Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

bone alternative??

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by catz4m8z, Jun 18, 2010.

1. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Is there any alternative to giving bone if feeding raw??
    Alot of my cats are abit deficient in the tooth department and wouldnt be able to manage a bone!! Is there any way to give them the right amount of calcium??

2. Tje

Tje Banned

well you can buy complete minces where the bone is already ground finely through the mince....

or you can find a veryyyyy friendly butcher and ask if we would mind grinding bone for you

there are also other alternatives like ground egg shell and special nutrients you can buy to replace bone in their food... but I am not the right person to tell you about those. If Hobbs sees this post she will be able to tell you all the alternatives.

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Me again :D

Several options really.

1) as Tje suggested, you could buy pre-prepared minces that have bones minced in them. No chewing required but you would need to make sure that the minces you get have the required 10% bone in them and not less and not more (more leads to constipation).

2) as suggested by Tje, you could ask whether your butchers will grind them for you. My experience has been that many are loathe to do that because it blunts their blades but you could be lucky!

3) buy ground eggshells, they contain about 38.8% calcium and are a good alternative to bones.

4) if you eat eggs, keep the shell, get rid of the membrane/skin inside it, wash it out, dry it and store it in the fridge as you are collecting. Once you have a few, grind them in a grinder and you have ground eggshells.

5) calcium carbonate - contains about 37% calcium. As a guideline, you need about 0.5g per 100g of meat to balance the calcium/phosphorus - that is only a guide, some meats need more or needs less but that is a good average

6) bonemeal - the one i get has Calcium 35,7 %, Phosphorus 25,6 %. As a guide, you need about 1,6 g of bonemeal per 100g meat every 4th meal.

7) calcium citrate - about 21% calcium. As a guidelines, you need about 0.9g of citrate per 100g of meat. Again that is a guide.

8) Dicalciumphosphate - Calcium 25,5%, Phosphorus 18%

9) meaty bone meal - contains about 14% calcium but also include protein 49%, phosphorus 14%, fat 8%, ash 39%, sodium 0.6% and magnesium 0.26%.

10) Algenkalk (Lithothamnium calcareum powder) - Depending on product but around Calcium 34%, Phosphorus 0,08 %. Derived from an algae (Lithothanium Calcareum) Calcium/phosphorus ratio of around 420:1.

Who would have thought that there is so much choice of getting calcium in those furries.

#3 hobbs2004, Jun 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  4. KathyM

KathyM PetForums Senior

I didn't know you could use kelp powder, I use that for the rats! How would that work out on a mince that contained 4% bone like the Prize Choice stuff? I am terrible at working out things while I'm on this medication, sorry, I know how thick that makes me look. :(

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I am just double checking that I have the right translation - the product is called Algenkalk (sorry i get my products for a German barf shop as there doesn't seem to be such a handy thing in the UK). I wonder whether that is the same as seaweed calcium. Arrrgh i am lost in the land of translation!

It is NOT the same as kelp powder. It is a calcified seaweed that is distinguished by high absorbency into the body. It is rich in calcium and magnesium, but also contains significant levels of other minerals and trace elements like phosphorous, potassium, manganese, boron, iodine, zinc, copper, selenium and cobalt. It retails in the UK under Lithothamnium calcareum powder, and you can get it here for example: http://www.xynergy.co.uk/XynergySit...prod=LCL100P&gclid=CMOP65OSqqICFUeZ2AodnmWwTw
    though i am not sure how much calcium is in this one and whether it is the pure algae or whether something has been added.

#5 hobbs2004, Jun 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  6. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Thanks gives me plenty of options, doesnt it??:D
    I will have to check out prices and availibilty. Its a shame raw feeding with bones wasnt so well known when the cats were younger....before half their teeth fell out!BOL:rolleyes:

7. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Hobbs.....are any of those bone products available here in uk or only from your famous German BARF shop??:)

Edit:
    I have seen the link for the seaweed product. How much would one need to use of that? Is the calcium in a source which cat can utilise ie it is not animal source, does this matter?

#7 Paddypaws, Jun 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Because the Lithothamnium calcareum powder contains numerous other nutrients in addition to the calcium (particularly iodine is notworthy here) I would use it sparingly.

If I were to look for a calcium substitute for bone and I couldn't get ground minces or get a butcher to grind me bones then my first choice would be eggshells followed by calcium carbonate and bonemeal. Ideally you would need the powder, not tablets as the quantities that are required are so small and variable (depending on the meat) that it would be hard to achieve a dose with tablets.

I have had a quick root around for sources and reptile shops seem to do calcium carbonate as well as bonemeal (I believe Indysmamma on here has found bonemeal in a local reptile shop). I for example found this Komodo Cricket Dust Calcium Carbonate Powder 200g | Net Pet Shop. This product doesn't mention the calcium % but I believe most carbonate powders for the pet business are around 38-39% calcium (I hope that this is not made from crickets but made for crickets eek)

Does that help?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice