Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bonding a bunny to my lone unneutered male?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by cupcake, Jun 28, 2009.

1. cupcake

cupcake PetForums Member

Hello :)

I've recently moved my bunny outside to have the run of the brickshed I have in my garden. He used to lived in a converted walk in wardrobe in my bedroom, but I decided he needed more space.

Since moving him out (a few days ago) hes been getting lonely, and very excited when either me or my dog appear by the door.

I mentioned this to my mother (thinking she wouldn't let me get another bunny) and to my suprise she suggested getting him a pal.

Hes unneutered, and I've had him since 11 wks old, hes never lived in a hutch or cage (since I've had him anyway) and has never had a friend :(

How would I go about getting and introducing a new bunny to him? Should I get him neutered or maybe get him a spayed girlfriend? perhaps a baby male?
    I've always been planning to neuter him but haven't had the money available.

If it comes to it I will borrow some money from my mother and pay her back, but if I can get him a friend soon without having to neuter first, that would be great.

Can anybody help me? :eek:
    xx

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You will have to have him neutered before you think about getting him a mate. Even if you were to get a spayed female, there is a very good chance he will hump her obsessively.

Its doubtful that you would be able to bond him with a male. Your best bet would be to contact a rescue once hes done, and recovered from his op, and ask them to bond him for you. If you choose an unspayed doe you will have to wait 6 weeks after he is neutered.

How big is the shed? Does he have access to daylight and the outside?

3. cupcake

cupcake PetForums Member

Okay thanks :)

Not sure about the exact measurements but its bigger than the average run.
    Hes got a window and a mesh door that provide air circulation and light. Also he gets let out in his harness so he can stretch his legs and nibble at the grass. Soon getting him a run so access to the outside wont be a problem.
    x

4. frags

frags PetForums VIP

i 2nd everything nonnie said.
    deffo get him done and then go to a rescue to get him bonded with an adult doe.
    good luck

5. umber

umber PetForums VIP

Although both Nonnie and Frags are very experienced here and give alot of great advice they forgot to mention one very important thing.......

We wanna seeeee piccies of your baby asapppppp! :D

6. frags

frags PetForums VIP

oh yeah i forgot its a banning offence :p we have to see pics of your bun :D

7. cupcake

cupcake PetForums Member

[​IMG]

This is when I first got him and he was a little scrawny :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice