Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Book club/what are you reading?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sophiebee, May 24, 2014.

1. Sophiebee

Sophiebee PetForums VIP

I LOVE reading, and as i usually get through a book in a few days (and always have one on the go!) I'm always looking for new books/authors. I usually go to second hand book shops or, since getting my kindle i get the free/cheap books on there too :) Anyway im sure there are some other bookworms here and i wondered about having a thread where we can all share books/authors we enjoy or just whatever we are currently reading?

Ive just finished Sing you home by Jodi Picoult and i thought it was amazing (I love all of her books though!)

antonio23 likes this.
  2. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

I love her books, too - I've just finished "The Storyteller".

Also good is Margaret Attwood - though a totally different type of writer. The Oryx and Crake trilogy is brilliant.

3. Nat88

Nat88 PetForums Senior

I need to try some of Jodi Picoult's books yet; I've seen them on the shelves in the library and in the The Works but I always tend to go for animal/nature real life books.

I'm currently reading A Handful of Earth by Barney Bardsley, a kind of memoir about the way she uses her allotment to help her heal after the loss of her husband. I've also read Old Dog by the same author and found it a good read; her dog was very similar to my own in many aspects, although Sybil is only three :)

4. Sophiebee

Sophiebee PetForums VIP

Lostbear the storyteller is one of hers i havent read yet, so its definitly on my list! i will have a look at margaret attwood too, as ill be looking for a new one to start now :)

Nat88 I can't reccomend her books enough, i forgot the works, i get books from there alot too (i love there 3 for a fiver offer!) My favourote animal book is a streetcat named bob, such a special cat and a really touching story.

5. princeno5

princeno5 PetForums VIP

im rereading "the fiery cross"by Diana gabaldon,my comfort book.also reading "the Egyptian series" by Wilbur smith,love his books aswell.

6. Blackcats

Blackcats PetForums VIP

I started a book months ago and usually can finish a book in a day but has been manic with college lately so haven't got round to finishing reading it.

Stephen King - Skeleton Crew (I think I have about a hundred pages to go)

Others I need to get through and haven't read yet.

Stephen King - Cujo
    Stephen King - Full dark, no stars
    Peter Haining - Cults
    Jodi Picoult (I love her raw biting emotion that pulls at the heartstrings) Have read Harvesting the heart, Nineteen minutes (Brilliant) My sister's keeper, and there was one other of her's I had but can't find. I only know it was about a woman who was being abused by her rich, famous husband and she forgot about it from a memory problem because he caused it. Any ideas? As it's no longer on my bookshelf but I definitely had it and read it. Starts with her waking up in a graveyard.

I bought another one of her's recently called 'Change of heart' and need to read it.

Have quite a few Phil Rickman books to get through. He can waffle a bit but I adore his writing style, particularly because he sets his novels where I live.

These are

The lamp of the wicked (Read this but going to read again)
    The smile of the ghost
    The cure of souls
    The secrets of pain
    The remaining of an altar
    The wine of angels (Read half of this I think and gave up at the time)

Peter James - Sweetheart

Carmen Reid
    New York valentine
    How not to shop
    Three in a bed
    Celebrity shopper

Haven't got all the collection of these (Got them from a charity shop) but she sounds a bit like Sophie Kinsella and her confession of a shopaholic series.

The Bronte's and their world

Sense and sensibility and sea monsters (I adore JA and have all her novels so am iffy in reading a piss take book)

There's a few more.

7. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

I always have books on the go too, can't beat a good read... Ones I've finished/ reading are.

Food of Ghosts by Marianne wheelaghan

Rest& be thankful Louisa J Dang

The Brides of Beckham (Mail order bride books)

The secret Keeper Kate Morton.

Rebel Heiress Fiona Mountain.
    :)

8. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Guns, germs and steel it's a fascinating look on why some civilisations evolved faster than others. And after trying to read the da vinci code I needed something that made sense

Eye of the world because I've been trying to reread the wheel of time books since the twelfth one came out and still haven't managed it :eek:

Insurgent because I liked the divergent movie and am trying to read through the series

I like the Jodie Picoult books not read storyteller yet though

9. Mrsred

Mrsred PetForums VIP

Stephen Fry's 'Liar' at present. I just go to the library and get six books every three weeks.

I'm battling on with it but not really into it. Books have to be extremely dire for me not to finish them and I want to see how this one ends. It jumps between the grown up character and his teenage self whilst at public school. Pretty meh tbh.

10. Nat88

Nat88 PetForums Senior

A streetcat named Bob is a book I've been meaning to read for a while; saw a thread on here where loads of people were saying how good it was. I saw the book in Asda a while ago but resisted temptation to buy it (I spend so much on books, lol) but the only one on sale there now is the sequel. Just off to check the library website now, see if they have it :)

11. jon bda

jon bda Guest

Just finished the first Bob book, started on the second last night!

12. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

I am reading Thomas Hardy's 'The Mayor of Casterbridge' and have the Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry on my iPad.

I studied English Literature with the Open Uni (graduation ceremony this time next week) and whilst it's given me lots of new authors, I've become a very fussy reader.

13. Britt

Britt Pooh’s slave

I finished the two books about Bob the cat, a book called "Think like a cat" and I'm gonna start "Cat for dummies" soon :thumbsup:

14. Luz

Luz PetForums VIP

Am currently reading 'The Lake House'by James Patterson. It's a sequel to 'When the Wind Blows' which I enjoyed but I am finding it hard to get through the sequel. Just finished all 13 of 'Lemony Snicket'. :thumbsup:
    The last books which REALLY excited me were 'A Song of Ice and Fire' (aka Game of Thrones). I read those last year or the year before and might read them all again.

15. jon bda

jon bda Guest

Just started the second series of the tv show and quite fancy reading the books...£20-odd in The Works iirc which seems a pretty good price...

16. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Do read them you get much more insight into what's going on than in the tv show

17. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Book worm? me?

[​IMG]

Well may be just a bit :D This is my little book room but I have more ;)

I love historical fiction particularly the tudor times. My favourites are

The Mathew Shardlake series by CJ Sansom (also his Winter in Madrid)

The John Shakespeare series by Rory Clements

Philippa Gregory - have read most of hers

Alison Weir - A Dangerous Inheritance and a few others

I like it when they pick a character you might have seen previous reference to but would like to know more about so at the moment I'm reading The May Bride by Susannah Dunn about Jane Seymour and her sister in law and have just finished The Tudor Princess by Darcey Bonnette about Henry VIII's sister Margaret and I've just ordered a book about Ann Boleyn's brother.

I also like Russian history my favourites are anything about the Tsar and his children. Also Helen Dunmore's The Seige and The Betrayal and Simon Montefiore's Sashenka which made me cry.

Also recently read Hanns & Rudolf by Thomas Harding about a Nazi hunter and a Nazi concentration camp commandant.

I do read some modern stuff too like Lynda La Plante but prefer history.

antonio23 and Lablovers like this.
  18. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Excellent thread idea. :thumbup:

Another bookworm here, too (as if you couldn't tell :p). I'm reading Tolstoy's War & Peace on my Kobo.

On hardback, I'm reading Bernard Cornwell's 1356, and on paperback (occasionally - when I forget/haven't got time to fetch either of the above) I'm reading Night Watch by Terry Pratchett.

#18 LinznMilly, May 24, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014
  19. Sophiebee

Sophiebee PetForums VIP

It was 'Picture Perfect,' i really enjoyed that one, :) 'House rules' is a really good one of hers too.

Theres lots here to check out so far too, ill be having a look at them later when i can sit down properly :)

Rottiepointerhouse i LOVE the book room :thumbsup: we are moving to a bigger place next month and the first thing i bought for there was another bookcase, as i have so many they are stored everywhere atm!

20. CavalierOwner

CavalierOwner PetForums VIP

I love reading and can easily finish 3 books per week. I now only read books with over 280 pages (unless something looks extremely good) otherwise I can finish them in one sitting. :laugh:

I've just finished Archers Voice by Mia Sheridan!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice