Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bob Martins Spot on(‘BEWARE:)

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by puppywalker, Feb 26, 2008.

1. puppywalker

puppywalker PetForums Junior

The accidental use of (( Bob Martins Spot on )) for DOGS can KILL CATS (pimethrin based products such as this are actually the highest incidence of poisonings in cats in the UK). CAUSES POISONING AND SOMETIMES DEATH IN CATS’ :eek:

I found this the other day,while surfing the net.

Has anyone else read about this.

2. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

im sure i`ve read that on the actual packaging

3. puppywalker

puppywalker PetForums Junior

Am glad,hope it is on packet,i should really have checked it out for myself.
    Not that i use it, as only use things the vet gives us for Guide Dogs.
    Just got such a shock, as i know alot of people use same products for dogs and cats without checking.

4. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

i tend to find the cheaper the product the more harm it can do,plus it doesn`t kill fleas.much prefer stronghold

5. lizd4688

lizd4688 PetForums Member

i have been told about this awhile ago.
    a friend in work had to take her cat to the vets because it had licked the back of the neck of the dog that had it on.
    cat recovered but one big bill

6. AJ

AJ Guest

We use Bob Martins on all our pets and the dog one clearly states on the packaging in numerous places that its "extremely poisonous to cats".

7. catherine

catherine PetForums Newbie

Yes it's been like that for at least 6 years.

Never use a medicinal dog product on a cat in the same way you wouldn't use a horse product on a human. They are 2 different species with totally different physiologies - meaning that their bodies deal with different things in different ways - especially medicines.

The products you mention that are suitable for both dogs and cats are probably not as strong as insecticides and can be tolerated by finicky little cats.

As with any medicine - always read the label.

8. garryd

garryd Guest

i wouldent use Bob Martins FULL STOP!:mad:

9. AJ

AJ Guest

why not??? :eek:

10. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I don't buy over the counter stuff like that,it really isn't very effective and our bitch had an allergic reaction to the wormer I brought,it cost us alot more than if we had gone to the vets to start with.

11. garryd

garryd Guest

cause it dont work alan! your much better buying from a vet or the rspca over the counter than buying crap like that from a pet shop;)
    Every body knows that most products like this from a pet shop have a notorious history of not doing what it is suposed to !:(

12. AJ

AJ Guest

We use the stuff that used to only be sold over the counter, but is now available in pet shops. We've never had a problem with it or had a pet with fleas. :)

13. garryd

garryd Guest

correct me if i am wrong but Bob Martins has allways been pet shop availble:)

14. AJ

AJ Guest

Dunno, maybe I'm thinking of the wrong stuff altogether then, I havent got a box atm so maybe I'm wrong :confused:

15. garryd

garryd Guest

my rule of thumb might differ from yours Alan but i never buy the stuff from a pet shop as like i say ,it has a terrible reputation for not being any good!
    Besides i buy most of my stuff from my local rspca as its allways much cheaper than any vets !

16. AJ

AJ Guest

Our local RSPCA is over 20 miles away! I think we spend enough already at the vets as well! :D Never had a problem with the stuff we use and i'm sure it says that it used to only be available by prescription or something like that! I'm pretty sure its Bob Martins as well. :)

17. claire

claire Guest

it is poo that the closest RSPCA is so far away:confused:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice