UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I don't want to say anything about this video yet but am wondering on people's views. I know what I think but have had a couple of conflicting answers. I don't want to say anything in case it sways your thoughts

It's a bit noisy so if it will set your dogs of, be warned ;) but sound needs to be heard. This is hard to post but here goes! An hope it links

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Having no background at all, but seeing the video, the barking dog is asking you for something. When that's not forthcoming, in fact he gets a correction/punishment he gives up on asking you, and hides under the table.

I would want to explore how he feels about that other dog and you before I could say what he's asking you for, but obviously I'd want to know ages of dogs, both their backgrounds, living arrangements etc. My first thought was maybe he was asking you to make the other dog go away, but it's possible he's asking for back up (ie confidence in numbers) to go beat it up, knowing the history of the breed. So there's two conflicting opinions in the same post! It's impossible to tell without a history of the dogs.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Barking dog is ten month old pup of the dog in the background. I live alone with them, although grown up kids visit and stay from time to time. Mother is now spayed, he isn't.

He hit adolescence with a bang and this outburst is a result of being told to do something he didn't want to. Initially, he launched at me with his feet planted on my chest giving it the gob. After about thirty seconds he got off and the video is the aftermath

Any other info please ask. I am consulting with a behaviourist at the moment so please don't think I allow this, it's awful to deal with. As a side note, obviously I bred him and both parents have exemplary temperaments or I wouldn't have bred

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
The tone of the bark at first does seem to be asking/seeking attention..The sort of bark mine do when they are unsure or unhappy about something.. as in there something new in the room and they are trying to get me to look..

The growling is a little more worrying..Esp as you mention his behaviour..
Good that you are condsulting an expert I hope it works out well for you both

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Without the background I would have said he's unsure of the other dog and is seeking reassurance from you, and for you to sort the 'problem' out. There is definitely some tension between the dogs though.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I noticed that the dog in the background is eyeballing the dog in front. Who appears stressed about it. Watch it with the sound off.
Instead of trying to psycho-analyse dogs I prefer to train the behaviour I want.
In this instance, I would have called both dogs to me and asked for a Sit and rewarded.
That way both dogs are being brought under control and learning to defer to me. And they feel good about it.
Which is what I want.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
If that's how he's acting I'd stick with advice from your behaviourist who has seen the dogs and can ask for all the info he/she needs. I know to my cost the damage following internet advice on behaviour can do to a dog. :(

G

·
The barking dog is very unsure from what I saw. He’s unsure of whoever is holding the camera, and unsure of the dog behind him too. He’s not acting from confidence at all that I can see. If anything he’s acting like he feels threatened.
And the dog behind him IS being rather threatening! The barking dog even makes several attempts to appease her (several very clear calming signals directed at her) which she doesn’t seem to respond to. Her stare and stance remains just as hard.

I’m glad to hear you have a behavioralist involved.

Just out of curiosity, how did you teach him sit?
In this instance, how did you ask him to sit? (Tone of voice, hand signal, were you standing or sitting etc.?)
Did he resist right away or did you ask more than once and then he jumped on you?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was me behind the camera and the dog in the doorway is his mum.

He was taught to sit initially...when he naturally sat, it was accompanied with the command and a treat. This particular time, I was sitting and both dogs were on the rug, not sure if it's visible in the video, I asked him to sit, and he didn't. It was on the second sit command that he flew. At this point I stood up and his mum went to stand in the doorway, she never intervenes when he acts up like this with me but will still discipline him in other instances. Out of shot there is another door that was open and leads to the garden. Once he had all four paws on the ground, I grabbed the iPad and filmed this

I appreciate what you said about not advising Boredom, and I understand the reasons. He is my responsibility and I will get there, he will not be palmed off anywhere

·
Registered
23,250 Posts
Good thing you have a behaviourist involved coz I wouldnt have a clue TBH!:eek: I have no sound on my pooter and from that clip I would of said that the dog was nervous, lacking confidence and looked abit like mine at first when they hear a strange noise. Then when he went under the table he looked more fearful of the other dog in the doorway who was staring quite hard.
He sounds like a very confused boy!:(

Reactions: Jenny Olley

·
Registered
58 Posts
Whatever his behaviour had been before hand, I think holding up the iPad filming him would have been an additional cause of stress here. If you're going to film him in future, it would be better with a camera sat on a table rather than holding it and pointing it at him. Some dogs get very uncomfortable when people point a camera at them and in this case you would have been holding the iPad up infront if your face. He looks unsure and at a complete loss as to what to do.
It seems to me that his behaviour initially was frustration and acting out and then became fearful.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Have you shown it to the person who is dealing with the dogs, as has already been said, the dog that is barking and growling looks worried, fearful and in defence, I think he would like to leave, but can't as his mum is standing in the middle of the exit, he then goes under the table to get out of the way, perceives he is still being threatened, by you telling him off, hence the growling.

Although you had asked him to sit, it seems unlikely that alone would have caused this behaviour, I wouls suspect he didn't want to sit next to the other dog, for which he will have had his reasons, although of course you know the dogs better than anyone.

·
Registered
815 Posts
the barking dog is fearful of something, which is why it went under the table. The other dog was blocking the exit so he could not flee therefore was getting more stressed.

The actual body language was not aggressive as such, but it was obvious he was fearful of something and felt cornered because he could not get out. Also standing there with the camera was you staring at the dog ? If you had turned and move away and ignored then it would have most likely died down as he felt confrontational.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He did have an exit where he could have chosen to leave the room. I haven't taken any other video because as has been said, it might be un nerving him.

My behaviourist has seen it and is of the opinion, like many here, that he is a very confused boy, not quite knowing how to deal with what he has done ie the launch at me.

·
Team Ginger!
10,710 Posts
He sounds like mine used to be, when he was in a situation he did not understand/like/know what was requested of him/ what to do/scared/worried- or he was testing the rules- standard response- launch and make noise- whatever it is usually then goes away- in this instance neither you nor the other dog went away- so he hid under the table- not an ideal response but not a bad one either all things considered.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.