Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Boarding 5 and a half month old puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Doodle23, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Doodle23

Doodle23 PetForums Newbie

Hi

I have a family funeral to attend when my puppy will be 5 months (plus a couple of weeks) old. My family all live a couple of hours away, so our options would be:

1. Take pup with us and leave him at my parents' house for the afternoon.
    2. Book pup into kennels local to us, for about 36 hours.

I'm unsure about option 1 because he's only been to my parents' house once, and we were with him the entire time apart from when he was having short naps in his crate. I am not sure if he would be distressed being left for a longer period at what is still a strange house to him. With it being a close family member's funeral, I wouldn't want to have to leave early to check on our pup.

I'm unsure about option 2 because of our pup's age. It seems very young to book him into a kennel. However, at least he wouldn't be left alone, he'd have the fun/distraction of other dogs to play with, and it's only for one night.

Just looking for thoughts/advice/suggestions :)

2. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

Could you get a pet sitter to come stay at your house while you’re away? I do that for my clients and sleep over as an alternative to kennels and boarding.

3. Doodle23

I could probably do that if it were a weekend but it’s on a Friday so everyone I know will be at work. We will need to leave Friday morning so the tricky bit is during the day on Friday - the evening and Saturday daytime would probably be doable. Do you think he’s too young for kennels then?

4. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Sorry for your loss. You can get professional puppy sitting services who stay at your house I would do that or take him with me. Is pup crate trained ?

5. Doodle23

thank you. I might look into the puppy sitting idea. He is crate trained yes.

6. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

You also get people how offer home boarding although he will be away from his environment. I personally wouldn’t use kennels especially as he’s so young.

LinznMilly likes this.
  7. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Would his breeder not be able to look after him?

JoanneF likes this.
  8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I too would either take him or leave him at home with a sitter. In kennels he hopefully would not have other dogs to play with. It certainly is not usual to mix them and neither would someone be there all the time. He would get his allotted attention time - walk, food, groom maybe and that would be his lot. If it is a busy kennel he would be lucky if he had someone with him for half an hour in a day and would be locked in his kennel sometimes from 5pm till 7 am.

9. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I'd go for kennels to be honest. That way he's had the experience so if you want to go on holiday it won't be such a shock to him.
    But then I work in a kennels so I am happy with leaving my dogs there. I am personally not so keen on home boarders with various dogs coming and going, not getting quiet time or being able to get away from the other random dogs, but that's just me. You can go and view kennels and boarders and ask about routines etc, and don't leave your pup with anywhere that you aren't happy with.

10. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I do agree that there are different levels of home boarders! Some will take on a lot of dogs and maybe have day care dogs too so there are a few mixing and it can be too exciting or stressful for some dogs. There are some boarders who will only take on one or two dogs at a time so you may be able to find something more suited but I wouldn’t go with the first kind of boarder.

Sarah H likes this.
  11. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I don’t think kennels are a big no no but he won’t get much attention. It depends on the type of dog you have too as to how well they may cope. I was talking about a professional pet sitter who will come and look after your pup at yours, probably the least stressful option.

Doodle23 and Blitz like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice