UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a little while ago i read something on a cat forum but not sure were

basically someone was saying that the bones you can get for dogs if you boil them in water for so long - then u can give them to cats n tthere softer n they enjoy them

this was a bengal forum i think or may off been on here

but i cnt find it or remember it or i may even dreamed it

but has anyone ever heard of that?

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Bones HAVE to be raw.... Cooking splinters them and can cause massive problems internally for the cat.

ONLY feed raw bones!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Bones HAVE to be raw.... Cooking splinters them and can cause massive problems internally for the cat.

ONLY feed raw bones!
What she said!! Mine like to play with their bones once all the meat's stripped off :D

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah thats wot i thort n heffin has chicken wings anway

but i thort someone been going on about raw hide or something -iv probably dreamt it but it was buggiing me not being able remember were i thort id read it lol

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
Alex, "raw-hide" is the soft inner layer of skin of an animal such as a cow.

Raw-hide "bones" are just pieces of raw hide rolled or twisted into a shape like a bone, so it is easier for the dog to get hold of it and carry it around. It is not actually made of bone, just a name that has been given.

What they probably said on the forum is if you take rawhide and boil it you can give it cats to chew on, as their teeth & jaws are not strong enough to chew on raw-hide otherwise. Some young cats like chewing softened raw-hide. :)

·
Registered
14,680 Posts
I believe it is possible to cook bones in a pressure cooker until they turn to a mush which still contains the minerals, and this can be fed to cats. Can't say I tried it myself

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
I believe it is possible to cook bones in a pressure cooker until they turn to a mush which still contains the minerals, and this can be fed to cats. Can't say I tried it myself
PP -- I understood that cooked bone is indigestible for cats. I am not sure what makes it become indigestible once cooked, but if it is pressure-cooked do you think it perhaps makes it more digestible? Just curious!:)

http://rawfed.com/myths/bones.html

·
Registered
14,680 Posts
PP -- I understood that cooked bone is indigestible for cats. I am not sure what makes it become indigestible once cooked, but if it is pressure-cooked do you think it perhaps makes it more digestible? Just curious!:)

Myths About Raw: Are bones safe?
I don't know chillminx. I know we are always reminded that cooked whole bones splinter when chewed and that is a real danger. I read about the pressure cooking method ages ago when I could not find a suitable meat grinder here in uk but never used it myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.