Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bonding advice

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Jessica1988, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Jessica1988

Jessica1988 PetForums Newbie

Hi I'm new to this group and really need some adice. I have a female rabbit called isla who was recently left without her male companion devastasing both of us.I went out in seach of a new mate for her and found her a lovely little 12 week old boy, a mini lop lion head who I named Leonard. After a trip to the vet for his first vacs I was informed Leonard was a female! I had introduced Isla and Leonard twice prior to this and it went OK but there was a bit of face nipping and small circled chasing which I thought was fairly normal.I was going to get Leonard (now Lola) spayed soon anyway but after reading people say online that they have had so much trouble trying to bond two females even after spaying and that even females from the same litter can fall out and begin to fight even after years of living peacefully ,I am wondering if it's best for both rabbits to find Lola a new home.This idea troubles me as I want to find her a home with someone who will bond her and give her the kind of home I would've,not someone that will stick her in a hutch or use her for breeding.The lady who I got her off isn't answering her phone.Does anyone think I should try bonding them or is it not worth the risk? I have a large outdoor/indoor areally where they both would live together one day but seen as I watch them 24/7 I'm scared of them turning on each other and finding one seriously injured?? Thank you x jess

2. Bunnicula

Bunnicula PetForums Junior

Believe it or not but I managed to get a successful three-way bonding with my three girls. One way that seemed to help was to keep them only together in a neutral area for introductions. I must also ask if you followed quarantine rules with your new bunny. As all rabbits carry pasturella(sp?) Aka the sniffles it can be triggered by a stressful event such as moving to a new home.

Signs of the disease is runny eyes/nose and snot stained front feet, if either rabbit shows signs get them treated though they will carry it for the rest of their lives and pass it on to any new bunnies they meet. It can be an awful thing for your bunny to contract. I have been in contact with breeders that have had whole rabbitries wiped out by it.

Now on to your bonding question, one thing I have found to be useful in getting them to bond is getting a cat/dog carrier big enough for both and either taking them for a long drive or setting it on a running washer. The stress of going for a car ride can help them bond and to realize each other as beings of comfort. If that doesn't work you may just have to consider rehoming oby charging higher then the price most people would selling feeder rabbits or meat rabbits. Sometimes you can never be sure as people do lie. Do you have any rescues in your area that could take Lola in?

Quick edit to say, don't mistake the natural moisture that can appear under your bunny's nose as pasturella. If it gets hot out their breathing can cause a wet look to appear under their nose naturally and it is usually never wet to the touch. What you want to look for is wet sneezes resulting in white snot, matted fur under/around nose and on the front feet. Pasturella can also cause fur loss on the face.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice