Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Blue Staffy Puppy Skin Problems (Help ASAP)

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by SkyeBlueGram, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Buddydad

Buddydad PetForums Junior

I would want to ensure my vet understood disease that affect the immune system as steroids suppress the immune system and can worsen skin infections . I would be asking for a second opinion - vets seem to prescribe steroids when they don't know what the root of the problem is and they can cause more harm then good...What blood, urine, faecal tests have they done to determine steroid treatment is appropriate ?

Presumably blood and urine tests have been done to rule out infections, low pancreatic enzymes, low vitamin B12 etc. Endocrine disorders or digestive disorder resulting in deficiency of essential nutrients and hair loss ??

2. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Some people can't or don't want to pay for all that. They just want some pills or an injection to make the itching go away.

Not at all suggesting that this applies to the OP, btw. Just pointing out that there are other reasons for vets to prescribe steroids than ignorance.

3. Buddydad

Buddydad PetForums Junior

I agree but compared to the cost of multiple vet visits and unnecessary and potentially harmful drugs, a full blood profile is a good investment imo.

Steroids seem to be the I don't know what's wrong with your dog drug and shouldn't be prescribed in ignorance. In my experience some vets don't understand endocrine disorders like hypothyroidism and cushings and the consequences of dishing out drugs like Metacam and Prednisone like smarties.

4. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Steroids are also prescribed by dermatologists in many cases, greatly improve the quality of life of some cancer patients, and can be life saving in immune-mediated conditions. They have their place and should not be demonised simply because they have side effects - as do many medications.

I do not dispute the value of a thorough diagnostic work-up, but unfortunately the veterinary profession has a reputation for 'bill padding' and 'running lots of unecessary tests' (and internet forums like this one have fed into this perception). Therefore some people are wary of diagnostics and others downright opposed.

They just want the pills to fix the problem.

And the profession just can't win - some say too many tests, some say not enough.

5. Kim wiltshire

Kim wiltshire PetForums Newbie

Hi
    Just wondering if you have sorted your dogs skin problems ?

6. Lisajell87

Lisajell87 PetForums Newbie

Hi

Has your pups allergies gotten any better? Only I have a 5 month old blue staffy and she’s got skin allergies just like your photos. We are changing her diet, she has special shampoo and she’s had a couple of doses of steroids now.
    Praying something happens soon can not are to see her so uncomfortable any longer.

Thanks Lisa

7. Kim wiltshire

My blue staffy is 18 months now and he’s suffered from ear infections and itchy skin since a pup. I’ve worked out he is allergic to chicken turkey beef, some fish and lamb, also anything with wheat or grains in. He is on a diet of raw tripe and cooked veg. I sometimes give him tinned sardines in spring water (Sainsbury’s). I’m just trialing him with rabbit as I don’t want to feed him just tripe.. but it’s a lot cheaper than the vets bills which cost me a small fortune when he was a pup. I’m sure with my dog it is food allergies and not seasonal as he has it all year round.

Lisajell87 likes this.
  8. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

Just be aware, I'm sure you personally already are, that rabbit is not good for dogs when fed in excess
    Also
    If feeding raw, he does need offal and bone added, or supplements to replace these, to get a healthy balanced diet

9. Lisajell87

Thank you so much.
    She is definitely allergic to meat so we have stopped giving her that and has been on fish and veg.
    After the vet visit yesterday we are now going to cut out wheat and dairy also.

10. Kim wiltshire

Your welcome, it’s horrible to see your pet constantly scratching and miserable.
    I do give him kefir a couple of times a week and he loves the dried sprats you can get from pets at home.
    The vet prescribed 5mg prednicare per day and I’ve managed to cut it down to a quarter of a tablet.
    His allergies have by no way been cured but they’re under control , no vet visits for 8 months now .

11. Kim wiltshire

12. Kim wiltshire

Thanks for your reply.
    It’s very difficult with benny as he is allergic to almost every meat.
    He can’t eat most of the bones and offal that’s easily available.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated though as I have spent hours surfing through the internet .

13. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

Have you tried 'novel' meat, such as kangaroo, ostrich, zebra, venison horse etc?
    Ones he will never had a chance to have eaten before, so his immune system wont 'know' them
    Just be aware some minces are bulked out with chicken but chunks, or steaks are OK, although a little pricey, would probably still work out cheaper than repeated vet visits and medication

https://www.onlinebutcher.co.uk/

https://www.keziefoods.co.uk/Catalogue/Lean-Meats/Exotic-Meats

https://www.kiezebrink.co.uk/category/181-horse-meat

#33 mrs phas, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  14. Lisajell87

Has anyone experienced there puppy having constant ear infections with their allergies Zena now has her second one and after been given antibiotics and steroids it seems to have gotten worse :( she is so uncomfortable and ripping her ear to shreds I just wish I could find something to help her

15. Kim wiltshire

hi

16. Kim wiltshire

Hi
    Unfortunately these come hand in hand with the itchy skin . I find aromesse itchy ear drops are excellent, they do sooth the ear and if I see bennys ear starting to flare up I use these and they do seem to help.
    Poor zena hope she's better soon

17. Lisajell87

Thank you, another trip to the vets she is on prednisolone tablets and canaural ear drops and just in that one day she has made a massive improvement. Although I know this is a temporary fix.

18. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums Senior

So pleased to hear she is more comfortable

Lisajell87 likes this.
  19. Lisajell87

She settled through the night much better

Attached Files:

20. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums Senior

Looks like she's loving her bone:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice