Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Boating with your Dog.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MissSpitzMum, Feb 7, 2018.

1. MissSpitzMum

MissSpitzMum PetForums Senior

Hey all,

We are planning another holiday with barkyface in the future and an idea shot into our head; why not a boating one?

He loves the water, we like the idea of it, so why not? Oh yes, I am quite afraid of deep water, but I am sure I could get over that. :p

I am wondering if anyone has ever been on a boating holiday with hounds, whether that be on the canals or the norfolk broads or where ever! I would love to hear of your experiences, see some lovely pics, and to see if we can find an ideal boating holiday for us.

2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Many many years ago we went on a canal holiday with some friends and took our dog along, an Irish Setter. He thought it was great fun and really enjoyed the whole experience. He wasn't much of a water dog, enjoyed paddling and could swim but it wasn't the be all and end all as it is with my current dog.
    What was good about a canal holiday was that there are always towpaths and we would often walk him whilst the boat trundled along the canal. It was a lovely holiday.

3. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

As a child we regularly went on canal boat holidays (the water isn't deep normally 4-6ft I think) and took the dog, she would sit and watch the world go by and if we moored up near a pub we would either leave her or take her in depending on the landlord but I would imagine there to be far more dog friendly pubs nowadays than 30 odd years ago, I hated it as a child but it was a very dog friendly holiday.

MissSpitzMum likes this.
  4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

That really surprises me. We used to take our dogs into pubs a lot 30/40 years ago but really struggle to find ones we can take them in nowadays.

5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

kimthecat likes this.
  6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

How funny is this, email today from Pets at Home

We know how important spending time with your VIPs is to you, which is why we offer you exciting new opportunities to do just that. We've teamed up with Le Boat, the leading operator of self-drive boating holidays in Europe, to bring you an amazing VIP exclusive offer. Book a boating holiday with Le Boat and using our exclusive VIP code your dog can stay for free!

Le Boat offers self-drive boating holidays in eight countries across Europe, including England and France, and welcomes dogs on board. With a fleet of over 900 comfortable and stylish boats offering the best on the European waterways, there's something for every family and every budget, so get exploring!

Click below to find your next adventure and quote promo code VIPS at the checkout to redeem this exclusive offer!

SusieRainbow and MissSpitzMum like this.
  7. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

We did Norfolk Broads for 2 weeks in the summer holidays the year I left school, with the entire family. My grandparents, aunts, uncles and all us cousins plus the 4 or 5 family jack russells, it was great! If I remember rightly we were spread out over 2 very large boats.

Dogs had little life jackets though as little buggers all liked to swim so were jumping overboard at every given opportunity :rolleyes:

Every evening moored up at a new pub for dinner and drinks (I was allowed a few alchopop’s!). Think the younger cousins were all bored but the adults had a great time getting bladdered every night lol and me, my brother and 1 cousin were treated like adults for a fortnight so it was great for us too!

Always said we’d repeat the experience with our own kids but have to wait now till the grandchildren are a bit older.

MissSpitzMum likes this.
  8. MissSpitzMum

Sounds absolutely lovely! I think we're sold on the idea. I already have a little life jacket for Merlin. :D

9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

We holidayed on the Broads a few times with the family dog with no dramas.

We are taking Jack on a narrow boat in the Summer and don’t anticipate any issues tbh.

He and I can stroll along the tow path as OH steers the boat alongside - handy as his knees stop him walking far with us! :)

We’ve chosen a lock free stretch of canal in Lancashire - extra relaxing.

MissSpitzMum likes this.
  10. MissSpitzMum

You know, @Lurcherlad, I had not actually thought about how good it could be for someone hard of walking. My dad can't walk far, but it would be lovely for him to drive the boat as my mum walked alongside on the tow paths with the dog. Will suggest it to them as a holiday too!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  11. cbcdesign

cbcdesign PetForums VIP

My recommendation is to get a life jacket for your dog. Other than that your dog should love a boating holiday.

Lurcherlad and MissSpitzMum like this.
  12. diefenbaker

diefenbaker PetForums Modmin

Dog gets to spend a whole week outside... or in the pub sharing my steak. What's not to like ? I'd do it again...

[​IMG]

13. houndog

houndog PetForums Member

We lived on a narrowboat for 5 years with two dogs, a whippet and a bedlington terrier. I took 12 months off work and we cruised the canal system before coming back to base. The whippet never got into situation where he ended up in the water but the beddie did. He spotted a dog on the other side and shot across the rear of the boat, straight off into the water! Neither dog appreciated being in the boat when we went through the locks, especially some of the deeper locks such as the ones on the Trent and Mersey through Stoke. The whippet generally got into a panic so we nearly always had him out on the towpath with my other half who did the locks while i did the steering. Other than that, both dogs got on well with living on board.

AmyRedd likes this.
  14. AmyRedd

AmyRedd PetForums Senior

Sounds just like a typical beddie! I bet he was mortified he ended up in the water as well!

We took ours on a boat in the Lake District which he loved and OH is thinking about taking him kayaking but I’m not sure how keen he will be on being that close to the water! I think he’ll need a life jacket haha
    4F316E91-0D3E-4198-A741-E83A0FEE271A.jpeg

Lurcherlad and MontyMaude like this.
  15. houndog

houndog PetForums Member

Yes he was. Once we had got him dry, he went off down the rear of the boat in the bedroom and sulked for several hours. He was a bit of a devil as each timed we moored up somewhere, he figured that bit of towpath was his and everyone who came by soon knew his feelings! My two never did have lifejackets on but the cut is only 4 foot deep in the middle and there is no current so it wasnt a problem. However i think if you are on a river which is deeper and flowing or even on a lake, a lifejacket is a good idea as it gives you something to grab hold of to haul them back in.

16. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I think I shall have to take some plastic netting to tie round the open back end of the boat to keep Jack "in" and possibly on harness and longline when on deck, given his high prey/chase drive for squirrels and rabbits ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice