Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Blue merle collie

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by fire-siamesekitty, Jun 12, 2010.

1. fire-siamesekitty

fire-siamesekitty PetForums VIP

Im thinking of getting myself a blue merle collie puppy, ive always wanted one ive looked up websites.Just wondering if anyone else knows of any other websites that i can look up.Thanks for any responses.

2. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

3. fire-siamesekitty

thanks..................

4. mistymilo

mistymilo PetForums Senior

What kind of websites are you looking for?

5. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

I'd love one but think i should wait a while!

Laura :)

6. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

hi you looking for a rough blue merle or a border collie bm?

7. tsgray70

tsgray70 PetForums Member

Im sure you already have but....

Blue Merles are beautiful dogs but underneath the coat lies a Collie. If you have never had a Collie, please read up on the breed in general. We have a Border Collie and she is very special. But Collies have their own unique needs and can be hard work.

Best of luck.

8. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

Smooth Collies come in blue merle - they are a gorgeous breed but rare

9. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

becoming more popular again.................

10. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

lol! I would agree with this 100%! Very hard work but can be very rewarding too. Far too many in rescue though as people haven't researched before getting them and then give up. Bundles of non stop energy right from the start! lol!

11. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

We had a rough collie when I was younger - guess what I named her! Lassie! Well I was only young! Sadly she was only a year old when she had to be PTS. She wasn't a pedigree and came from a rescue shelter. She had health issues right from the start poor baby. Our neighbour was a vet and we did everything we could but couldn't save her. We were devastated.

My Gran is on her 4th Sheltie now. She loves them! Very cute little collies. She had a sable and white one when my Mum and Uncle were small then when we were small she had a sable and white girl and a blue merle boy (not to breed) and now she has a black and white boy. I love the blue merle colourings. Pat had one blue eye and one brown eye - is that normal for the merles or does it vary with each dog?

12. slbrown2108

slbrown2108 PetForums Senior

i also love the blue merle collies yes generally they have different coloured eyes i think it adds to the rarity of the colouring

13. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

If you look under the breed and then breeders on the below site, you might find a breeder you like who is advertising or planning a mating with a likelihood of merle puppies... also use this site to find breeders that you can then go and investigate their websites - many do not advertise as their pups are booked up way in advance of the litter being born.

Champdogs - Promoting Responsible Dog Breeding - Online Since 1999

Just a word of warning as you dont say what experience you have of the breed (assuming Border Collie - but applies to any breed) - please don't look for the colour as your first priority - please research the breeders pratices and health & temperament of dam/sire and other relatives before deciding on a breeder and/or pup.

If it is a BC you are looking for and you need any further info on the breed, how to find a good BC breeder, or what health issues to look out for etc etc, just PM me - I'm happy to advise. :)

14. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Aww, now thats the kind of collie I would like! You get all of the fun but alot less drama!;)

15. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

lol! The first 1 was from a pup and was great for my Mum and Uncle when they were young. The second one - female sable and white - was a great girl. She was sold by a breeder after having a couple of litters. She was a real character and used to drag the next one - a rescued male blue merle - off my grans knee if he was up there too long! Then she'd run rings round him literally - little miss attitude! The merle one was treated badly and my gran rescued him. It took him a while but he came on great and was truly my favourite - my little shy boy. I grew up with those two dogs. The one she has now is a total head case but again rescued from a breeder. She went to see him and he was kept in such an awful situation she felt she had to take him. Bad I know but she felt so sorry for him she couldn't leave him. My gran lives on her own and he is great with her - loves her to bits and great company but when any of us go in the house he hides under the table and refuses to budge! She feeds him M&S plain cooked chicken and all sorts of nice thingsr. She just won't be told. She doesn't overfeed him though. He's very healthy. At my Mums he's better with us but follows gran everywhere and won't talk to anyone else! I was sitting on the sofa at my Mums one day and he lept up onto my knee and got such a fright when he realised what he'd done as he obviously thought it was my gran at first! lol! His wee face wa s apicture! We tried and tried to encourage him to come to us but I guess he's just not going to change and always be shy. When I reach down to clap him when I'm at the table he looks away but lets me or anyone clap him but won't actually come to us. He's some boy! He's happy enough in his own little bubble and loves watching the kids and playing with Mac - in the garden away from us of course!

16. fire-siamesekitty

blue merle collie puppy.....sorry i didnt reply sooner been busy.

17. fire-siamesekitty

#17 fire-siamesekitty, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  18. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

no problem - I love the colours myself and there are a lot of unscrupulous breeders out there that breed for colour first without thinking of anything else. there are a lot of good breeders too but you just have to be prepared to wait a bit usually to get what you want. :)

shame as there were two litters recently that had blue merles in them, but both are now gone.

what will you be 'doing' with the pup? not sure if you had plans for agility, flyball? anything like that? most of the ones I know of prefer to sell to homes that will be doing something regularly like one of the dog sports, as they are usually too high drive for pets in their breeding.

depending on what kind of home you can offer, there are the following i know of:

passim have a litter just born a few days back - not sure if any are available still though - looks like she has some merles:
    litters

you could enquire of maggie at arnpriors - she is very 'into' her merles and although I dont think she has any puppies at the mo, she may be able to advise: index.html

or bryning have blue merle pups expected later this year out of Bryning Bright Spark to Locheil Lets Pretend at Bryning:
    Planned & Expected Litters

19. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Please consider a rescue. As somebody else has pointed out, there are lots of collie's in rescue, who would love a good home! :thumbup:

20. mistymilo

mistymilo PetForums Senior

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice