Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bond between human and rabbit?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Milka, Jul 31, 2020.

?

Does you rabbit love you

1. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. yes

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. it's complicated

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Milka

Milka PetForums Member

Hi.
    I have been thinking about getting two rabbits in the future. Maybe in 1-2 years.
    And now I'm going to ask a really stupid guestion.
    When you think about a cat and a human, they can have a very deep bond, they love each others and are gentle and kind to each others.
    How is the bond between human and rabbit? How does it differ from the bond that human and a cat develop?
    How do rabbits show affection?
    I'd like to have an pet that is affectionate, like a cat. But because I'm vegan, rabbit would be easier in a sense that I'm not very comfortable around meat. Don't get me wrong! I would never make a cat go vegan, I wouldn't even try to make my boyfriend vegan. But I just am not comfy around meat. It makes me sick, that's all. But I did have a cat for 15 years and she was a carnivore and I can respect and understand that.
    But now I'm really interested in rabbits. But I'm not sure.

And I know that taking a pet isn't about what you get, it's about what you can give to your pet. But for me, it would be easier to take care of someone who cares about me. And that we make each others happy. So of course the needs of the rabbits would come first. But I'm not going to adopt yet so I have time to think about this. But it would be waste of time to start my reseach if I end up finding out that rabbits can't learn to like their care givers.

I don't have much knowledge, so if you can recomend some books or websites to start my journey of becoming a rabbit nerd, that would be awesome!
    Also, does rabbits have advocates, like cats have Jackson Galaxy and Hannah Shaw?
    I have already stumbled upon Lennon the Rabbit on YouTube and I like how she is free roaming, kinda like a indoor cat would be.

#1 Milka, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  2. Corneal

Corneal Cornealia

I used to watch Lenon the rabbit but now that channel is soooooo annoying. They are in America were vaccinations aren’t a thing, she is totally against hutches and feeds her rabbit lettuce!

But yes, rabbits can be super loving, and the more time you spend with your rabbit the more living they become, they lick and groom you when they like/love you and it’s soooo cute! They run up to you for attention and live curling up next to or on you for a cuddle. No matter the time of day if I go pick up my jack and put him on my chest he will fall asleep on me and stay asleep for as long as I’m stroking him.

Milka likes this.
  3. Milka

Milka PetForums Member

What?! Lennons guardian isn't vaccinating her? That's neglect! :(
    Why is she against hutches? Isn't that some sort of an outdoor cage for rabbits? I'm not that fond of caging animals either, but if the outdoor enclosure is large enough, I'm fine with the idea. Why lettuce? Aren't rabbits supposed to eat 85% of hay and some dark leafy greens and a teny tiny bit of some sort of pellet, plus their own poop? Otherwise they get sick, right?

Aww! Thank you a thousand for those stories! :)

4. Milka

Milka PetForums Member

By the way, Jack is cute! If that's his picture, I mean. :)
    You can pick him up? I read somewhere that rabbits get scared when picked up. He doesn't bite when you do that? That's amazing! Rabbits are all different, I guess. There is no one way to be a rabbit.

5. Milka

Milka PetForums Member

Well, it's a relieve to know that rabbits can love their humans. I was kinda worried that I would just be their servant and they would ignore me and make a mess. I know that they'll make a mess anyway, but cleaning after them would be so much more gratifying if they'd love me back.

Like with my cat, she basically destroyed my appartment. She would shed a lot of fur pretty much all the time, scratch things that she wasn't supposed to and sometimes, because she was very old, she would have an opsie on the bathroom floor. But I didn't mind. I would just pet her and clean up.

6. Corneal

Corneal Cornealia

American vets don’t vaccinate rabbits. It’s just not done over there. Hitches aren’t used in America and they think it’s cruel to keep them outside. She has a video where she visits a kid in the uk and teaches her how to look after rabbits. And it’s sooo bad! The cultural differences are so extreme that I couldn’t even watch it all the way through as I kept yelling at the screen! Yes rabbits are meant to eat loads of hay and veg, but lettuce (and carrots) make them ill and give them health problems.

Milka likes this.
  7. Corneal

Corneal Cornealia

Yeah that’s Jack in my photo. He’s a big cuddle bug! I have 5 other rabbits too. And none of them bite they do all run off when I go to pick them up, but once I get them in my arms they settle down and are very happy joining me for a cuddle.

Attached Files:

Milka likes this.
  8. Corneal

Corneal Cornealia

House rabbits will also destroy your stuff btw, they will chew and pee on everything so if you have a house bunny, keep antiques and stuff you like a lot out of the room they are in

Milka likes this.
  9. Milka

Milka PetForums Member

Yeah.. I have heard that before! I just have to bunny-proof my appartment and clean after them. :D

10. Milka

Milka PetForums Member

He is so cute! What a bundle of love. :)

11. Milka

Milka PetForums Member

Damn...Americans are ignorant. How come they don't know how dangerous Myxomatosis and RVHD are?! Argh! And I don't understand how it could be cruel to keep bunnies outside. I mean, I have seen many people take their rabbits out in a harness and those have been some happy bunnies.
    I gotta watch that video. :(

12. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I honestly think it depends on the individual. Like any animal, humans included, they have their own characters. I've kept several rabbits in my time, one particularly loved me, most were indifferent and one rescue bunny hated all humans

Rabbits are outdoor animals

Milka likes this.
  13. Milka

Milka PetForums Member

Thank you for the info. That's interesting.
    I know that everyone is an individual, just like cats. But with cats I always get along. Even the feisty ones. I just love cats so much and am good with them. I know how to hande them, care for them and give them enough space, I guess. Most cats like me. And I like them a lot.

But I don't know about rabbits that much. I'm just curious.
    I wonder how it would work if I'd have two cats and two bunnies in the house? Would they not kill each others if they'd get to know each others from when they are very young? Would the rabbits be scared or hurt?
    I couldn't keep them outside because here where I live, it's almost always very cold outside. I tought I could take them out with me in a harness like I have seen some other people do.
    Many people who I know have rabbits inside, roaming free and not in a cage. I'm against keeping rabbits in a cage.
    What do you think about that? I mean, indoor rabbits seem to be somewhat happy and healty too. Even though, like I said, I don't understand them that much. But over all, I think they are okay. Why do you think that they cannot be indoor animals?

14. Milka

Milka PetForums Member

Have you ever tried to teach you bunnies tricks?

15. Merixie

Merixie PetForums Member

For me rabbits are both indoor or outdoor it all come down to personality. One of my bunnies love chewing shoes and carry them around while the other is overly kind to everyone.

They don’t really destroy anything indoors but that’s just my boys personality. I would say they both love me but I had a girl that would get super stressed indoors specially towards night time. She would scratch the doors and move things the whole night except when she got to sleep in my room and boink me the whole night while grunting. She also had the stomach to occupy most of the bed. Try waking up with a bunny at 6 kg clumsily jump up onto your chest

When she moved outdoors she could dig her burrows and would always binky. She passed away this year.

I have taught my bunnies easy tricks as coming when being called. It have helped me a lot specially with my lop boy that always escape the cage or house. I just call his name and say come and he will come running all the times he have run away. Then I just pick him up and cover him with kisses and hug him, the stress of not finding your bunny is horrible

While my other buck can jump loose on the yard, sometimes he will run away from me when he want to spend more time outdoors but then I just get the treat jar shake it and he will jump into the house again.

Myself always keep my bunnies free roaming or at least make them have a room to play in when being outdoors but I also have a big hutch with a run attached. One of my bunnies always sleep in his cage during the night but he like spending time in his cage. It’s his safe zone and he have space to binky and play.

The litter training is great after neutering/spay at least with mine. One never pee up on soft beds or couched but the smallest have a tendency that when he play up on my bed I can have accidents, So I always cover the bed with blankets that can absorb after him. They become like cats running around but more clumsy Taking the bunnies outdoor with harness have never been a trouble except with one. I can only take him out in the yard because he’s scared of humans (trauma) and can panic if too much happens around him. So harness training and walk will also depend on the bunnies personality.

Attached Files:

Milka likes this.
  16. rona

rona Still missing my boys

No. Though a couple used to like jumping over low level obstacles. It was a very long time ago that I had Rabbits, there's wasn't indoor rabbits back then.

Milka likes this.
  17. Milka

Milka PetForums Member

Thank you so much for everything! :)
    This is very intriguing.

It's nice to know that bunnies can learn tricks too. I found a YouTube channel and a blog called The Bunny Lady. https://bunnylady.com/4-tricks-to-teach-your-rabbit/
    I'm interested on the tricks because at least between cats and humans it's a great bonding time, so it's not in vain or just for fun.
    But it's good to know that it also helps when they wander off. That sounds scary. There is so much dangers for bunnies outside. Birds or even dogs can get them and bad weather can be deadly too. :( Are rabbits microchipped, incase they get lost? I mean, since they are prey animals they'd probably hide effectively, but still...

I'm sorry for your loss. :(
    How old were she?

#17 Milka, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  18. Milka

Milka PetForums Member

Yes, I have heard that people used to think that way and that children tried to convince their parents into letting the rabbit inside, but the parents wouldn't let that happen because they thought that the rabbits would make a huge mess (well, to be fair, they do) and smell bad (they actually don't). :)

19. Milka

Milka PetForums Member

Weren't dogs and cats mostly outdoor animals too back in the day? :)
    I wonder if your not so good experiences with rabbits are because those were kept outside? I have heard that you need to spent several hours every day with your rabbit to bond effectively and succesfully.
    I'm a zookeeper and at our school there were a lot of rabbits, but those were caged. :( They didn't like humans and I didn't like them. I thought that rabbits were boring and weird.
    We students mostly just fed them, cleaned their bowls, trimmed their nails and took medical exams. Sometimes we would take them to the stable so that they could have some exercise and sometimes we would take them (in their cages) outside so that they could enjoy fresh air a little bit.

#19 Milka, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  20. Corneal

Corneal Cornealia

When I’ve spoken to Americans on holiday about the subject they said that rabbits don’t live as long in america (probably coz of not vaccinating) and are thought of as a short lived “disposable” pet and that if one dies you just go to petsmart and get another. In America they are often lumped together with hamster and mice and rats, and many shops (even in then Uk) sell inappropriate equipment that isn’t same for rabbits, but is safe for rodents (of which rabbits are not, they are Lagomorphs)

Milka likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice