Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

border collie owners i need your help/advice

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by webmonkeyuk, Jun 7, 2010.

1. webmonkeyuk

webmonkeyuk PetForums Junior

following on from this

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/105971-help-food.html

id like to know what you feed your dogs on as im having trouble with jess not eating her food. shes been on james welbeloved as recommended by a animal nutritionist and ive recently tried her on purina beta but people say both are not very good. id tried her with a bit of canned dog meat when i first got her but she wasnt keen.

any help would be great

2. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

i've just taken mine off JWB as it made him hyper and a bit loose he's just going on to csj (google it) and he's doing grand

3. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

4. Oenoke

Oenoke PetForums VIP

Mine are all fed raw.

5. webmonkeyuk

webmonkeyuk PetForums Junior

cheers guys, forgot to say that id like to try and keep her on lamb and rice as i dont fancy another week of runny poo's while changing her food again :lol:

6. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

I use Argen Grange lamb and rice or Skinners duck and rice. I have just started feeding natures menu frozen in the morning which is complete.I have found that i have to cut down there food as the meat has really put the weight on and they love it and as long as i remeber to take it out of the freezer so easy to feed.My old collie is 171/2 and had started to poo without knowing then changed the food and no more pooing so thats another benefit

7. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

I feed my BC on raw and since changing I would never go back. She eats everything with interest, she has not once been fussy with her food since putting her on a raw diet, she is in great health, it has helped her skin allergies and her upset tum that she had before switching her 5 1/2 months ago, she was almost immediately noticeably calmer and less hyper in nature...the list goes on.

My new BC pup next year will hopefully be weaned straight onto a raw diet, as I am specifcially looking at breeders that feed raw - and then when I get pup I will be continuing this.

Its not for everyone, but something you might want to look into? If you did want to have a read about it, the bottom two links in my siganture are very useful. I have become a complete convert and have switched my cats too :)

8. xliljanex

xliljanex PetForums Member

hi my dog has the beta purina and have to say have no complaints with it at all...... she was on a different food at 1st but had loads of tummy trouble, started to think she had something seriously wrong with her stomach but once the food changed absolutely no problems :) guess it just depends on the dog

9. JJAK

JJAK PetForums VIP

heya, weve recently changed our border collie 'jess' onto skinners field and trial duck and rice.

She eats half as much as she used to and now doesn't beg for food, her stomach has settled, Her energy levels have not increased yet her concentration has pretty much doubled, her coat is super glossy and much softer to the touch....the best bit is...shes only been on t just over a week and the difference is incredible!
    hope you find a food she likes :)

forgot to say - we were expecting runny poo's when changing her feed, but weve had none of it :) has settled her stomach right down and what comes out the other end is now tolerable!!

#9 JJAK, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  10. slbrown2108

slbrown2108 PetForums Senior

well maisie is on bakers complete and she loves it and its done her the world of good since she came to me in a very poor condition she is now like a shiny new penny.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice