Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Border Collie-Barking

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by debsblair, Jul 3, 2009.

1. debsblair

debsblair PetForums Newbie

I wonder if anyone can help. It's a long story lol! About 3 years ago we adopted a border collie from someone. He was half starved & riddled with everything going. He was scared of his own shadow. We nurtured him back to a healthy dog with tender loving care & alot of patience. He is still very funny with his eating & still abit jumpy. The problem is his barking. If anyone comes within 5 doors away, he barks & runs into the corner of the room. But he continuously barks & barks even when we have told him to be quiet. He just doesn't listen to us at all. When he does eventually quietens down he still grumbles & argues under his breath. He is a great dog apart from this.

Attached Files:

2. rona

rona Guest

Hello and welcome to the forum. Your dog looks lovely.
    Can't offer any help I'm afraid, in fact I may disappoint you by saying that we once had a rescue Collie and never could stop her barking in all her 15 years ;)

3. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Hi. I have a similar problem with Lilly, my collie x. She is a bit of a barker, it is at it's worst in the garden. In the house she does bark, but when I tell her no she does listen. I managed to get her to do this by giving her something else to do. i.e I would say no and then call her to me and direct her to her bed or get her to sit.

With dogs, if you want a behaviour to stop then they have to do something else instead.

x

4. rona

rona Guest

That's if they can hear you above the barking :lol::lol:

5. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Very true, however, I do have a very big mouth! lol x

6. Purplejellyfish

Purplejellyfish PetForums Member

I am by no means and expert but you could try completely ignoring him when he is barking. I mean, no eye contact, no reprimands just pretend as if he isn't there. If he pauses for a moment, then praise him lots. When you see some progress, hold off the praise for slightly longer. This may take weeks to see results. This works for puppies but I'm not sure about older dogs.

Wish you luck, he looks a lovely dog :)

7. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I have tried this so many times with Lilly and it just does not work. Collies have very sensitive hearing.

However, the OP should try this suggestion :)

8. rona

rona Guest

Do you want me to respond to this :laugh::laugh::laugh:

9. debsblair

Thanks for your suggestions guys, looks like i'm gonna have to invest in a good pair of ear muffs!!!

10. rona

rona Guest

Ear plugs are cheaper :001_tt2:

11. debsblair

They prob would. It just gets so frustrating when he doesn't listen to us. Even when he's stopped barking he still likes to have the last word :idea:

12. dallylover

dallylover PetForums Junior

hi, i have been having the same problem with my cocker spaniel she is always barking really badly and the same as you worse in the garden and when i am letting her out, i stumbled across some advice saying shake a can of pennys when they bark so i thought would a tin lid work the same like quality street tin etc well i found a tea caddy lid which is a better size for carrying about - all i did was bang the lid with a metal spoon and hey presto it worked, had to bang everytime for the first few days and actually not even that loudly, but she started to look at me before she would bark and then not bark. now all i have to do is show her the tin if she starts to bark and she stops! its been amazing my OH cant beleive it - so i have the lid and a spoon and a tin with coppers in about the place just incase- its worth mentioning that i would let her do a couple of barks but if she carried on thats when i would bang the lidi i only started doing this 2 weeks ago i am so pleased because she would just go on and on barking -needless to say my neighbours were very pleased also :D just thought i would share this incase it helps good luck:)

#12 dallylover, Jul 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  13. debsblair

Thanks for that advice with the tin. Ill try it and let you know hoe it goes, take care & thanks again

14. tessiesmum

tessiesmum PetForums Newbie

HI, My border does the same, she barks when anyone walks past, worse if it is a dog, will then run inside and goes to the front window to bark still. I'm pretty certain she is guarding, bless her. Have tried making loud noises, even squirting water, but I didnt like doing that, so that failed!

Although her tail is wagging when she does it. The postman has spent lots of time talking and fussing her but she still barks at him, when he comes the next time.. I have taken to saying nothing and standing between her and the gate and this seems to help, but she does bark again when someone else is about.

15. debsblair

Hi Tessiesmum, nice to know im not the only one with a dog that thinks they own the place lol. Take care x:p

16. sonia0845

sonia0845 PetForums Newbie

Hi Debs,

Interested to hear how you get on with the tin. I have a boarder collie just 6 mths old. He barks and yaps when we stop playing and also when I am cooking, I think its an attention thing but would love to try and stop him. At the moment I am trying to ignore the barking in the hope that no response will stop him, but he just seems to go on and on.

17. debsblair

Hi Sonia, ill let you know how I get on. I will do it, just my dog goes for anything we have so he'll prob go for the tin but i'll try it. Take care, Debs x

18. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Good on you for taking on a dog with troubles!!
    It sounds to me like he's still a nervous boy- the running to the corner and barking/growling could be a sign of fear towards a 'perceived threat' outside

Is he used to a crate? If yes, try putting the crate in the corner of the room that he runs to. Leave the door open but cover the crate on the top and other sides, having a safe area to run to may just make him feel more secure when someone approaches the house. He is already choosing that corner of the room so locating the crate there is best initially, then move it further away over a period of time.

If he isn't used to a crate, could you find a way of making his chosen corner feel more like a den/safe haven by using furniture or even a large cardboard box.

Another trick (although this one will annoy the humans in your house!) is to leave a radio playing near the front door to muffle the sounds that are alarming him.

Or arrange set-ups with friends where they come near the house at set times and you can be prepared and playing happy games with him to form a positive association with outside distractions.

Try combining all of these but give it a few weeks to have any signifiant impact :)

19. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

i use a tin. a empty coke tin or whatever, and fill it with pennies or small stones, close it up. and catch your dog barking and shake it. it should give them a fright. and if you continue to use it efficiently it will stop, worked a treat with my border collie. can also be used for other things, like when he jumps up on the sofa ect. my dog just needs to hear me pick it up, and he knows straight away hes doing something wrong.

hope this helps.

20. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

Hi there, another idea that my friend has had great and immediate success with is the following, which her dog behaviourist taught her:

when your dog barks actually say 'good boy'/'good girl' (whatever your usual form of praise would be) straight away

this often stops the dog to start with anyway, as it would be completely different to what the dog has been used to, so kind of throw them a bit and they would stop

if this does not stop the barking/they stop and then start again, you then calmly go and pretend to look (at whatever the perceived threat etc is) and then say 'ok' or something similar, which should then stop it completely

in this way you are rewarding the dog for alerting you but teaching it that one bark is enough, and by staying calm instead of telling them off/shouting etc, you are encouraging them to think that nothing is wrong/to stay calm too...

I havent tried it myself, but as i said, my friend tried this and it worked immediately - she has been doing it for 2 weeks now and it is still working...so maybe worth a try?

good luck, would be interested to know how you get on...I have a 14 week old border collie who isnt very barky at the moment, but I may need it in the future!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice