Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Border terrier puppy imminent

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Elvin, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Elvin

Elvin PetForums Newbie

Hello and happy new year

I am getting a 9 week old border terrier puppy in 3 weeks it will be my first dog.

Looking for a bit of advice to see if if I am on the right lines...

I work full-time 4 days a week - earlies 7-2 lates 2-10 and nights 9 -6.

I have booked 3 weeks off to settle him in to his new home.

now I know a lot of people will say it is not fair on a dog if youre working and can't be home 24/7 but hardly anyone would have a dog if that was the case I suppose.

So my plan is as Follows...
    I intend to crate train and will have a 6 foot play pen also.

Earlies - 5am take dog out for the toilet play till 5.45 then breakfast back out for toilet then out to work 6.15 with dog crated. My sister will then be collecting dog at 9am till 1pm with dinner around 12pm. Back in crate 1 till 3 when I get home. Then out and about training etc tea at 6/7 and bed at 10/11

Lates - 7am wake up toilet breakfast play etc till 9am. Crate/ or play pen till 11 lunch walk etc till 1pm crate 1 -3 till my sister collects and will be looking after till 8pm when she will crate him till I get home at 10pm

Nights - similar routine as above and will be staying at my sisters at night.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I am a novice and want as much help as possible. Done loads of reading and youtube.

Should the crate be locked for naps or access to pen be granted?

Food times sound ok whilst still puppy on 3 meals a day?

Should I sleep in front room for first night or not?

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome congratulations on your new addition.

A lot of us work full time and have dogs it’s doable but hard work.

You have put a good plan in place but might be pushing it initially with the time pup is left (only initially once pup is a bit older it’s easier) can he go to sisters rather than being crated?

I have two dogs 2 and 6 and can leave them for several hours but as pups they need to go to the toilet regularly or toilet training is tricky.

Yes to sleeping with puppy at first they will be scared and all is new. A secure puppy is a happy puppy. Get to know each other and then start building up time left slowly. Don’t leave pup to cry this will only make them more anxious.

Food - Mine where fed 4 times a day I would follow on from what the breeder does.

I can’t help with crate training my pups have always been free range in a puppy proof room hopefully someone else can help.

3. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

I only have experience with my current pup who we have had 2 weeks now and is 10 weeks old.
    We planned to crate train but he hated it and I didnt have the heart to persevere with something he hated so that went out the window. Also he definitely wouldn't cope being left for 3 hours at a time at the moment.... his attention span is so small he just cant entertain himself.
    But like I said, thats just my experience with my pup and perhaps if yours takes to his crate it will be easier!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice