Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bonding nightmare come true.

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Kammie, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Yesterday I decided to let Rosie and George meet properly for the first time and run free after seeing Rosie constantly sitting next to Georges cage and cleaning him through the bars. Up till now George has shown all the signs of being submissive, which is what I need for Rosie as she's dominant, now I'm starting to think George wants to be boss. Brought both rabbits into the living room (neutral territory for both) and let them loose. Rosie goes to sniff George then pounces on him to show dominance but George fought back instead of give in to her. After quickly breaking them up and telling them off I try again but the same thing happens Rosie starts it and George fights back. This is the first time I've dealt with two dominant buns, up till now its just been Rosie and all others have accepted she's boss. Now I'm waiting till George has been to the vet and lost his bits before trying again in the hope its his hormones starting to kick in.

This was the last thing I wanted to happen, looks like I'm in for a long bonding with this pair.

Any advice on bonding two fighters is apprieciated, I don't want to have to give up on them but if worse comes to worse I'll have George as a house rabbit.

2. rebenda

rebenda PetForums VIP

Ive no experience about bonding part from my two who went well so no advice just he'l prob calm down and be better once his neuterd, good luck with it anyhow and keep us updated:)

3. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Oh hun,

Firstly the lounge is far too big a space to bond, you need a dog crate or a toilet/small bathroom. Definetely wait until George is neutered and given time for his hormones to settle.

4. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

yOUR FIRST MISTAKE WAS PUTTING TOGETHER A ENTIRE MALE RABBIT WITH YOUR FEMALE. ID WAIT TILL YOUR MALE BUNNY HAS BEEN DONE WAIT A GOOD 6 WEEKS FOR HIS HORMONES TO SETTLE. IF YOU FEMALE IS NOT NEUTERED YOUR BEST DOING THAT ALSO TO HELP PREVENT HER GETTING CANCER OF THE WOMB. ALSO YOU RUN THE RISK OF UNPLANNED LITTER.

5. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Rosie was spayed a good 3 years ago when I first got her so no worries about cancer or pregnancy. Only reason I tried this so early on was because of how they behaved towards each other when George was in his cage and he was showing no signs of dominance to her. Rosie just seemed so accepting towards him otherwise I wouldn't have even thought of trying so soon, in fact they were cleaning each other through the bars of the cage. With George still being a baby and not having his bits drop yet and coming from a group of other rabbits he may be more accepting to Rosie but I was wrong so now I'll be keeping them completely separated until he's lost his bits when they finally drop.

6. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

cOMBINATION OF BEING YOUNG AND BOUNCY, HORMONES ETC IM SURE HE WILL BE FINE WHEN HES BEEN SORTED. GOODLUCK.

7. frags

frags PetForums VIP

ahhh im sure once he is chopped he will submit alot more.
    i see my 2 girls laying next to each other through the bars but i bet my life if i was to let them together there would be WAR lmao

you will get there in the end x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice