Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Bonding-How long?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Corneal, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Corneal

Corneal PetForums Junior

On monday my boys, Barnaby and Bumble, met for the first time, they spent most of their time chasing, then humping, then cuddling.

Bumble had a vet appointment on Tuesday, so their next meeting was Wednesday, they humped a couple times, then cuddled and groomed each other.

Neither of them are showing any signs of agression and act like they have known each other for years.

I let them hang out for 20 minutes each day, they are in a neutral space and are very happy sharing their hay (i couldn't figure out how to set up a free standing water bottle, so they just had hay during this time)

today they hung out and did not humping, chasing, thumping, charging or anything bad. they seem to love each other already and the 20 minutes just felw by, so i let them hang out for longer. I spread around some treats and they were perfectly happy sharing, they dont' hump anymore and it seems that neither of them is 'in charge' and they are both very happy in each other's company. i climbed into the neutral space and where both happy to come over to me without trying to claim me or protect me from the other. Then i added a bigger treat, one of those seed bowls, filled with treats. again, perfectly happy sharing. they are so sweet together.

i read that bonding usually takes weeks, however, they are best of friends. do i really have to wati a few more weeks until they can live together permanently?

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Member

There's no one rule for bonding, every pair is different. If they seem happy sharing I would set up a mattress next to them and leave them together over night but not unsupervised. Sometimes you do get lucky with an instant bond, sometimes it takes a few weeks before one decides he's going to be boss, or one decides a particular toy, treat, or space is theirs and theirs only.

Corneal likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice