Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bonding/Neutering advice

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Charlotte38582595, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Charlotte38582595

Charlotte38582595 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

So I have an 11 week old doe, and I want to get a buck as a companion for her as soon as possible, but I’m not sure how best to go about this in terms of them both needing to be neutered when I bond them. I intend to get her neutered as soon as she’s old enough/the correct weight and of course I wouldn’t consider introducing a new bunny until she’s fully recovered, however if I get a baby buck it’s going to be a while before he’s old enough to be neutered? Is this okay as long as I keep them separated until he’s been neutered?

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

I would honestly wait until she's spayed. She'll be fertile in the next few weeks before she's old enough to spayed in any case, and once those hormones kick in she could get extremely grumpy with just the smell of another rabbit around.

Once she's spayed and allowed to heal you'll be able to see her true personality and be able to match with a buck - there's no guarantee she'll like the first one you see, humans can't choose, the rabbit chooses! If you have any good rabbit rescues near you, they will do the matchmaking. When my big white boy was widowed, he was like Goldilocks picking his new wifebun at the rescue, had fights with the first two but the third one was just right!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice