Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Boarding with Tacit Concent

Discussion in 'Dog Boarding' started by Stcay newman, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Stcay newman

Stcay newman PetForums Newbie

Hi
    I am starting up a little home dog boarding business. I plan to just take 1 dog at a time. I applied for a license and my council works on Tacit Concent. I wondered if anyone had been approved via Tacit Concent and whether you still received a certificate or anything? I can start as of 4th October but I'd prefer to have a certificate to prove it!
    Thank you

2. David Hendra

David Hendra PetForums Newbie

As far as I understand it, tacit consent cannot be used in cases where animal welfare regulations are involved. I could be wrong, but I think you should check back with them (rather than risking a fine and/or a prison sentence!)

3. Stcay newman

Stcay newman PetForums Newbie

Yeah I've checked and have an email explaining that's how they work it's on the Northampton council website....

4. David Hendra

David Hendra PetForums Newbie

It must be different in different areas. For example, in Stockton on Tees, tacit consent does not apply. I can't post the link here but it's easy to find by googling "stockton dog boarding tacit consent"

Either way, you potentially stand to lose out via tacit consent. If you start trading, you'll have to pay all your start-up costs such as equipment, home modifications, annual insurance, etc. and THEN they can decide retrospectively that you don't meet all the Conditions of the 2018 Regulations and you'd have to stop. Personally I wouldn't even consider trading until I had the licence in my hand.

Here in Morecambe (under Lancaster City Council) there's no mention of tacit consent, but in any case we went from the initial idea to board dogs to being fully licensed and trading in less than three weeks. We did it by researching all the 2018 animal regulations, putting together a bullet-proof animal welfare compliance policy and several other business documents that demonstrated exactly how we would run the business. We did all the work before even consulting the council and then we got the local dog warden to do a pre-visit before applying, as a dry-run for our actual inspection visit.

It worked perfectly: we got a two year, four-star licence (the highest you can be awarded as a new boarder.)

I'm currently writing a series of blog posts outlining exactly how we got the licence, and I'm also designing a website (launching soon) to give people extra help with home dog boarding licence applications. The first couple of posts are already on my wife's website.

Again, I'm not allowed to post the link, but you can easily find it by googling Gail's Home Dog Boarding Morecambe and clicking the 'blog' link at the top of the page!

Hope this helps.

David

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice