Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Boarder Collie

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Boarder-Collie :), Aug 17, 2009.

1. Boarder-Collie :)

Boarder-Collie :) PetForums Newbie

Heyy i'm porsh
    i have a boarder collie blue ish one
    and she is called mist i dnt no how to carm her down she is soo exited all the time.
    can anyone help me out?:)

2. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

shes a border collie...they are always excited :)

3. crazycrest

crazycrest PetForums VIP

oooh! send her to me I love the blues :D

4. Savahl

Savahl Guest

how old she is, how many walks a day and for how long, what kind of training you do will all have an effect on energy levels :)

5. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

what are you feeding her ?
    some types of food can make a hyper dog even worse

6. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Yes look at what you are feeding as my rescue B.C was very hyper when I first got him so he is now fed Burns and along with lots of walking and training he is 100% better.

7. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

lots of exercise and quality feed:)

8. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

Best thing to do it tire them out, play around with them, go for walks to the park to play fetch! Then just try and calm her down by stroking her head! But the collie breed are always very exitable, which is why i love them! :D Im guessing you have a blue merle, im sorry to bug you but is there any chance for a photo or two? :D:rolleyes:

9. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

Its the breed of dog it what they born to do...:D mines wont stop 24/7 energy!...:eek:

10. jilly40

jilly40 PetForums VIP

hi there n welcome :D ooh pics please ;) they are a hyper breed lots of walks good food as said i use jwb.also boxes to shred & chew toys games.eva is just over 12 months old now she was a rescue @ aprox 14 weeks old,she can be an imp but she is the most loveing little creature i have ever had the pleasure to meet.let us know how you get on there are loads of peeps on here with years of experiance who can help xxxx

11. lemmsy

lemmsy PetForums VIP

Hello
    I have a border collie too! :)

A few questions:

What do you feed her on?
    How much exercise/stimulation does she get?
    How old is she?

A good diet is important. With a collie I'd recommend an as additive free food as possible. Try Nature Diet- I'd recommend it 100%.
    What I feel is so important with collies is that they have a job to do. They are working dogs and having a job fulfills their lives so much. Without a job they will become frustrated and very often destructive.
    Now my border collie has a lot of working drive and as I don't have a sheep farm and sheep for him to herd, I keep him busy with clicker training tricks and dog agility. I do clicker training with him during the day as much as possible and we go to agility training class once a week and practice various aspects throughout the week (generally daily) with our kit at home. Our current aims are firming up our weaves and contacts :)

Depending on the age of your collie- I'd recommend you make sure she has enough physical exercise (minimum one, preferably two good walks a day) and try and find her a job to do. If she has good basic obedience (recalls, stays, waits, loose lead walking, leave its etc...) you could consider something like agility, or flyball or competitive obedience or working trials or Heelwork to music or even just tricks at home. You need to occupy that clever brain of hers. If not get her to some positive reinforcement only training classes. This will obviously teach her basic obedience and strengthen your relationship with her.

Collies have just recently been announced as the most intelligent breed of dog which really sums up why it is vitally important that they are suficiently stimulated both physically and mentally.
    Dogs as intelligent as two-year-old children - Telegraph

Hope that helps you :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice