are just fab as they adapt so well. Yes, they can be yappy, yes, they do need entertaining when they are young but then again, my border collie was like that and still can be at 2 years old!!!! Have fun, sounds great!:D

19. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

there are quite a few round here. Unfortunately some are in unsuitable homes and are nightmares but most are lovely pets and a good friend is on her second one and just loves them. She takes hers to work with her a lot and she sits in a cage in the car and has done from a tiny puppy. If it is too hot she is left at home but sometimes that makes a long day. She is great though and does not seem to mind which she does.

20. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

Sorry, am I being thick, but where did you get BYB from that?!

Just wondering.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice