Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bonding with your Chinchilla

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by BrokenGoddess, Sep 26, 2018.

1. BrokenGoddess

BrokenGoddess PetForums Newbie

Hello!~

This isn't anything serious really... But- I've had my Chinchilla for about 9 months now and I'm VERY happy to have him and he has proved to me that Chins can make really great pets, however...

I for sure didn't expect him to be a cuddle buddy but I do wish he would let me pick him up when needed (I am aware that most Chinchillas don't like being picked up / held) and that he wouldn't seem so distant. Basically, as I interact with him daily I see he has quite the temper-
    He lets me pet him one day but quickly lets me know not to touch him the other day,
    He shows some aggression towards other pets as well,
    Most of the time he avoids coming near me if I'm standing at the cage with the gate open (He does come near if treats or just food are offered),
    And though he doesn't really bite he does snap sometimes...

I've been reading a lot on forums and made sure to check everything even before I brought him home. He is or seems to be doing perfectly fine, he's active, eats well, his curiosity gets him into every corner of the room...

So I'm wondering-
    Bonding with your Chinchilla is a long time process alright but as he still shows his temper after more than half a year... Does he just need more time? Could it also be because I've bought him at the age of 1,5 yrs? Or is it just the fact that he's got his own way and doesn't seem to let humans change that? heh.

I'd be happy to get some opinions or maybe I'm doing something wrong?
    Any bonding tips?~

Thank you!

2. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

This sounds like perfectly normal chin behaviour ref being picked up. Some chins will tolerate it, some will not. When you state that he shows aggression towards other pets, are other animals housed or loose near his cage? If so, you need to either move them, or move his cage to a quiet area where he feels safe. I have 20 chinchillas, and each one is different in personality and has to be individually respected, and handled differently. You have only had your chinchilla a relatively short period of time, and bonding can take many months. Chinchillas have excellent memories and he may have had a negative experience when being handled prior to coming to you. I took a rescue in earlier in the year who bit, kacked and scratched, but with patience and love, this behaviour has now completely ceased. This chin came to me with an eye infection and handling him in order to put drops into his infected eye was difficult in the extreme, but worth the effort to see the eye heal.

#2 Tiggers, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  3. BrokenGoddess

BrokenGoddess PetForums Newbie

(Late reply I know...)
    Thank you for letting me know!
    And no I don't usually keep any other pets around him except for my dog who often comes to sleep in the room (only when I'm in the room as well). They seem to get along though. He mostly gets aggressive if I happen to be carrying my guinea pig with me as I enter the room. I don't do that anymore so he's hopefully happy now!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice