Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Border Collie Puppy!! help!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Roscoe2110, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Roscoe2110

Roscoe2110 PetForums Newbie

Hello! I just recently got a border collie puppy from a dairy farm. he is amazing but he has a problem with chewing. The past few times that i tell him no he looks away and puts his head down and growls. Me being a softy i feel bad and i pick him up. What should i be doing?? and is it normal that he growls like that?

2. jenbenn

jenbenn PetForums Junior

Is he chewing the furniture or household items? Have you given him chew toys or a stuffed kong toy? The puppy has to chew something to develop his teeth. Encourage him to chew the toys rather. Nylon bones are great.

3. PennyGC

PennyGC PetForums VIP

has he learnt what 'no' means? is he growling because he feels threatened? does he feel you're going to take away something which is his? gently take stuff away whilst you give him better stuff to chew.... what experience do you have with collies? with dogs? a working bred dog may not be a good choice for a first dog (if it's your first).

I suggest you buy Gwen Bailey's book 'The Perfect Puppy', it's really useful.

4. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

I think it depends what he is chewing can you not roll some of his food past him to distract his attention? maybe get one of those balls with the holes in and put some dry food pellets in it and let him play. Collies learn very fast so try not to teach him anything you don't want him to do. Do stop yourself from picking him up as when he gets bigger you won't be able to.

5. hutch6

hutch6 PetForums VIP

Pick up a bone or toy, walk towards him, say "No" and give him the bone or toy instead. As soon as he starts chewing that praise him and fuss him.

6. annapaws

annapaws PetForums Newbie

Hiya Roscoe2110 and puppy
    I do hope you're generally having fun.
    The thing is that puppies do chew.
    It's important that he gets things that he is allowed to chew and that are appropriate for him. At the moment, he certainly won't know "NO". He's just doing what comes naturally - it's not wrong to him. Plus, he actually probably doesn't understand any words right now.
    It's really important to organise and tidy up your house / or the area he's in at least so that he can't get hold of things that shouldn't be chewed. That way you won't find yourself in the position of needing to tell him off.
    Try to always distract him away from something if he does go to chew it, with something more fun.
    And using bitter tasting sprays like Bitter Apple can stop him chewing furniture etc.
    There's more hint tips and ideas on how to stop puppys chewing things here here

Please do try to stop saying no or telling him off. It can be very frustrating for him - and you - and end up making things worse.
    There's ideas on training classes that you can find from that link too.

Hope that helps then- please come back with more questions if you like....
    cheers
    anna

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice