UK Pet Forums Forum banner

bone structure in a puppy

1K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  newfiesmum 
#1 · (Edited)
i know dog's grow in different stages but there is 3 of us who brought puppy's from the same litter, they new before me about them and had already purchased the last 2 male's so when i went up they only had 4 females left 1 was very chunky with a short snout(been reserved for someone) 1 with a snort snout but small and abit thin (the one i got) and the other 2 had longer snouts but also on the lean side. now what concerns me is 3 times my friends have been up and each time there pups have grown more chunky and 1 day 1 can be bigger and next the other as out grown it etc. the problem with mine is its still small but the owners shown me a pic of the smallest they sold which had near enough the best markins yet so tiny so i dont think i have a runt, but saying that id still love it no matter how it turned out and wouldnt treat it any different, but the question i want to know is if its tiny from a pup and not growing as fast as most of the litter will i more or less end up with a smaller bone mass etc? or could it end up growing at a later date and catch up with the rest?

again i dont care either way just more of a curiousity thing.

cheers guys

#3 ·
i know she wont grow as big but more the reason why i asked is because id like it to be more the dads size (wider rounder head) where the mum is also big but she is more of a thinner head and longer. i like them both but just like the dad more if you know what i mean :)

#6 ·
i know she wont grow as big but more the reason why i asked is because id like it to be more the dads size (wider rounder head) where the mum is also big but she is more of a thinner head and longer. i like them both but just like the dad more if you know what i mean :)
My girl's head is quite a bit smaller than my boy's.

#7 ·
Girls of every single breed are smaller and slighter than their male counterparts. My Kes is 45kgs and very large, but I met her brother last weekend and he is huge in comparison.

#8 · (Edited)
what breed is this? the mother and father sound different types... so goodness knows what traits the pups will have when fully grown if that's the case.

i picked a stud of the same type as my girl (finer build yorkie) and still ended up with a size throwback from goodness knows where :mad:

#9 ·
what breed is this? the mother and father sound different types... so goodness knows what traits the pups will have when fully grown if that's the case.

i picked a stud of the same type as my girl (finer build yorkie) and still ended up with a size throwback from goodness knows where :mad:
I think it is some sort of bulldog.

G
#11 · (Edited)
What breed are they?

If the dog you want is not how you hoped then mabe waiting and getting one from somewhere else would be a better option for you.

If I was paying good money for a dog, I'd expect it to grow up pretty much how I expect it should. If females generally have a smaller narrower head and the males with a wider rounder head then why not go for a male and get from another litter.

I love Male Rottweilers heads but I love rottweilers as a whole so would not base my choice on their head size. i'm happy with a slighter female rather than a chunkier male.

#13 ·
beautiful dogs you got but cant tell the difference in head sizes tbh lol,

how do you cope with the slaver as mine gets too much sometimes but i know these are even worse for it lol
At home it doesn't bother me. I carry about great wads of kitchen roll, but that is more for other people's benefit. They don't want to say hello if they are slobbering and my two do love a cuddle!

#15 ·
mother is oldtyme aylestone and dad is groundshaker bulldog.
here is a video of 2 males i found but if you look at the chunkier one thats what the dad is and the smaller male is what the female looks like maybe a tiny bit smaller but thats as close as i can show you

Dexter - Groundshaker Bulldog - YouTube
No such thing, which would be why you have such variation in the litter.

#16 ·
mother is oldtyme aylestone and dad is groundshaker bulldog.
They're both basically crossbreeds. I've just had a very quick look online and unsurprisingly there seems to be massive variations within these supposed types so it doesn't look like either are remotely breeding true.

In short, the pups could end up looking like any combination of the various bull types that have gone into the mix.

#17 ·
well im not the breeder im just someone who will take that puppy in and look after it so there the bad ones not the buyer's.

not so shure on weather there is a groundshaker bulldog but seems to be a few threads on google about it and the dads a show dog and 5 generations and state its a groundshaker. but again im not the breeder im buying the dogs because i like them.

have any of you seen this about bulldog breeding it was on itv news

ITV News Bulldog Breeding - YouTube

#18 ·
They're both basically crossbreeds. I've just had a very quick look online and unsurprisingly there seems to be massive variations within these supposed types so it doesn't look like either are remotely breeding true.

In short, the pups could end up looking like any combination of the various bull types that have gone into the mix.
Indeed. Aylestone just means the place where some guy decided to breed a ton of big dogs together and give it a name for people to overpay for. You'll also find 'Anfield Bulldogs' 'Glasgow Bulldogs' etc. etc., essentially made up crossbreeds that look big.

#19 ·
At home it doesn't bother me. I carry about great wads of kitchen roll, but that is more for other people's benefit. They don't want to say hello if they are slobbering and my two do love a cuddle!
I LOVE Newfies and their slobber! Years ago I used to go with my friend to her auntie's house straight from school and she had a Newfie, and I adored her. I used to get slobber all over my school trousers haha, and it used to drive my mum bonkers. :devil:

I love all big hairy slobbery dogs. :lol:

#20 ·
I LOVE Newfies and their slobber! Years ago I used to go with my friend to her auntie's house straight from school and she had a Newfie, and I adored her. I used to get slobber all over my school trousers haha, and it used to drive my mum bonkers. :devil:

I love all big hairy slobbery dogs. :lol:
thats one of the main reasons i go to dog shows- to get cuddles from the big slobbery bib-wearing bears!! :ihih:

G
#21 ·
groundshaker dogs are dogs from victorian bulldog bloodlines (mainly mollett lines) from what i am lead to believe , aylestone are a mixed breed bulldog (no idea why you'd put one of these to a 'groundshaker' dog)
groundshaker are nice dogs you should really talk to alan who produced to line.

#22 ·
well im not the breeder im just someone who will take that puppy in and look after it so there the bad ones not the buyer's.
not so shure on weather there is a groundshaker bulldog but seems to be a few threads on google about it and the dads a show dog and 5 generations and state its a groundshaker. but again im not the breeder im buying the dogs because i like them.

have any of you seen this about bulldog breeding it was on itv news

ITV News Bulldog Breeding - YouTube
Well, there is another side to that statement. You are not just taking in the puppy and looking after it, you have paid £700 for it, which in turn means that this breeder, who by the sound of things is a puppy farmer or byb, is encouraged to keep breeding.

People should not buy from this type of breeder, then they would cease to exist.

It's too late now, and I wish you joy of your girl, but please remember in future to always go to a reputable breeder, even if it does cost more. We will never stamp out the evil that is puppy farming so long as they have a ready market.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.