Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Blue is now on RAW. Quick question please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by BumbleFluff, Jan 5, 2012.

1. BumbleFluff

BumbleFluff PetForums VIP

Blue has been on raw for a few days now, all is going well, no upset tummys or accidents so shes taken to it really well.
    shes nearly 16week (4 months) and ive read that puppies need 10% of
    her ideal body weight (border collies min 14kg-max 20kg) how old should she be when the percentage is decreased? And should it be decreased gradually ie. 8% for a month then 7% then 6% etc etc?
    Sorry for sounding like a numpty, ive never fed raw before so i want to make sure i get it right :eek:

2. terencesmum

terencesmum PetForums VIP

It's 2-3% of their ideal adult weight which sort of means 10% of their weight at that age.

3. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I just reduced Kilo's food as his growth slowed by looking at his body condition - if he started getting slightly bigger than I liked I reduced it, if a bit too skinny I increased it again.

4. astro2011

astro2011 PetForums VIP

I was lead to believe it is 10% of the puppys actual weight until they reach the 3% amount of adult body weight, you should back the amount down the 2-3% for normal feeding.

5. terencesmum

For Terence it worked out roughly the same. The 10% of his puppy weight was about 400g (we switched when he was tiny) and the 2-3% of the ideal SBT weight works out about a pound give or take a bit, so that is a comparable amount. ;)

I went for the 2-3% of adult weight straight away because it is easier for me because I don't have to keep changing the daily amounts

It turns out that Terence is getting to a good weight for a SBT. He is 17.5 kg now, about 3 stone (I think), at 6 months so I will have to keep an eye on his amounts.

But generally, I find it easier to just stick to the adult amount from day 1. :)

6. BumbleFluff

Ok thanks guys :) i am currently feeding 10% of her current weight, because i thought 10% of her ideal weight was a bit extreme! Common sense and all that :eek: that meant i wouldve had to feed 1.7kg per day! Deary me.

7. terencesmum

Hehe, it is confusing at the start, isn't it?
    Good luck! xx

8. BumbleFluff

Yep, just getting used to it all, glad i was getting it right in the first place then :) Im quite pleased at the price of everything too....i have 2 butchers in my town, one place i got 4kg of chicken carcusses for 50p and the other place gave me nearly 6kg for free, but i donated most of my change out my purse in the charity box (which wasnt alot, about 20p worth...i dont often carry change!) next month im going to go mental and buy loads of meats with my wages :D

9. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I fed 1.5kg per day at one point; but Kilo is a big lump!

10. kaz25

kaz25 PetForums VIP

It's the same for cats and my 2 are currently fed 2.5% of their expected adult weight. Not sure what exactly that weight is because they're moggies but I've guessed it at 4.5kg just now.

If I ever get a pup it will be on raw but I'll just start on the 2.5% of expected adult weight straight away as it would confuse me trying to change the amounts.

11. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Think that's fine for the majority of dogs but wouldn't necessarily want to try with giant breeds. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice