Books for beginners?

Discussion in 'Dog Agility and Flyball' started by applecrumlin, Oct 10, 2016.

1. applecrumlin

applecrumlin Oh Help Oh No it's a Gruffalo

Hi, I've been posting elsewhere on the forum for a year or so and only just found this section!
    Monkey won't be able to start agility until March or later, as the club doesn't run beginners courses over the winter. I sometimes take her into children's playgrounds after dark and just have fun getting her to interact with the equipment, but I don't want to teach her anything that I'll later need to unteach, so I was wondering if there are any good books written from a uk perspective that would explain the most useful things for her to know, to give her a good foundation. Also, to explain terminology for me! I'm someone who learns much better from a clear written explanation than from demonstrations in a muddy field in front of other people!
    Also any books about flyball? She has already had 5 sessions and is doing well, but again, I'd like to have some reference to turn to.
    Thanks in advance :)

2. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

Some clubs do run over winter, mine do anyway. This website www.agilitynet.co.uk has the clubs listed for the UK.

applecrumlin likes this.
  3. applecrumlin

Thanks for replying, I don't really want to join a "rival" club to the one where we're already doing good citizen, rally and flyball; distance would be an issue too, but it's good to have the Web address and to know where the other clubs are.
    We both had so much fun in the playground tonight - of course dogs aren't supposed to be in there, but it's worth making an exception to my usually lawful way of life :cool:

4. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

I use two clubs but only one on an adhoc basis.

applecrumlin likes this.
  5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Have a look at Greg Derret's DVD 'Agility Foundation Training'. It covers the skills the dog should have to get off to the best start when the beginners class starts. You could also have a look at the more advanced DVD's - Great Dog, Shame About the Handler and Great Dog, Great Handler.
    I also like Dawn Weaver's book, Knowledge Equals Speed, but it might be too advanced (though it covers the basics); some of the diagrams look very complicated!
    I know some people think Highly of the Q-me DVD, but I haven't seen it yet.
    There's plenty to look at here https://www.performancedog.co.uk/books-and-dvds/agility

applecrumlin likes this.
  6. applecrumlin

Thanks burrowzig, I'll check those out, they sound like exactly the type of thing I'm looking for. I usually find a cascade effect that once I've found one good book on a subject, there will be references in it to other books and authors and I spin off on tangents with an ever-increasing wish list :D

ETA, well that's my disposable income for this month well-and-truly disposed of! I prefer books to dvds so I got the Dawn Weaver, also Terriercentric training, and Penny the Pig toy.
    Thank heaven some of the titles I wanted were out of stock :rolleyes:

#6 applecrumlin, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  7. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

One of the advantages of DVDs for agility is that you can see the relative movements of the dog and handler, and how one's positioning affects the other. A book just can't show that, and that's why the diagrams in Dawn Weaver's book look so complicated.

applecrumlin likes this.
  8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I was also going to say the Greg Derret's foundation DVD. My 'big girl' is well into agility now but I intend to reuse it with my puppy. I find him very easy to understand and everything is very manageable.

applecrumlin likes this.
  9. applecrumlin

Thanks, both. I'm hoping that the books will introduce me to the terminology, and I can then check out demonstrations on YouTube. At the moment I have no idea how much I don't know....only that it's a lot! For example a recent thread here talked about front, rear and blind crosses, which meant nothing to me, but I was able to Google them. Greg Derrett has clips on YouTube too, but I'd never have heard of him without asking here.

10. JessIncaFCR

JessIncaFCR PetForums VIP

Late as usual, but thought I would just contribute!

I absolutely love training with Dave Munnings and Dan Shaw. Lots of fun, and unlike a lot of other trainers, they put far more emphasis on fun and attitude! And get great results. Dave has various online modules

http://www.qme-agility.co.uk/training.php

And he also has DVD's available on his website.

Another one is Silvia Trkman. Lots of fun, and lots of focus on speed and tricks...

http://www.lolabuland.com/

She does DVD's, and online courses too.

applecrumlin likes this.