Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Border Collie Health Advice plzzzz

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by colliesrnutters, Feb 16, 2008.

1. colliesrnutters

colliesrnutters PetForums Newbie

HELP,

I am totally baffled and hope someone maybe able to help me with my border collie bitch!
    I hope you don't mind me contacting to you, however I am a bit worried about my Border collie. I saw that you breed Borders and my Bitch is ex working (because she loved her cuddles more than chasing sheep, so I rescued her) She is around 2 and a bit years old now, and we have had her around 7 months. She has had one season with us in December and we had put her out to stud as she is an amazing girl (bet most owners say that) and there is nothing I wouldn't do for her. She was mated with another Border that looks like her twin! Although we were told he was only 12 months, we didn’t believe it, and so asked our vets opinion that told us he was only 6 months (even though he is quite a big boy). The mating took place about 2 times confirmed ties last around 15 mins each.
    She hasn't put on any weight on however she is still swollen like she is still in season! She would have been due 2 weeks ago but we had our vet look at her and she had an ultra sound, which showed nothing at all. Her teats are also rather large, however they have always been like that when she came. Now she is being a flirt with our other collie again, and he has been trying to mount her, Proper persistent with it, and he cries when she isn't in the room the whole issue that she would have had should she be ready after another season, however its still very early since the last one being in December. Would it have been possible for her to have another season now? Or even still be in season? As I can’t work it out at all. If you could shed any light on this I would be very grateful.
    Thanks Peeps

2. BlackCat

BlackCat PetForums Member

Hi

She shouldn't be coming back into season already, but it could be the start of a false pregnancy. It would be worth taking her back to your vet for a check as if it is a FP, treatment can be started as its quite distressing for them.

Good Luck!

3. Tweedle Dee

Tweedle Dee PetForums Member

It does sound a bit strange, maybe it is a phantom pregnancy? As for her teats being enlarged when you got her she has maybe been bred from already, do you know much of her history?. I know my lab bitch kelly's teats have never shrunk back and are very visable and her pup's were born last june!.

Just out of interest what are your reasons for breeding?..i presume if the stud used is under 12 months then he has'nt had any health checks? Has your Bitch been tested? Have they got good pedigree's etc?...have you thought about the health risks to both your bitch and stud ..esp if you are using a stud that isnt proven....i dont mean to sound detrimental to your plans , just something to think about. Maybe someone on here could tell you about the specific breed health tests.

I personally would take a trip to the vets to get her checked over. I hope you manage to get her sorted out.

Ang

4. colliesrnutters

colliesrnutters PetForums Newbie

Hi
    We werent told much about her history, just she needed a home or they would be thinking of the vets trip (PTS) so on the condition of having her, we were told we had to have one litter from her, or we were in breach of contract. They found me the dog, and said he had been used before, however when we got there, we saw loads of his relatives, and parents, grand parents, and siblings. They showed me all the health checks they had completed on the parents of him and then of course on him.
    I guess i just fell prey to being totally in love with her and didnt want to leave her in such place, and they preyed on it.
    We were told to try her for a bit and then let them know, wot we thought about her, by that time we were hooked, and so agreed to the contract of them having breed rights.
    We have done everything through my vet to make sure that she was 100% healthy and that the pups would have the best start in life, with all her tests done.
    I was kinda convinced she must have had a litter before as her teats were always up, when we brought her home. I wouldnt say i was a novice at dog keeping, or their health risks etc, but this has truely got my stumped! My other dogs have been spayed and neutered on arrival here, as stops any problems in the pack occuring. I am a firm believer in doing the responsible dog owner thing, and wouldnt have bred my choice. I have also done the right thing by making sure all the pups had good homes to go to, should they have arrived.
    Please dont judge me on my weakness to do anything for my girl as she means the world to me, as do my others. We also foster dogs from time to time, mainly collies as the dont do well in kennels.
    Just fostered a Jack X Basset (what a mess!) but very cute.
    Thanks for everyones advice and i think i will see if i can speak to another vet about this, as if i need to spay her for health reasons then that will be my Get out of Jail free card! and she wont need to worry about any of it

Thanks again

5. BlackCat

BlackCat PetForums Member

Did you sign a contract or anything? To be honest, the people you got her from don't really sound as though they have any justification in making you breed from her, yet they would have her put to sleep? :confused:

If it is a false pregnancy, there is a strong chance that this will recur again and again. This in itself is a good medical reason to spay that her previous owners surely cannot contest!

I think in this situation anyone would have 'weakness' so I wouldn't worry.

6. terrijane

terrijane PetForums Newbie

Hi
    I would get her spayed end of story. the vet would not be allowed to tell them why because of confidentiality. you should never be made to produce more puppies there are too many as it is and border collies get such a raw deal. it sounds to me like theses people are just using you. if you saw other relatives could this be a puppy farm I wonder? hope all goes well for you do the right thing by your dog you're all she's got.

7. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

Can I just say that unless you have homes for any potential puppies, PLEASE do NOT breed from your bitch.

There are so many unwanted dogs languishing in rescue centres, and I would seriously question bringing more puppies into the world.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice