Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

border collie 10wk old very runny poo

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by steverav1, Jul 29, 2009.

1. steverav1

steverav1 PetForums Newbie

hi everyone i picked my new pup up on saturday 10 wk old collie
    she has been wormed every 2 week and frontlined too had her first jab nearly 2 weeks since
    anyway when i picked her up the bloke was very helpfull gave me 2 weeks worth of beta puppy and a couple of tins of pedegree chum puppy
    he said to mix them is this ok?
    since getting her home she has been very loose and by me does it smell is this normal?
    she is drinking well and soon as i put her food down it is gone
    was thinking about taking her off beta and putting her on pedegree dry and tinned mixed what do you guys think?
    she is at the vets saturday for second jab microchipping and a full checkup
    any advice would be very greatful
    cherrs steve

#1 steverav1, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  2. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

All the food you have mentioned in there imo are not a good brand of food..I would stay well clear of putting her on pedigree dry also!

Its normal for a puppy to have the runs it can be from stress, the change or water, being feed to much the list could go on!
    Maybe skip a meal then give small portions of chicken and rice to help settle the stomach!

I would speak to you vet about it and see what they say when you go down there on saturday just to be sure!

If you are really worried about your pup take her down for a qucik check up

3. steverav1

steverav1 PetForums Newbie

what do you sudjest putting her on not wanting to spend a fortune i thaught about the change of water thing as i got her 60miles away from my house which i think could have also stressed her a bit.
    the thing was she is still active ect and drinkikg as i said
    steve

4. lexie13579

lexie13579 PetForums Junior

I have 2 golden labradors, and they are both on Beta food, one is on beta puppy the other one is on adult beta. Both dogs are growing well and have not had any loose poo on it. I dont see why is not a good dog food, maybe you could tell me why?

5. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Lots of collies have sensitive tums so you do have to be careful what you feed. Also watch the protein as if it's to high it can make collies hyper. maybe check out the Burns dog food.

6. Lergy

Lergy PetForums Newbie

I was amazed at the comment about beta dog food. This is certainely not one of the cheap options. I have raised two show border collies and have managed to qualify both for crufts on Beta. Their coat and body condition is excellent. Your puppy def needs a day on chicken and rice as suggested already. Make sure it is drinking well and I would personally not be feeding wet food with the beta it will get all it needs from the dry. Change of water, stress from moving home etc will all contribute to an upset tummy but in a young dog I would not allow to go moree than 36 hours without consulting vet.

7. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I have 2 cocker pups that had the runs for 2 weeks and the vets didnt seem bothered

After taking the to a different vet was advised to feed chick and rice ad they gave me some Pro-Kolin to help settle their bellies and so far its improving

I wouldnt leave the pup too long

8. reddogs

reddogs PetForums Senior

The Beta Puppy is what I used rather than Burns when my pups got the runs, in fact it was much better for them at that time and certainly is not a cheap option.

I'd ditch the pedigree meat, if you want to use any meat then Naturediet and for a puppy I'd use 1/8 of a pack in one meal a day with the kibble - as it is a siilar size to my pup then about 175-200gms is enough per day over 3-4 meals

9. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Agree with everything said here.
    You should think about taking your pup of Beta and Pedigree they are both very low quality foods.
    Beta has as it's first ingredient cereals, that will be the cheapest one on the market at the time so that ingredient will be changing all the time. Next meat and animal derivatives, derivatives is all the crap left over from the animal carcass once the meat's been stripped for the human market, it's beaks, claws, fur, anything that's left gets chucked into pet food. At the end of the ingredients is e.c. permitted additives, that will more than likely be b.h.a. and b.h.t. which some experts believe cause cancer. Pedigree is made of the same rubbish.
    Burns while not the best of foods is a very good one and won't do your pup any harm ( unless he's allergic to any of the ingredients ), when your changing over it has to be done over at least a 10 day period, more of the food your feeding at first then gradually decrease it and increase the amount of the new food. Don't be taken in by your vet if they try and get you to feed your pup Hills, unless there is a very good reason to do so, most vets get a kick back from Hills.

Terri

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice