Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

boiler advice

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Cloudygirl, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

I need a new boiler and a radiator fitted which will prob take 2-3 days. I'm worried about the cats and disruption and how safe they'd be but I'm also v worried about booking them into a cattery as they are so timid. Anyone else been through this and what did you do?

2. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

I had a new bathroom fitted in June, which took 5.5 days. Cookie was a bit stressed the first day, but there was a lot of banging as they demolished the old bathroom and removed the old tiles and removed the debris. I took the week off and for the first day or so she was restricted to my lounge. But she had no issues with her relocated litter tray and by the end of the week she went outside for a short time in an enclosure I had. The guys were very good ensuring exit doors were closed if she was around.

I did buy some rescue remedy but I bought it a bit late and it didn't arrive until later in the week.

#2 Cookieandme, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  3. Chillicat

Chillicat PetForums VIP

We had the whole house fitted with a central heating system about 5 years ago & we put Chilli in the cattery.
    Our reasoning was she is very nervous of strangers and being an indoor cat we didn't want her getting out. We are very lucky in that she loves the cattery and the owners are fab.
    It gave us piece of mind and meant the job was a bit easier for the fitters as we had floorboards up and every room being worked in.
    I am probably quite paranoid when it comes to care of my cats & I would always rather place them in the cattery (that I trust completely) rather then people coming to look after them as I would worry that they may get out because someone else may not be so vigilant.

4. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

I agree, I'd probably do that if I had major work doing to the house. I felt guilty when Jess was scared witless just having a sky box and dish installed as the guy needed to use his big drill to get through the wall to the outside for the cable.

5. Aurelie

Aurelie PetForums VIP

If you can get them to do your bedroom or another room tucked away from the noise first, you can then move the cats with their litter tray etc into there during the day. The heating engineers will put all the floorboards back each day when they go home to you can give your cat free reign of the house in the evenings.

I think even with the noise, your cats would prefer to be in familiar surroundings with familiar smells and places to sleep.

I know its not quite the same thing, but we had a new boiler and all new radiators put in a couple of weeks after our son was born and there really wasn't much disruption at all.

6. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

Just thought I would update to say I'm still boilerless and freezing but had someone in today giving me a quote. My dad kindly said that he'd speak to the plumber for me as I had to work so he went round my house. I had shut the cats in the back and said leave them there safe and let them out when you leave into the rest of the house. Got home tonight and half the lights were on so rang dad to say why are my lights on do you think I'm made of money. Anyway it appears that they didnt shut doors after them and the plumber went out to his van to get a measuring tape. When he'd gone dad couldn't find the cats. Looked everywhere for them frantically hence the lights being on and found them down the cellar.

If i use this plumber they will have to go in the cattery if the cats nearly get lost after 30 mins :mad: I was not impressed with dad at all.

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Just an idea ...........

Can you borrow a large dog crate that you could put the cats in with a litter try, beds, food, water etc. and keep it in a room that you will be in?

If you think they will be stressed in a cattery, they would probably be less stressed in a crate with you around. I assume you are going to be there whilst the work is done?

When the men go for a lunch break you could let the cats out into the room for a while.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice