Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Border schnollie

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Lizzy Anne, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Lizzy Anne

Lizzy Anne PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

We are looking for a border collie crossed with a schnauzer (a border Schnollie) as a family pet.
    Does anyone know of a breeder of these in the UK?

Thanks

Lizzy

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Why mix those two breeds?

Very unlikely that someone breeding this mix would have health tested and likely just as a cash cow tbh

Have you researched the traits of each breed thoroughly to see which, if either, would suit your circumstances?

Mixing the two could give you the worst of both breeds.

If you want a mongrel then a rescue would be cheaper and just as predictable (or unpredictable ;)).

This thread might be interesting:

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/border-collies-make-easy-pets-one-of-my-rants.512462/unread

#2 Lurcherlad, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    O2.0, Sairy, Linda Weasel and 2 others like this.
  3. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

No idea why you’d want such a strange cross; if it’s because you’ve researched both breeds and are looking for the best characteristics from both breeds, but combined in one puppy, then please think again.
    Pups can get any random share each, and are as likely to inherit all the worst traits.

Not to mention all the health issues....

Sairy and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Lizzy Anne

@Lurcherlad

Thanks for the advice, I've had both collies and schnauzers before and loved them both.
    I appreciate that mixing them doesn't give you any garuntee of the 'best of both dogs'. But you can never garuntee with a dog anyway, I very much feel that a dog is a reflection of how it has been looked after. We've looked at rescues, but homes are reluctant to give dogs to families with children (for obvious reasons) so we had decided to look elsewhere.

5. Northpup

Northpup PetForums Senior

There won’t be anyone breeding collies x schnauzers who health tests them - therefore you already open the risk of an unhealthy dog simply by choosing the cross.
    Dogs can be products of their environments but posters mean that the traits of each breed (the negative traits) could combine to give you a dog that acts nothing like either the previous colllies or schnauzers you’ve had and therefore isn’t suitable for your lifestyle or what you wanted in the first place. Nothing to do with how you raise the dog but with the dogs instinct nature due to the mix of breed traits.
    You’d be much better looking at either choosing one or the other and going on champdogs etc to find a reputable breeder or you could look at different breeds that might suit :)

Sairy, Lurcherlad and Blitz like this.
  6. Lizzy Anne

@Northpup thank you for the advice (and for not being rude about it!) Perhaps I will stick with one or the other then.
    :)

Northpup and Burrowzig like this.
  7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Good advice. One would hope that such a cross would be an accident so hopefully there are no 'breeders'. Any particular reason why it needs such a stupid name. I would think the best way to find one would be to scour all the advertising sites every day in case someone has an accidental litter of that cross. Unlikely though as they would not match very well or be a popular cross for puppy farmers.

Northpup and Lurcherlad like this.
  8. Northpup

Northpup PetForums Senior

No problem! :) glad it helped. If you wanted to look into breeds other than those two that might fit what you are looking for you could create a thread in dog chat with what you want from a dog and your requirements and get recommendations for different breeds you could look at

Blitz likes this.
  9. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

Look at Working Beardies, they are how I imagine a Collie/Schnauzer would look

Some have the energy of a Collie and the yappiness of a Mini Schnauzer

Blitz likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice