Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Border Collie Mischief

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Charlie Kirkham, Oct 15, 2020 at 10:29 AM.

1. Charlie Kirkham

Charlie Kirkham PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I have a little 9.5 week old border collie pup from a small holding in Wales called Piper.

We have booked her in for a 1-2-1 with a trainer at the end of this month, followed by a 7 week puppy course with the same trainer (if all goes well in the 1-2-1) across November and December.

I was really after some advice in the meantime about ideas to keep her stimulated during the day to ensure I'm providing the best environment possible for her and that she's gettting the right balance of excercise/rest.

I have a call with my trainer this evening to discuss her biting as that has escalated over the last few days, to the point where she growls and latches, sometimes drawing blood - I'm covered in scratches and it can sometimes be quite upsetting when you feel they are 'going' for you.

We have two border collie females in the family (9 and 3) who I absolutely adore, hence the decision to get another one. They never went through this phase though so it really concerned me at first - I read a great thread on here the other day that really calmed my worries about this behaviour and have implemented some of the suggestions to try and get her to stop.

When I initially spoke to my trainer she said that it may be that Piper was tired and to ensure that she was getting enough crate time in the day. She's super happy in her crate so I'm not too worried about doing that, but definitely want to ensure she's then getting enough stimulation outside of that.

She's the smartest little pup and picks up things SO quickly - any ideas on how you might schedule her day in terms of outside time, short training sessions, rest etc. would be gratefully received! She's great with other pups so have had her meet a couple of my friends vaccinated dogs, but can't get out and about properly for another few weeks.Should I perhaps be taking her out and carrying her? Not sure how long she'll be carried for!

Thanks,

Charlie

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

If you can invite people of all different types into your home to meet her then that will go a really long way to making her a well-adjusted dog. If they leave outdoor shoes at the door then there’s almost no risk of infection. It’s really important at this age as this ‘learning window’ is closing by about 12 weeks.

Charlie Kirkham likes this.
  3. Charlie Kirkham

Thanks Linda, that's really helpful! I will most definitely do that - We've had my dad come over and also brother in law with his two kids. She was really good with the children and only a little light herding(!). The little girl had wellies on so wasn't too bothered....!
    We've got a few people coming round this weekend, including another young dog, so will see how she gets on with that. She's got a second play date tomorrow with a puppy that's a couple of months older than her, so hoping that will expend a bit of energy and give her a bit of an oulet for rough play, as we think that's what she's trying to do when biting us?

Linda Weasel likes this.
  4. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

I have an 11 week old puppy and he's a biter! They do grow out of it and some are just worse than others my now 5 year old terrier was terrible, much worse than our pup is but some are just worse than others. When Billy bites us we redirect him to a toy to attack instead! Or if that doesn't work leave the room for a few seconds or get up away from him, he can't get up on our sofa yet so I just tuck my feet up and sit there until he gets bored, then I'll reward him with some toy time. It works.. To a degree but I think it's a just a phase we have to muddle through unfortunately!

5. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

It's only been *two days* since you posted on the thread with the helpful suggestions on
    https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/puppy-biting-and-snapping.532152/page-2#post-1065679599
    [edited to fix so the link goes to the correct post on the thread]

I'm super glad you've located a professional to help you going forwards, but do remember that you need to give it some time for your dog to learn the new game rules, and not to expect immediate miracles.

Also, behaviours will get worse before they get better. This isn't a sign that your method isn't working, rather a clear sign that it is! What's happening is called "extinction burst" and it's basically the dog trying extra hard to do the behaviour that previously had a positive outcome for them. They're going "argh this used to result in x and now nothing's happening I WILL DO IT EXTRA so the expected outcome can't not happen!". They will eventually learn that this behaviour doesn't result in the previous attention, but learning and creating new brain pathways takes time and repetition.

p.s. don't forget we also need to pay attention to human covid infection risks as well as dog vaccination ones! I don't think 'covid puppy' difficulties are quite over yet.

#5 Torin., Oct 15, 2020 at 12:49 PM
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020 at 6:48 PM
  6. Charlie Kirkham

Ah yes, I too have sometimes been retreating to my sofa! She's not far off being able to get up, so hoping by that point she's at least at the point of gently mouthing instead of the hard latch!

She's actually been much better today, so hoping that the tactics I've been using over the past few days are starting to pay off!

Totally agree it just seems to be a phase and the sheer volume of puppy biting posts on this Forum along with the advice have made me feel so much more confident that with a bit of patience she will come out the other side! All a new experience for me so leaning as I go :)

LotsaDots likes this.
  7. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

8. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

This is Shimmer at 12 weeks old doing a puppy sit on her platform.
    P1000927 (2).JPG
    I taught her totally by free shaping and she actually sat on it in the first session. I plonked the platform on the floor and when she sniffed it I clicked and gave her a treat and built it up from there. They are like sponges at that age and thoroughly enjoy very short play training sessions. Have a look online as there are loads of little exercises you can do with your pup.

9. Charlie Kirkham

@Torin, for some reason it's not letting me reply directly to your post!

You're so right, she seemed to be understanding yesterday morning that biting equals being ignored, but then yesterday afternoon had a massive 'tantrum' leaving me bruised!

Fast forward to today and she's been pretty much perfect all day, with just a few 'hiccups'. I think the message is starting to sink in and I'm very aware that I can't be impatient with this.

The other thread you quoted was not my thread.

I commented to say that I was experiencing the same and had found all the advice helpful. The advice is what I've taken on board to start trying to get her away from biting over the last couple of days - I absolutely undertand that miracles will not happen overnight.

My post today was more about trying to ensure I'm stimulating Piper enough when we're having 'play time' and ensuring I have a good structure for her with play vs. rest.

We are in Sussex and not seeing more than one household at once and limited numbers :)

Torin. likes this.
  10. Charlie Kirkham

Well isn't Shimmer gorgeous!
    Thanks so much for this idea - I will definitely have a route around for some more training ideas. I'm doing a few three mins bursts a day so as not to overload - she seems to LOVE them.
    Far more interested in playing those sorts of games than playing with any of her toys or fetch! :)

11. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Ooh sorry I do apologise - copy-paste mixup with trying to link to your comment (which I found via your profile) rather than the thread as a whole! I will go and edit my post above so it's clearer for anyone else reading :)

I love that she's already really starting to understand the change and modify her behaviour though!

12. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

My late twin sister lived in Sussex about half way between Eastbourne and Tunbridge Wells. Beautiful county. I still know a heck of a lot of collie owners down there.

13. Charlie Kirkham

No worries at all and thanks for the advice! :)

14. Charlie Kirkham

I've been here all my life and love it - I too live half way between Eastbourne and Tunbridge Wells, near a place called Heathfield. Nice to hear there's lots of other collie owers knocking about! :)

15. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

My sister lived just outside Heathfield so I know the area well. She was an instructor at Eastbourne Dog Training Club and very involved with Uckfield DTC too for many years. I've spent many happy hours in the village hall next to Heathfield Community College, the one at Cross-in-Hand, Selmeston Village Hall, Langley, etc either instructing or training. Happy days.

16. Charlie Kirkham

Such a small world! :)

Twiggy likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice