UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year I try and find a new board game for Christmas so it's time to start looking now. Has anyone got the board game 'Don't panic', if so is it any good? Any other suggestions? My family are all 14 years and older now so needs to suit them.

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
We've only got the traditional monopoly - which i love, but OH hates with a vengence, it tends only to come out in the snow - two years ago i had to work damn hard for him to say yes to s game of monopoly

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
We got creationary last christmas - love it - you have to build the pictures out of lego and someone has to guess - the only problem is we love it so much we now know all the pictures and I can't find any spare cards online.

·
Don't do nothing. Do something.
7,159 Posts
Good family games if not all board games:

Sort it out - we have played this while preparing Christmas dinner last year (three families with the ten year old in charge of questions and scores) - you have to put the given things in the right order - could be anything, like furthest planets from venus, most long lived animals, tallest tree species. You end up guessing a lot and if it is played in teams, is very lively

Draw it out - like Pictionary but better

Fluxx - any of the series of card games - good for teenagers as it keeps them on their toes as the rules change all the time!

Have a good time :)

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We've only got the traditional monopoly - which i love, but OH hates with a vengence, it tends only to come out in the snow - two years ago i had to work damn hard for him to say yes to s game of monopoly
We have monopoly. One of my sons always asks to play it but I have to admit I need to be in the right mood to tackle it. We always put a time limit on it too as it does tend to go on

We got creationary last christmas - love it - you have to build the pictures out of lego and someone has to guess - the only problem is we love it so much we now know all the pictures and I can't find any spare cards online.
I think my boys would have loved this when they were a bit younger

Good family games if not all board games:

Sort it out - we have played this while preparing Christmas dinner last year (three families with the ten year old in charge of questions and scores) - you have to put the given things in the right order - could be anything, like furthest planets from venus, most long lived animals, tallest tree species. You end up guessing a lot and if it is played in teams, is very lively

Draw it out - like Pictionary but better

Fluxx - any of the series of card games - good for teenagers as it keeps them on their toes as the rules change all the time!

Have a good time :)
Sort it out is one I looked at and considered so it will go on the possible list, Draw it out I have not heard of, will have a look at it, Fluxx I have never heard of but looks good and has good reviews so will also put on possible list.

Another one I have been looking at is Logo and Best of British, has anyone played these?

·
Don't do nothing. Do something.
7,159 Posts
Don't know how much you want to get in to it, but there is a site called boardgamegeek that will give you a review of almost any game, and another one called Gameslore that will sell you them. We started a couple of years ago trying to wean teens away from their phones, and it really works.

Maponimoes is also good.I think Europe is best because it is a manageable size without too many islands! Like dominoes but you can only put a country card down if it borders one already on the table.

·
We are all Ukraine
23,817 Posts
I just got Cranium Cadoo and we love it!!!! It is fine for older kids too... a mix of pictionary, sharades, and so on...croos breed of few games really but with lots to do..great for rainy midterm..;)...

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
People still play board games? I thought they were glued to TVs, video games and IPhones nowadays. :rolleyes:

I used to play chess, stratego, sorry, backgammon, scrabble, super rack-o when I was little. I would still if I had someone to play against.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just got Cranium Cadoo and we love it!!!! It is fine for older kids too... a mix of pictionary, sharades, and so on...croos breed of few games really but with lots to do..great for rainy midterm..;)...
We have played this before and enjoyed it

People still play board games? I thought they were glued to TVs, video games and IPhones nowadays. :rolleyes:

I used to play chess, stratego, sorry, backgammon, scrabble, super rack-o when I was little. I would still if I had someone to play against.
We still play board games. I do have to cajole them into it sometimes but they always enjoy it once they get started. I have never got to grips with chess or backgammon but did used to play sorry and still play scrabble occasionally now

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
I think my boys would have loved this when they were a bit younger
LOL - my lot are 16,17 and 18 :D

Continuo is a great game for all ages - simple rules so anyone can play (even after a few to many glasses of Christmas cheer ;) )

I don't think you can beat UNO - we make up all sorts of rules of our own and play with multiple packs :D

Pass the pig - great silly fun :)

Yatzee - you can't beat some of the old classics :p

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
LOL - my lot are 16,17 and 18 :D

I don't think you can beat UNO - we make up all sorts of rules of our own and play with multiple packs :D

Yatzee - you can't beat some of the old classics :p
here here! 21 and 16

son (16) had friends over for his birthday, they played Scene it and then Logo.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.