Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Book Reccomendations

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Boxerluver30, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

I have just today ordered a kindle (using a voucher from work, so I didn't even have to pay for it!) and so would love some book reccies :). Genres I generally go for are fantasy, sci-fi and horror but I do read other genres if i like the specfic book. Also how do kindles work? I got the paperwhite 10th generation as it was the cheapest one and I didn't want to go for one too expensive as not sure if i'll like it or not. I still love proper books however don't have the space here unfortunately :(.

Thanks in advance :)

2. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

I don't really read too much in your genres, I've been told I love 'depressive' books, but I've been venturing out as much as I can and found lately I have a soft spot for Romance (always avoided it before).

For sci-fi have you read Flowers for Algernon? I absolutely love this book.

simplysardonic and Boxerluver30 like this.
  3. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

No I haven't , shall put it on my list. And honestly feel free to put some books you like on here. Like i said they are the main genres i go for but always willing to branch out :).

emmaviolet likes this.
  4. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

Has anyone read much Terry Pratchett? I'm reading good omens currently and I'm enjoying it. I know this is a collaboration but I do quite like his writing style (RIP) .

simplysardonic likes this.
  5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I love my kindle even though I also enjoy real books the kindle is so light and you can read in the dark. A few good books I’ve recently read;

Ghoster Jason Arnopp (Horror)
    Women Don’t Owe you pretty Florence Given (feminism)
    Later Stephen King (horror of course but sold as crime)
    What a time to be alone Chidera Eggerue (feminism)
    The plague stones James Brodgen (horror)

6. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

Weaveworld by Clive Barker is a good read, it's dark fantasy/horror.
    Also Daughter of smoke and bone (trilogy) is a really interesting fantasy.

7. Maurey

Maurey Maine Coon Madness

Not gotten around to reading Discworld yet, but I’ve only heard good things. That said, if you’re enjoying Good Omens, highly suggest checking out Gaiman’s other works. Even his stuff for kids (like M is for Magic, or The Graveyard Book) are pretty great, and make for nice light reads, though American Gods, Neverwhere, and Ocean at the End of the Lane are personal favourites.

For general (high) fantasy I’d recommend the Kingkiller Chronicles, pretty much anything by V.E. Schwab (though some of her books are fairly dark) with Darker shade of Magic and Villains being personal faves, and the The Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix, though, imo, the first three in the series are strongest. If you’re up for a potentially very long read, Robin Hobb has the wonderful Realm of Elderlings franchise of books, which contains a number of trilogies and chronicles surrounding different characters in the same world. First series in the franchise is The Farseer Trilogy, and there’s a current 24 full books set in the world, not counting shorter stories/novellas.

If you don’t mind LGBT protagonists, I’d also strongly recommend Song of Achilles (based on and closely follows the Illiad) and the Nightrunner Chronicles (long series, very high fantasy — 7 books plus extras. Unlike Hobbit/Silmarillion/LoTR there’s no fully comprehensive wiki, so I found myself taking notes, but that’s just me).

LittleEms and Boxerluver30 like this.
  8. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr and Inheritance) (Fantasy)

The Chronicles of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (and later on Todd McCaffrey) (Sci-fi fantasy)

9. laugher

laugher PetForums Junior

May I suggest John Gardner's Grendel? - yes, the Grendel from Beowulf. Since this is "pet" forums after all, I do think Grendel could be a hit here. Not saying Grendel wasn't ever in the wrong, but this retelling of Beowulf does capture the flippant worldview that underlies our approach to animals (As if we aren't animals ourselves). It also rehabilitates Grendel's image of course. It also nominally fits your genre requirement, and I'm sure there is a kindle version available :)

Linda Weasel and Boxerluver30 like this.
  10. Yvonne_Liu

Yvonne_Liu PetForums Junior

May I ask about your feeling of using kindle.I would like to support electrical books which is more eco-friendly and easy to take. But I would like read paper books rather than reading on the phone. Sometimes, I feel tired for reading the electrical book on the phone. And I would lose my attention and motivation to continue reading. I am wondering if the kindle is better to use comparing with a phone, thanks.

11. LittleEms

LittleEms Little tinkers Bugsy & Bee, and old Mr. Charlie

I read almost exclusively fantasy and sci-fi!
    Discworld is fab and you don't have to read it chronologically. You can do one-off's, thematically, however you like! I started with all the Witches books, Hogfather and Colour of Magic. https://www.discworldemporium.com/content/6-discworld-reading-order

The best sci-fi I have read recently is the Red Rising trilogy by Pierce Brown. The first book is quite ya but it very quickly gets away from that.
    I'm currently reading the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan which is fab if you like old school going on a quest style stories, though it is veeery long! I've also recently enjoyed Raybearer by Jordan Ifuego and The Book of Koli by MR Carey.

Boxerluver30 likes this.
  12. LittleEms

Kindle is definitely better and easier for your eyes than a phone! The screen is matte (at least on mine) so there is no glare. It's called 'digital ink' and honestly even though I prefer a regular book, I do enjoy using my kindle too.

Boxerluver30 likes this.
  13. LittleEms

One caveat about Kingkiller, while it is incredible, it is incomplete and has been for years and years. No sign yet of it ever being finished if that is an issue for anyone interested.
    I second Schwab, she is amazing, as is Hobb.

Boxerluver30 likes this.
  14. Yvonne_Liu

Yvonne_Liu PetForums Junior

Thanks! Your words encourage me to buy a kindle and try to use it to read.

15. HarlequinCat

HarlequinCat PetForums VIP

Oh yes I have the one that's backlit and I can read it on its lowest light settings when I can't sleep at night, and not disturb OH! Love my kindle. Though I do still have physical books by my favourite authors.

I would recommend Poison Study by Maria V Snyder. It has an unusual but interesting storyline..

Also The Black Magician Trilogy, starting with The Novice by Trudi Canavan

Boxerluver30 likes this.
  16. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

I'll update on here when I get mine how I find using it. From what I've seen of them the screens have a lot less glare than phones do so it shouldn't be as harsh on the eyes. Thats one of the issues I have anyway with reading for long periods on my phone, but I also have light sensitivity so that doesn't help.

HarlequinCat and Yvonne_Liu like this.
  17. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Terry Pratchet's discworld books are brilliant and get better as they progress.

Iain M Banks has to be my favourite Sci-Fi author. His scope is epic and I was very sad when he died.

Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series is brilliant (particularly the first two trilogies).

Sign up to Amazon's First Reads, They offer two (I think) free books each month from newly published.

My last pick off there was Constance by Matthew Fitzsimmons who I'd never read before, but whose style I enjoyed greatly so will be getting some more of.

Also, if you plan on using books not from Amazon (you can buy discs with books from eBay etc and as long as they are in the Mobi format they will work) then download the free source software "Calibre - e-book management" It's a library for organising and getting books on and off a Kindle. It's excellent.

Boxerluver30 likes this.
  18. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

You can't go wrong with Discworld, absolutely brilliant series!

It's worth looking for cheap/free books in the Kindle store in the genres you like, I have similar tastes & getting a 'free part 1' of a book series has inspired me to then go on to buy the sequels.

Boxerluver30 likes this.
  19. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Beware of the millions of dross books that are self published though. Man, I've read stuff that my cat could write better....

:)

20. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Any books I like the look of or authors I follow I put on my Amazon wish list and keep an eye on the price. Every now and again I discover that the price has been drastically reduced for a short time which is when I jump in and buy them.

Boxerluver30 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice