Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Border collie advice please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Seb Crane, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Seb Crane

Seb Crane PetForums Newbie

Hi all.
    Looking for some advice.
    I recently started owning and a border collie who is now 4 months old and managing with my partner by taking half days at work.
    With that luxury coming to an end I am looking into the dog walking option, but am unsure if this is even enough? How long would I need a dog walker for? If I am working full time and even with a dog walker will my border collie still get bored and potentially ruin my house? Does training help stop a border collie ruin my house?
    Any help/recommendations would be great.
    Thanks

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I don't own collies and understand they like to work or they will make there own ! I think if you and your walker aim to include mental stimulation into walks lots of brain games you might be ok. How long will you be out ? Can you set up a camera?

3. Seb Crane

It would be 5 hours in the morning and 5 hours in the afternoon. And yes I could get a camera installed but I don’t live close enough to my home to get home quickly - 45 mins on average.

4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Hmm - if you work long hours that does rather beg the question on why you decided to get a puppy, particularly a very active breed like a collie. Have you thought about day care whilst you're at work? You are going to have trouble house training your puppy and yes in all probability the puppy will start chewing and destroying things in your home out of frustration and boredom. Of course it depends a bit on the puppy's temperament and whether we are talking a show type collie or a farm bred working sheepdog. My last pup, who is now 2 yrs old, was horrendous for chewing and I'm retired and therefore pretty much around 24/7. I also have 3 other collies for her to play with, acres of land, and she is walked and trained every day. Sorry but just giving you an honest answer and I've had collies for over 40 years, plus trained, handled and judged 1000s of them.

5. Seb Crane

Thanks for your honest advice.
    I have considered day care as well. I’m guessing you would strongly recommend this?
    So to sum up, you don’t think even with professional training, if I am leaving my puppy for the morning and afternoon it can be fully house trained?

6. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

From what I read in your post, your priority comes across as being that the dog doesn’t ‘ruin’ your house.

I would prefer to be wrong in this as your priority should be a happpy, fulfilled dog despite the fact that you’re not there all the time.

PS... this post crossed with others.

There’s no training that will overcome this problem for you. Daycare would be a solution but choose carefully.

Sarah H likes this.
  7. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Yes I would strongly recommend day care or at least a dog walker who could come in morning and afternoon to exercise/ play with your puppy.

I'm not saying that eventually your puppy won't be house-trained but it's going to take a long time and will be very difficult. The reason being puppies cannot hold their bladder for very long and the more they get used to peeing/pooing in the house the harder it is to train them. Initially I take my puppies into the garden about every 20-25 minutes whilst they are awake plus as soon as they wake up and after every meal, even then with some of them it's taken a while. That would be impossible to do if you are gone for several hours wouldn't it?

Bugsys grandma likes this.
  8. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

You can get cameras where you talk to them but I agree this is probably to long. my pup is 5 months and can hold on for a max 3 hrs whilst I'm out. Another thing to consider is a four month pup can't really do big walks.

Day care would be a good option if you can find a good one but are expensive. Could he continue going to work ? Any chance of wking from home ?

Bugsys grandma likes this.
  9. Seb Crane

Just to make it more clear, the main concern is not only the house, of course it is in question but it’s not only that, I’ve might not been as clear as I liked to as there’s a lot in my head at the moment. He’s very good on doing his necessities on the right place, so far we haven’t had a major problem (just a few scratches on the sofa which I’m fine with as can be cleaned and one plant and cushions that he destroyed and made a mess but that we also don’t care), we are looking for advise as we are really willing to keep him and love him but me and my partner are worried that it might not be the best for him. We are a little worried we might have rushed into this as initially we thought we’d have more time and also people around frequently and that we would have an extra help taking him around to my partner’s family house which has a much bigger garden, unfortunately we did not look into her contract, in which the landlord does not allow animals, even though he allowed two cockatiels.

10. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

When I got my first boy Sox family said they would help then they couldn't and it was a bit of a nightmare. Are you both out the same time or do shifts vary ? 10 hours is a long time you could make it work by paying for day care or find a dog walker who will come in several times but it all adds up.

I get up several hours before I go out so I get to exercise them and spend some time with them (tired so I am )

Is there a reason he can't go to work anymore? Are you still in contact with the breeder ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice