Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bonding 2 females-help!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Jakub, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Jakub

Jakub PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone. I had previously 2 buns, male and female and bonding was quite easy. They lived at home but since my son was born we had to move them outside to the hutch. Sadly male bun passed away and Kiki(female) was feeling down so we got her another companion over 2 weeks ago.

Now Kiki is spayed but the other one is not. First days Kiki was very aggressive but given time she started to accept her new bunny,chilling grooming with occasional nip in the but, but only when they are at home. As soon as I place both of them in the hutch Kiki goes ballistic and I really don't know what to do.
    At the moment they seperate, one in the hutch, another in the attached run and they lived like that for over 2 weeks now.

Any ideas what should I do? I don't get it at home they cool and relaxed, why they don't get along in their hutch?

2. Lunaluu

Lunaluu PetForums Junior

I am currently trying to bond my male with a new female so I am new at bonding too and can't really offer any advice but didn't want to read and run. Sounds like a territorial issue.

Are you willing to keep the separate if it doesn't work?

I hope someone else can offer you more advice, I'll follow the thread too.

3. Jakub

Jakub PetForums Newbie

If it comes to worse I will separate run and hutch so they both have half. New bun have a very calm and cuddlish nature so im definitely not giving her anywhere. Maybe spaying her will help but that will have to wait till next year.

4. Corneal

Corneal Shelly

BOTH rabbits MUST be spayed and they cant just be thrown in together you have to take them through the bonding process.
    step one,spay both rabbits, and allow them 6 weeks to recover from their operation and allow their hormones to go down. during thsi time keep the buns seperate and out of eyeshot and smeeling shot to each. dont let them see each other or even know there is another rabbit around.
    step 2. after the 6 weeks move their hutches next to each toher so they can see each other and smell, but not touch.
    step three. create a neutral space for them to meet. never just place one bun in their other's space. this is a big no no and could cuase massive fight and injuries. a neutral space can the kitchen floor, a run neither have been in or a small room without any cables, hot radiators or ways of escaping. if you cant find a space you can make on neutral by spraying it with a water/vinegar combination the neutral space should include water and hay, but no treats,toys, pellets or places to hide
    step three. have someone to help, place both rabbits down in the neutral space on opposite sides of the room, allow them to hop over to each other and migle. if they sniff, lick, chase, nible or hump then leave them be, humping is how rabbits work out who is boss. if they hump the head or bite pull them apart and place them back on opisote sidesof the room. allow them to mingle for no more than 20 minutes. do this every day for a few weeks. do not rush them. as they become more friendly with each other you can lengthen the play sessions. do not sit in the neutral zone with them, be nearby, but not in their way. if agression happens you can try putting them in a joint stressful situation, i.e. place them in a DRY bath they will bond over the stress of slipping and sliding. if they are being friendly and not agressive you can make their play space bigger. when you are confident that they are happy and relaxed with one another. this is when they are grooming each other, lying out stretched near each other and activly seeking the other's attention, then you can attempt an overnight play session. stay nearby and be ready to split them up if serious agression hapens in the night.
    step 4 if this is succesful you can move them into their shared forever home. the home will have to be neutral. to spray it with the vinegar solution and move the furniture around a little. then place both buns in and hope for thebest. if at any point they appear to have fallen out and are very agressive you will have to start for step one again.

good luck

5. Jakub

Jakub PetForums Newbie

I must say that's totally different to what I've done with my first two rabbits. We have Kiki since she was 8 weeks old and she bonded with our male way before being spayed. I will try the vinegar solution on the hutch since when they are home they already grooming each other and seem fine so it looks like Kiki is very defensive with her hutch. Sadly I don't have a second one nor I have space for it and being at home for now is out of question.

6. Lunaluu

Lunaluu PetForums Junior

I have just decided to have the new female spayed as I read that otherwise I will have to rebond them again and I don't want to go through that again. So I will call tomorrow to book the appointment, but do i really need to keep them so far away from each other, my bunnies are kept outside and we only have one garden. I was planning to bring her in for whatever time it takes her to heel, but bringing her in for a month + the time it takes them to bond I don't think I could put her back out till the spring.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice