Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

bob martin spot on reaction?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by shellyann1971, Jun 25, 2010.

1. shellyann1971

shellyann1971 PetForums Member

Hi

can anyone advise I am quite worried after reading reviews on the above product

I applied this product to all my cats(5) two days ago..

All seem fine and healthy and eating, but one has lost his fur on the back of his neck, and has a little sore on there... he seems fine apart from this

I usually use frontline , and never had a reaction like this .... is it really the brand that has caused this, and should I take my boy to the vets? I am going to call them tomorrow anyway, lucky they are open sat am...

thanks

Michelle

2. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I think that quite a lot of cats have a localised reaction to Bob Martin, opinion seems to be just don't use the stuff. I did hear on another forum of one poor cat who had a systemic reaction and eventually died, but I am sure that is very rare. Check with your vet...then go back to using what they prescribe

3. eyelicker

eyelicker PetForums Newbie

One of my cats had a bad reaction to Frontline a few years ago, he was convulsing and went into shock. I shot him to the vets who assured me this was not uncommon and gave him an antihistamine, sure enough a few hours later he was fine again. After the reaction we were advised to use frontline spray instead, which he was fine with.
    BTW I use wormers & flea control only when required and certainly not on as a precautionary measure. Both are agressive treatments which their bodies have to cope with, so I don't impose these drugs on my cats without cause.

4. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

I tried the wilkos spot on on my cat and he was dribbling and frothing at the mouth but frontline he was ok. I always thought bob martins was a good brand been going for years but they could be just allergic to that make.

5. shellyann1971

shellyann1971 PetForums Member

Hi

thanks for all your replies....

Frontline does it too.... ?!

I didnt know about bob martin until I looked it up on the net, its bad isnt it, my mother told me about bob martin, after I told her what I found, so it seems a lot of people know about it.
    At least I know my 5 are ok with frontline, although I may go back to the injections next year, as this was always the way I went years ago..

thanks so much for your replies. the boy that had the reaction has had no other reactions, thankfully, he had the drops last 5 days ago now,so I am hoping from what I read, he is over the worst of it now, as what I read serious reactions are within 24hrs... I will still keep a eye on him tho for a wee bit longer

Michelle

6. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I agree totally with eyelicker....I am very cautious with my use of flea products and keep a very close eye on the cats whenever I do dose them. I have 4 ( now 5 ) cats, one with FAD but only use flea products when absolutely necessary and that might be once a year. Last year seemed to be bad for fleas and I did dose them all, also sprayed the whole house with Indorex...again I hate using it but locked all the cats out for several hours afterwards.

7. Cherrybomb84

Cherrybomb84 PetForums Newbie

I used Bob Martin once and then read lots of awful reviews about it poisoning cats so never tried it again.
    Thankfully my cat didnt react to it, but still worried if I tried it again he would.
    Its definitely worth paying a little extra for piece of mind and safety of your pet.
    Lots of online pharmacies sell frontline, etc as cheap as bob martin anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice