Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

border collie exhaustion question

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sbib55, Mar 29, 2011.

1. sbib55

sbib55 PetForums Newbie

hi im worried about my 1 year old female bordercollie. she gets exhausted very qucikly chasing balls. it only takes maybe 10 minutes max before shes panting very heavily and she doesnt stop for maybe half an hour afterwards. she does this no matter what the weather even on cold days. could this be a heart condition?

2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Id take her to the vets if I was you. Im not too sure about it but I think there is a condition BCs can get where they overheat really quickly and it can be life threatening. (course I could be talking a load of tosh... just think I remember reading it once):eek:

3. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

That doesn't sound right in a young, high energy dog. Vet asap, is what I would say.

4. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

Go to the vets, as soon as you can. Hope it's all ok x

5. OllieBob

OllieBob PetForums Senior

A few things come to mind. Most dogs will not have shed their winter coats yet sio will overheat quicker. Working collies don't sprint for very long. They do on the outrun and then slow down unless any sheep make a break for it. They may be out for the best part of the day but they are mostly trotting along which is the most economical pace to do, conserves energy without causing overheating. This is why with Bobby I do distance (5-15miles), with about 60-70% off lead time(trotting through fields), five minute ball game then the rest walking. I also make sure he has water when needed.
    Panting is also a sign of excitement.

6. Starlight Express

Starlight Express PetForums Member

Border collies are an ahtletic highly active breed, I have two and have owned border collies for nearly 20 years. I would ask advice from your vet. My young girl Clover is 10 months and she starts panting before she is even out the door for her walk. Complete excitment of getting out to play with her ball. Still I would get the vet to check her over. Rather be safe than sorry. I hope everything goes well and you both can get back to playing soon.:001_smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice