Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

bonded rabbit partners death advice?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Erinx0, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Erinx0

Erinx0 PetForums Newbie

Hello,
    I was wondering if you could help but I have 2 bonded bunnies both 6 months old however on Saturday (29th September) one of them unfortunately passed (jasper). I’ve read up a lot online and everything says different so I was wondering what’s the best thing to do. Shall I get another bunny as Theo (the one that’s still with me) has never been alone before and I feel like it’s unfair to keep him alone for the rest of his life. also after jaspers passing he never got to spend time with the body as it’s suggested to so I don’t want him waiting his whole life for him to come back. I’m aware I will need to bond them but I would like to know what’s best. If it is best to get another bunny should it be roughly the same age, older, younger or does it not matter. I’m also not at home all the time and they are outside so I’m not always there even though when I’m home they come inside. And I just wanted to add that the bunny died of something in his brain and it wasn’t our fault so I don’t sound irresponsible.
    I hope you can help,
    thank you

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

Sorry to hear you lost one bun :( have you had Theo checked at the vet just to make sure it wasn't anything contagious?

Whereabouts do you live? A rescue is the best place to go to bond with another bun. Two is so much better than one.

3. Erinx0

Erinx0 PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your help
    We haven’t had Theo checked however jasper died in the vets so I did ask and they said it isn’t contagious and Theo should be ok. I also live in the south east of England near London and unfortunately there isn’t any bunny rescues Near me although I’m trying to find something.

4. Georgia2394

Georgia2394 PetForums Newbie

I lost one of my bonded buns recently. The one still with me, he’s three, he was alone with me for the first year of his life and then I got Willow, she died just after turning 2, he only got to spend less than 10 minutes with her (not as long as I’d have liked) when she passed and I definitely noticed a difference in his behaviour. After seeing how he was with her, there was no question about getting him a new friend. I waited a couple of months before getting a new bunny. He instantly bonded with the new bun, wanted snuggles constantly! She’s taken a little longer, doesn’t quite understand how to groom him and thumps sometimes when he goes near her but she’s still a youngster (I’d recommend getting one of a similar age). When I wake up and they’re snuggled up next to each other or munching away at their dinner together I know it was the right choice, he couldn’t be alone! I’d definitely recommend getting a new bun! (Sorry for the essay!)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice