Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bookkeeping

Discussion in 'Dog Walking' started by Jelevents, May 2, 2017.

1. Jelevents

Jelevents PetForums Member

Hi just wondered how most people record their income and expenditure, I currently give clients a receipt when I receive a payment, some pay per walk on the day in cash or for the week ahead by bacs. I also send each client a paid invoice at each month end detailing how many walks carried out.
    But I need something spreadsheet based I guess to just keep all activities in one place, I have looked at the free software available Wave, Brightbook etc but find them too involved for what I need, and doe you record individual walks or just the weekly income?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Ownedbymany

Ownedbymany PetForums Senior

I was using spreadsheets but in all honest I find wave so much quicker.

Take a photo of the receipt cuz I've just bought dog treats and it's there as an expense after I've verified the info is correct .

Invoices, I can just click clients name and service and again it's done.

That's pretty much all I use it for but it takes at least half the time.

I do still have a separate spreadsheet for my mileage records though as I haven't seen a way to do that on wave yet.

Jelevents likes this.
  3. Darrell Jones

Darrell Jones PetForums Member

I agree. I've looked at some of these software packages and find them too much for me, I just want something basic, like a spreadsheet. I'm starting my business in July

4. Jelevents

Hi I have signed up for Wave but it seems quite complicated, Is there an easy guide to follow? And do you create your clients then add the walks daily or weekly? Thanks in advance.

5. Ownedbymany

I'm not sure if I've understood you question correctly.

To invoice click sales, then invoices.
    Then add a clients details - once done it will be there for next time so you can just click on their name.

Then you add what the service is, how much it costs and how many they had.
    For example dog walking, £10, 5. It will total it up to £50 but next time you invoice for "dog walking" it will remember it cost £10 but you can then enter a different quantity.

It basically saves your services as a list which you can then select from, you can have the same title for services with different costs if needed. For example you put your prices up for new clients but keep your older ones on your old rates for a while.

Once you've done an invoice it saves as a draft. You can the approve it and press send to email it to your clients.

Once you've got payment you just click back on invoices and click on payment. It then asks you to put in the date it was paid and how.

It is really easy but tbh I was a bit overwhelmed by it to start with but I was looking at all the features I didn't need to.
    Once I did what I needed to do once I realised I was over complicating it.
    I stuck a few things in to practice and then deleted them.

Hope this helps, of it isn't clear let me know and I'll open the app tomorrow and do a more accurate step by step so I know I haven't missed anything.

Expenses are easy - take a picture of your receipt/invoice and it more or less fills the rest out for you, you just need to check and click to confirm it's accurate. Only thing I really need to add in manually is mileage expenses but if you don't claim 45p per mile you would just take a pic of your fuel reciepts etc.

#5 Ownedbymany, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Tania C and Jelevents like this.
  6. Jelevents

Wow that's really helpful thank you very much I will give it a go, I think you're correct there are a lot of options we don't need and it starts to become confusing. Thanks again for your help.

7. Ownedbymany

You are welcome. Sorry about all the typos, I must have been half asleep last night.

8. Dan76

Dan76 PetForums Newbie

Calling all wave users. Have any of you connected your business bank account to the Wave? It gives the option and I wondered if its safe?

9. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

No need for dog walkers who probably don't have seperate business accounts (why would you for this type of business, just to pay bank charges?).

Nice try at promoting Wave though.

10. Dan76

Dan76 PetForums Newbie

I'm new to this forum, my first post and I read above that a few people used Wave so I've just downloaded it. I was merely asking if people had added their account details. I'm astounded at the hostility. Especially from a petforums VIP. Is this how you welcome new members?

Darrell Jones and Jelevents like this.
  11. Jelevents

Hi Dan I've not added my account details, I just plan to use it to record income and expenditure.
    There's a lot of functions on it that I don't need, and invoices I can send from my Wix account.

Dan76 likes this.
  12. Dan76

Dan76 PetForums Newbie

Hi Jelevents. Thanks so much for kindly clarifying that. I was looking at the invoice template on Wave. Is Wix better?

Jelevents likes this.
  13. Jelevents

Tbh Dan not really looked at waves invoices as got my website through Wix and found the invoicing function easy to use.
    I might look into waves one when I get a chance but just really busy at the moment

Dan76 likes this.
  14. Dan76

Dan76 PetForums Newbie

Ok great. This forum looks fab. I'm looking forward to trawling through the threads.

15. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

Sorry, you post just looked like spam.

Simple spreadsheets work for me. You don't really need a seperate business account for dog walking unless you are a Ltd (again no advantage really).

Dan76 likes this.
  16. Darrell Jones

Darrell Jones PetForums Member

I also use a simple spreadsheet. It does the job well. I did have a look at some the software packages out there but for me they were over complex and had lots of features that I would never use.

17. Dan76

Dan76 PetForums Newbie

Apology accepted ;-)

I opened a separate bank account (regular not a business one) as I thought it would be easier to keep it away from my personal account. I'm no expert with creating spreadsheets. May I inquire as to the layout of it and what info you list on it?

Cheers,

Dan

18. Dan76

Dan76 PetForums Newbie

Seems simplicity is key. Time management being so critical.

19. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

A spreadsheet will do this simple bookkeeping job adequately.

I'm a chartered accountant, and my other half is self employed, but all he uses is a simple cash book to record the day to day, then an electronic summary of each month so he knows how things are going. Invoices, we have just created a template in word and use that. Converting to PDF if we feel the need.

For when he's out and about he had a printed invoice book with the old fashioned carbon paper. Works fine. Granted he probably doesn't have as many jobs through the day as he's a tree surgeon, but a spreadsheet should still work fine.

20. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

You need to record ins and outs. Usually split between cash and bank if you work that way, then split your expenses into categories. I find putting the totals at the top works best as you don't have to fiddle about when adding more lines in.

I'm sure if you google it there will be loads of examples out there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice